5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In between lowering kit

Cross88

Reaction score
I currently have the 2” drop springs in the rear and love the look, still have about 1.25” of rake which will be perfect for towing when I get my travel trailer. But I’ve also been contemplating going slightly lower. I don’t want to go the only other option which is the 3/5 kit. I would honestly prefer a 1/3. My question is, does anyone have any experience or know a possible way that isn’t 1. Going to ride like complete sh!t and 2. Going to be a complete custom fab work and break the bank. I’ve heard cutting coils makes for a very bouncy sh!tty ride. Thank you in advance.

chad202

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting for one to come out.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have cut coils on several of my cars, with very good results. The key is, you can't get carried away, and you have to do it right. Use a cutoff wheel or a sharp saw. Try to impart minimum heat into the wire. (Don't EVER use a torch. It will ruin the spring.)
A lot of people will argue against this, but I stand by my statement. Springs have no idea how long they are, or how long they "used to be". There are mathematical formulas to calculate spring rates, just know that a given spring, cut by 10% of its length, will have a spring rate approximately 20% higher than original. More or less.
The most I have ever cut is ~1.5 coils. I usually only cut one coil.
You also have to pay attention to the suspension travel. That includes possibly modifying the rubber bump stops.

With all of that said... I believe the Ram front springs are "tapered" (top and bottom coils are smaller than the main part of the spring) so that the springs will seat into smaller perches at the top and bottom of the struts.
I could easily be wrong about this point, but it looked that way from one of the many videos posted on YouTube.
If that's the case, cutting them is not an option.

Cross88

Reaction score
im half tempted to try cutting my factory rear springs to a point where it sits a little lower than the 2" drop springs currently in the truck. I know ill never want to go back to stock height again, and if I mess up then ill always have the 2" drop springs to fall back on.

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
I cut my factory springs to lower the rear I ended up dropping like almost 4" to make the truck perfectly level. I also installed shorter sway bar links from a new model tahoe or escalade got the idea when I tried my wifes 16 Escalade links on my truck.
20190902_095343.jpg

Cross88

Reaction score
Looks good! What’s crazy is how a perfectly level truck almost looks nose high. How does it ride with that much oem spring cut? And what’s the need for shorter links?

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Thanks I love it, it rides still like stock to me. The shorter links are because with as much drop as it has the sway bar was pushed down causing the rear to sway. Also the gm SUV links are much beefier then the stock ram one's seems to tighten up the sway a hair.. could be just in my head though. Lol u have to be very careful though cause its pretty dramatic how much I cut so the spring is much shorter.

Cross88

Reaction score
Thanks I love it, it rides still like stock to me. The shorter links are because with as much drop as it has the sway bar was pushed down causing the rear to sway. Also the gm SUV links are much beefier then the stock ram one's seems to tighten up the sway a hair.. could be just in my head though. Lol u have to be very careful though cause its pretty dramatic how much I cut so the spring is much shorter.

you plan on running helper airbags at all? With as much spring as you cut and how level it is unladen, I would think any sort of load, even a full cab of people would make it squat.

Cross88

Reaction score

how much exactly did you cut off? Cuz I still have my oem springs, I also have timbren load support bump stop replacements and I just had enough load to make them rest on the axle pads and it actually rode pretty well.

Hockeydad

Reaction score
I have McGaughy’s 2” rear lowering springs and recently cut 3/4” off them. the rear is now a 1/4” higher then the front. Will add helper bags later if I plan on towing anything. I also installed the Hellwig sway bar so no more water wagon sway. The ride is just as smooth as stock. FEDDC6F0-16F9-4EA7-A103-183C743651EF.jpeg

Cross88

Reaction score
I have McGaughy’s 2” rear lowering springs and recently cut 3/4” off them. the rear is now a 1/4” higher then the front. Will add helper bags later if I plan on towing anything. I also installed the Hellwig sway bar so no more water wagon sway. The ride is just as smooth as stock. View attachment 40042

Is the mcquaghys kit actually for the 19? I wonder if it’s the same spring rate/set up as the other one everyone else is running including myself.

Hockeydad

Reaction score
Is the mcquaghys kit actually for the 19? I wonder if it’s the same spring rate/set up as the other one everyone else is running including myself.
I’m pretty sure it’s the same ones everyone else is getting from Accessory Partners they might be called Maxtrac springs.

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
you plan on running helper airbags at all? With as much spring as you cut and how level it is unladen, I would think any sort of load, even a full cab of people would make it squat.
Sorry been working alot just finished a 2 month shutdown. I tow a 20ft champion 202 elite bass boat all the time to the lake about 2hrs from me with it while it squats very little it's not bad enough to bother me. Could really use a helper kit but I'm actually about to order the 3/5 or 4/6 adjustable lowering kit from IHC. Then I'll put helper bags on it to pull the boat.

Cross88

Reaction score
Sorry been working alot just finished a 2 month shutdown. I tow a 20ft champion 202 elite bass boat all the time to the lake about 2hrs from me with it while it squats very little it's not bad enough to bother me. Could really use a helper kit but I'm actually about to order the 3/5 or 4/6 adjustable lowering kit from IHC. Then I'll put helper bags on it to pull the boat.

when you get that done post an update, cuz I’ve started to get interested in that kit as well but I also have a 32’ TT 6500lb dry weight to worry about. I have a nice WDH with plenty of adjustability if I go that low, but a good helper bag set up would be required.

Users who are viewing this thread