5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact Driver? or Lug Wrench

blacksheep37

Reaction score
Does anyone else keep a cheapish corded impact driver in the truck for emergencies? I keep one strapped to my storage panels in the bed of the truck just in case. Also means I'm more likely to stop and help someone if I don't have to break my back to do so.

work smarter, not harder.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep a cordless impact in my truck for emergencies. My old Craftsmen corded impact draw 7.5 amps which is 4.2 amps over the 3.3-amp inverter in my truck. How many amps does your impact draw?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep a 1/2 Milwaukee impact battery operated in the floorbin. Its there if I need it even though I have another impact and other tools for my daily work use in one of the ramboxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my experience, none of the 12vdc corded impacts pack enough punch to break loose lug nuts. So would never waste my money on them. I have a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" drive in my garage, but it usually doesn't go along on trips.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
From my experience, none of the 12vdc corded impacts pack enough punch to break loose lug nuts. So would never waste my money on them. I have a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" drive in my garage, but it usually doesn't go along on trips.
I can tell you this one does. I just recently put a spare on because of a flat. Then replaced all my lights going from silver to black.

jkm312

Reaction score
I've got 2, 1/2 inch breaker bars, long ones, with a short extension and the right size deep wall impact socket for the lug nuts on each car and truck. I carry one 1 in each vehicle all the time. They make short work of a stubborn lug nut, are not battery dependent. Money well spent and much more reliable than the lug wrench in with the jack kits these days.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've got 2, 1/2 inch breaker bars, long ones, with a short extension and the right size deep wall impact socket for the lug nuts on each car and truck. I carry one 1 in each vehicle all the time. They make short work of a stubborn lug nut, are not battery dependent. Money well spent and much more reliable than the lug wrench in with the jack kits these days.
That's fine if you got space but knock battery power tools. Tech had gone a longgggg way. It's easy to keep a battery fully, or nearly fully charged for years on a brand name tool, and even it it does drain a little I could still probably change out all 4 tires like like 20 cars easy with an M18 impact with an XC6.0. I also have torsion bars so I know how tight the lugs are going back on. All that fits under my passenger side seat next to the terrible oem jack

Ratchet

Reaction score
I keep a decent road kit in the toolbox and its mostly cordless for grunt work. Ran power to it and installed inverter on a remote switch. Threw in Milwaukee multi battery charger and a few other assorted necessary chargers. Factored in the switch so I can recharge on my long commute days just to keep things topped off.

Users who are viewing this thread