5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving the handling

mjw930

Reaction score
Does the four corner air suspension do anything as far handling in turns?
I believe it does. IMHO the ride is both smoother and better controlled. I drove the same spec truck with and without 4 corner air and it was a no brainer. The only down side is you can’t upgrade the front damper, it’s integral to the air suspension. You can upgrade the rear but quite honestly the engineers got it right on this one so I have no desire to throw money at this trucks suspension, which is a first for me.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the four corner air suspension do anything as far handling in turns?
I believe the 4 corner air makes adjustments throughout a turn. I came from a 17 Ford, and my limited ram is much flatter through turns. Body roll is minimal at best. OP must have driven a truck with different suspension. Maybe he should test drive the air ride.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rebel with air suspension and I did change out factory 18"x8" wheels for Fuel Hardline 18"x9"'s with +1 offset. The tires/wheels moved out just under an inch and line up perfectly with factory option running board. That alone made a handling difference but then Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires have beefier sidewalls than other trim level OEM tires. I like the way it handles but do notice some lean on long corners so I got the old trusty credit card out and ordered the Hellwig rear bar from Amazon, a new trucks best friend! Waiting for warmer weather to install it. Can't wait to see how it drives after. :geek: first Pic is in entry/exit mode after its bath. (looks sinister down low) IMG_2622.jpg IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3294.JPG

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
nice i love the hood of your truck may get 1

have to dip into the secret stash

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

cw_mi

Reaction score
I thought airing the tires up made a huge difference. The dealer delivered the truck with 37lbs , i put 50lbs and am much happier.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rebel with air suspension and I did change out factory 18"x8" wheels for Fuel Hardline 18"x9"'s with +1 offset. The tires/wheels moved out just under an inch and line up perfectly with factory option running board. That alone made a handling difference but then Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires have beefier sidewalls than other trim level OEM tires. I like the way it handles but do notice some lean on long corners so I got the old trusty credit card out and ordered the Hellwig rear bar from Amazon, a new trucks best friend! Waiting for warmer weather to install it. Can't wait to see how it drives after. :geek: first Pic is in entry/exit mode after its bath. (looks sinister down low) View attachment 17079 View attachment 17081 View attachment 17084

How do you like it now that the Hellwig is in? Does it make a big enough difference? Want to know if it’s worth buying. Also what part # is it?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say my 2016 F150 Lariat FX4 cornered a lot better than my new Ram. That’s the only positive over the Ram though. I bought the Ram strictly because of how smooth it is. I have a newborn and he bounced around in the Ford. Now he sleeps like the baby he is in the Ram. But on ramps are not fun anymore. Definitely not as planted.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m all for upgrading things on truck. Is the hellwig worth the cost? That big of improvement? Thoughts peeps that have.
I’m not after sport Corning. more control/ help with towing and planted them yes I would be game.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you like it now that the Hellwig is in? Does it make a big enough difference? Want to know if it’s worth buying. Also what part # is it?
I like it a lot. I put the link on middle hole #2 but may try the highest setting (closest of 3 to axle). The Helwig bar is #7709 and available on Amazon. Easy install and while driving, a quick lane change or fast corner shows a fairly crisp and flat response. There is an entire thread about this sway bar that you should read also. It apparently really makes towing feel more solid and slow speed bumps have less side to side shake. When you feel how light weight the hollow stock bar is and how heavy and solid the Helwig, you know it will make a definite difference. Search Helwig sway bar in "search" window of forum (at top) to find that other thread to get other members comments. :cool:

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
Not really sure what your expectations for a truck are. They are not supposed to to handle like a car or SUV. However, there's rumors that LOTUS or one of those expensive foreign car companies are coming out with a "Truck", might want to look into those. Not trying to be jerk or anything

Trader

Reaction score
I drive modified Audi's with track coilover suspensions, a Porsche Cayenne, drive in HPDE events and am a driving instructor for our EMS unit. This truck handles insanely well, period, not just for a large truck. I can't imagine spending money trying to improve handling, improvements will be marginal at best.
I agree. My truck is a limited, 4x4, air ride with the off road group. In the past I wouldn’t hesitate to add a sway bar to a truck but not this one. For a truck it is great IMO. My other car is a Porsche Cayman that I did change the bars (x73’s) on it.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve found that the “search” on this website doesn’t always yield what I’m looking for. Almost every thread I find says “there’s plenty of threads about this, look them up” and when I do I find more of the same answer.

Do you have any negative impressions of the Hellwig? You have it set to the mid setting and that isn’t stuff enough? You want it stiffer?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the Hellwig sway bar and was frankly surprised how much difference it made. I already thought the ride was pretty good, but body roll is far less pronounced now. A worthy (and simple) upgrade IMO.
How much is the hellwig? anyone got a direct link for the ones for our trucks?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve found that the “search” on this website doesn’t always yield what I’m looking for. Almost every thread I find says “there’s plenty of threads about this, look them up” and when I do I find more of the same answer.

Do you have any negative impressions of the Hellwig? You have it set to the mid setting and that isn’t stuff enough? You want it stiffer?
I found the thread named "2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar" started May 29, 2018. Just type it in search bar. It has 3 pages of discussion about adding the bar. I remember everyone there seemed to feel it was worth the money. Some that tow fairly heavy trailers/load in box felt it gave rig better planted feeling. As to your question about me wanting to try stiffest setting, why not? If some is good, maybe more is better? Remember dating???? :rolleyes: lol If it seems like I am getting excessive oversteer on corners, or feels odd at all, I will adjust it back to middle setting. I am sure it is safe to use the most aggressive setting or it wouldn't be an option by engineers if dangerous. I like the flat cornering like a go-cart feeling but I also don't plan on scrubbing tread off my new Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires by trying to play Porsche in the curves. Could swap ends and crash a $62k truck that is definitely not intended to race through corners. I did not notice any negative impressions since adding it as it won't hurt ride on straightaway and helps cornering with less body roll. Now if you go severe off road and want rear axle to be able to articulate with one wheel stuffed in fender to top of suspension and other wheel hanging at bottom of travel like rock crawling, then this bar would probably restrict severe angles of back axle. I don't go beyond playing in snow and too expensive of rig to trash it.

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 14

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found the thread named "2019 RAM 1500 hellwig swaybar" started May 29, 2018. Just type it in search bar. It has 3 pages of discussion about adding the bar. I remember everyone there seemed to feel it was worth the money. Some that tow fairly heavy trailers/load in box felt it gave rig better planted feeling. As to your question about me wanting to try stiffest setting, why not? If some is good, maybe more is better? Remember dating???? :rolleyes: lol If it seems like I am getting excessive oversteer on corners, or feels odd at all, I will adjust it back to middle setting. I am sure it is safe to use the most aggressive setting or it wouldn't be an option by engineers if dangerous. I like the flat cornering like a go-cart feeling but I also don't plan on scrubbing tread off my new Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires by trying to play Porsche in the curves. Could swap ends and crash a $62k truck that is definitely not intended to race through corners. I did not notice any negative impressions since adding it as it won't hurt ride on straightaway and helps cornering with less body roll. Now if you go severe off road and want rear axle to be able to articulate with one wheel stuffed in fender to top of suspension and other wheel hanging at bottom of travel like rock crawling, then this bar would probably restrict severe angles of back axle. I don't go beyond playing in snow and too expensive of rig to trash it.

Thank you for your insight. I live in Florida so no rock crawling for me. Only have 4x4 for job-site visits (I work in construction) and for the occasional slimy boat ramp.

But being in South Florida you learn you have to be an aggressive driver to survive so I like my truck as planted as possible without losing the smooth ride. I’ll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread