5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent power delivery when going full throttle

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've tried this quite a few times especially when I start noticing the responsiveness begin to get sluggish. It does seem to work: The pedal feels a lot more responsive and it does seem to accelerate better and more consistently. However, I feel like it only lasts about 50 miles of driving and then it goes back to before so I feel like I have to keep resetting it. Do I have to drive it hard after resetting it to train the trucks ecu to accelerate better?
So far its been working for me but only when on the highway when I engage in medium to high throttle. I reset mine on Saturday and I've driven about 75-80 miles. I've noticed no change during light throttle/city driving. What kind of driving have you been doing?

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
I definitely notice the increased throttle response most of the time, full throttle downshifts feel nice and healthy but eventually it goes away shortly after driving normally. I'll go full throttle every 5-10 miles or so for a few seconds depending on what speed I am at. I have noticed that it pulls great from a 30-35 mph roll most consistently when 4x4 auto or high is engaged but then loses a bit of speed towards the top end with the increased drivetrain loss. I've also noticed if I go full throttle on a low roll and lose a little traction, I almost always get full power once it hooks again. There's definitely something limiting either power or the throttle opening all the way under certain conditions. I used to have a 2016 F150 5.0L which I thought was pretty quick for what it was especially with the old 6 speed and even though the ram definitely feels faster when the engine actually performs the way it should, the f150 and basically any other car I've owned was more consistent. Full throttle = full power. It was that simple lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I definitely notice the increased throttle response most of the time, full throttle downshifts feel nice and healthy but eventually it goes away shortly after driving normally. I'll go full throttle every 5-10 miles or so for a few seconds depending on what speed I am at. I have noticed that it pulls great from a 30-35 mph roll most consistently when 4x4 auto or high is engaged but then loses a bit of speed towards the top end with the increased drivetrain loss. I've also noticed if I go full throttle on a low roll and lose a little traction, I almost always get full power once it hooks again. There's definitely something limiting either power or the throttle opening all the way under certain conditions. I used to have a 2016 F150 5.0L which I thought was pretty quick for what it was especially with the old 6 speed and even though the ram definitely feels faster when the engine actually performs the way it should, the f150 and basically any other car I've owned was more consistent. Full throttle = full power. It was that simple lol
Ah ok, soinds about right. The weird thing is I feel like my Ram actually has a better power curve/power delivery than my 2011 Charger RT had. And my 2013 F-150 5.0 was exactly how you describe it. It has to be a limiter or govner in the Hemi engines...we know the power is there and MOSTLY excessable. This is why I'm going to order a Banks Pedal Monster in a couple weeks....if that doesn't make the difference then I'll just get a OBD port Tuner...one of those just has to make a difference. Got a whole thread going on now regarding Throttle controllers....more input is needed and always welcomed!

Bassinb

Reaction score

It sounds to me that you are experiencing torque management and traction control when you are spinning the tires. Both products of the ecu tune. Most vehicles are tuned to defuel near shift points to minimize drivetrain shock and excessive wear on those components. A good tune will reduce that "loss of power" feeling. Products like the pedal commander, or pedal monster usually do not have an effect on those things to my knowledge. They are only altering the throttle signal.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
Ah ok, soinds about right. The weird thing is I feel like my Ram actually has a better power curve/power delivery than my 2011 Charger RT had. And my 2013 F-150 5.0 was exactly how you describe it. It has to be a limiter or govner in the Hemi engines...we know the power is there and MOSTLY excessable. This is why I'm going to order a Banks Pedal Monster in a couple weeks....if that doesn't make the difference then I'll just get a OBD port Tuner...one of those just has to make a difference. Got a whole thread going on now regarding Throttle controllers....more input is needed and always welcomed!

I agree 100%. I also had a 2013 Charger R/T AWD with the 5 speed and even though its the same engine (ram is rated at 25 more hp and 15 lb.-ft of torque but is at least 1,000 lbs. heavier) the ram felt like it pulled harder when it actually performed the way it should. In fact, when I had my charger, I remember racing my buddy from a roll in his Ram Laramie 8 speed (this was the older body style) and I was shocked at how well he kept up. From about 40-almost 100 mph I wasn't even 2 car lengths ahead. Anyways, I've been experimenting with different throttle applications and I think I may have found a breakthrough...kinda. I feel like when I press the throttle in about 20%, or jus enough to get some type of response from the engine, and then immediately mash it, it responds much better and performs a lot better

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I also had a 2013 Charger R/T AWD with the 5 speed and even though its the same engine (ram is rated at 25 more hp and 15 lb.-ft of torque but is at least 1,000 lbs. heavier) the ram felt like it pulled harder when it actually performed the way it should. In fact, when I had my charger, I remember racing my buddy from a roll in his Ram Laramie 8 speed (this was the older body style) and I was shocked at how well he kept up. From about 40-almost 100 mph I wasn't even 2 car lengths ahead. Anyways, I've been experimenting with different throttle applications and I think I may have found a breakthrough...kinda. I feel like when I press the throttle in about 20%, or jus enough to get some type of response from the engine, and then immediately mash it, it responds much better and performs a lot better
That makes sense since the engine in the Ram is tuned and geared a little differently. I did smoke a Pontiac G8 GT with my Charger RT...so that was nice lol. But as far as the trick with the throttle....I know exactly what you mean, I've done that too. This is why I want the throttle controller...that way I don't have to fines' the pedal.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
Yeah I had two chargers: a 2013 R/T AWD and a 2014 R/T 100th anniversary that only came in RWD. Was your RWD or AWD? Both had 3.06 gears which was leaps and bounds above the standard 2.65. I knew the RWD would be a little quicker because of the lighter weight and decreased drivetrain loss but it was a LOT faster than the AWD, especially over 100

but about the ram, I know what you mean about finessing the pedal and its really frustrating. Just when I think I've got the protocol down and can replicate its performance it starts restricting power again....so damn frustrating. Any time ram wants to advertise the ram's "395 hp and 410 lb.-ft. of torque" it should have an asterisk with a reference point stating, "when the engine feels like it"

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I had two chargers: a 2013 R/T AWD and a 2014 R/T 100th anniversary that only came in RWD. Was your RWD or AWD? Both had 3.06 gears which was leaps and bounds above the standard 2.65. I knew the RWD would be a little quicker because of the lighter weight and decreased drivetrain loss but it was a LOT faster than the AWD, especially over 100

but about the ram, I know what you mean about finessing the pedal and its really frustrating. Just when I think I've got the protocol down and can replicate its performance it starts restricting power again....so damn frustrating. Any time ram wants to advertise the ram's "395 hp and 410 lb.-ft. of torque" it should have an asterisk with a reference point stating, "when the engine feels like it"
Lol I hear that. My Charger was RWD...I don't know what the gearing was but since it wasn't the Road & Track edition it might've had the standard gearing. I really don't have problems with my Ram but I was curious about how a throttle controller would feel so I just got a JMS PedalMax in the mail yesterday and I'll hook it up later today to see how well it does.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
Hey any updates on that JMS PedalMax?

Funny story: I lent my truck to my cousin who needed to haul some things so we switched cars for a few hours. He has a lead foot like I do and upon returning the car he said, you shoulda got the hemi that thing is slow as f*ck lol. The look of disbelief on his face after discovering I did in fact have the hemi was priceless

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Funny story: I lent my truck to my cousin who needed to haul some things so we switched cars for a few hours. He has a lead foot like I do and upon returning the car he said, you shoulda got the hemi that thing is slow as f*ck lol. The look of disbelief on his face after discovering I did in fact have the hemi was priceless
Ouch lol.
But yes...the PedalMax is great! I really like the analog control dial that connects to the unit with the separate wire. I'll post a picture of how I have it mounted in a few. But it definitely does help with throttle response if set between the 25-50% position. I found out that the pedal in our Rams has a dead spot in the first half inch of pressing down (this is by design to prevent spinning the tires) and that even a ECU tune doesn't fix that. But after that dead spot...the PedalMax definitely helps bring the throttle response up as well as it seems to make the position of the pedal to throttle response more precise and accurate. (If that makes sense). Best customer service I've experienced so far out of all the other companies as well as a very good warranty. I just wish the analog dial controller lit up or would glow in the dark.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Here it is..

Attachments

• 20201020_101128.jpg
    20201020_101128.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 45

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20201020_101155.jpg
    20201020_101155.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 37

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics (y)

I'm definitely considering investing in one of these. Does the throttle controller reset back to its default settings every time you turn the truck off or does it save the position until you change it?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics (y)

I'm definitely considering investing in one of these. Does the throttle controller reset back to its default settings every time you turn the truck off or does it save the position until you change it?
It will save the setting. Also..you can set it where you want it and disconnect the dial controller if you don't want any wires around. You'll just have to plug it back in to adjust it or turn it off. I think the PedalMax is the best option out there. JMS had really good customer service and the unit has a 3 year warranty...USA made of course lol.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
hey sorry this is a bit late I meant to post this earlier but I met an acquaintance whose lease is going back so he is willing to sell me his pedal commander at a deep discounted price. He said he's only had it for about 6 months. Is each pedal commander/pedalmax linked to a specific vehicle? Or can you transfer from one vehicle to another?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey sorry this is a bit late I meant to post this earlier but I met an acquaintance whose lease is going back so he is willing to sell me his pedal commander at a deep discounted price. He said he's only had it for about 6 months. Is each pedal commander/pedalmax linked to a specific vehicle? Or can you transfer from one vehicle to another?
From what I understand each throttle controller is linked to a specific vehicle. If you have the same vehicle/engine as he did/does than it should work.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Anyone hear of a Black Friday sale for these? I've spent my budget on new wheels and tires. Hoping to save a bit on one of these throttle controllers. The Pedal Commander has a $60 off sale right now but when your starting price is $400 that's not a hell of a lot.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
What i noticed is that on my stock truck 3800-4k rpm the truck feels like "vtec just kicked in yo."

Even the fourth gen loaner i got has the same feeling. Plus the fourth gen shift from eco to not eco and vice versa is way smoother.

Think i got other issues going on as well with my truck though - still have to call ram cares and try and get it sorted.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What i noticed is that on my stock truck 3800-4k rpm the truck feels like "vtec just kicked in yo."

Even the fourth gen loaner i got has the same feeling. Plus the fourth gen shift from eco to not eco and vice versa is way smoother.

Think i got other issues going on as well with my truck though - still have to call ram cares and try and get it sorted.
That makes sense since you're not using most of the torque/HP until you get past 3,000 RPMS for NA engines.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone hear of a Black Friday sale for these? I've spent my budget on new wheels and tires. Hoping to save a bit on one of these throttle controllers. The Pedal Commander has a $60 off sale right now but when your starting price is $400 that's not a hell of a lot.
You could do worse. As long as you get one that's programmed for your exact vehicle. But keep checking the websites...because I know that Banks and JMS had a spot to use a coupon code in the checkout process, so I'm sure they'll be running sales and discounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online