5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im feeling better about the purchase, Chevy tranny.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to know your overall take between your 17 ltz and new Ram. I love my 17 LTZ but trying to decide between a Rebel or Trailboss.

Looked briefly at a trailboss, I don't hate the look.
I also don't think I would like the 5.3, I think it's going to be too anemic for me coming from the 5.7 in my Gen4 ram.
Asking the 5.3 to turn the bigger offroad tires, with lift on a highway? No thank you.
I personally think that truck needs the 6.2L V8 or specs close to it.

The GMC AT4 with the 6.2 is another story, but it's a more expensive truck than a Ram Rebel similarly equipped.
And it needs to run on premium too I believe.

I'm very happy with the Rebel.
A more comfortable, better looking trailboss, superior engine and interior.
Better value than an AT4, better looking too IMHO, and the interiors are debatable, I give the edge to Ram.
Oh and the Ramboxes are damn nice!

That's right. To me an equipped $57,000 Rebel is a better truck than a $62,000 AT4.
But I think the AT4 is a fine truck and I hope anyone that gets one is happy with it!

Last edited:

Bboyce536

Reaction score
After going through lemon law on my 2016 Silverado, I will never go back to GM. I was a long time GM guy but even my 17 Ram was a better truck then the K2XX platform was. Sure the 6.2 is a stout engine but the transmission left a lot to be desired. I actually had 3 K2 trucks and each one had quite a few issues. So far my 19 ram has been pretty good minus the noisy brakes. Interior isn't even in the same league as GM.

Rambro23

Reaction score
long time chevy guy, I traded in my 17 ltz for new ram, the 5.3 shifted so hard at low speeds I couldn't stand it after 10k miles, they said it would adjust but it never did. Well my brother brought home a new trail boss a few weeks ago which is what I was considering and guess who is complaining about his transmission shifts already? I thought I read the new 8 speed trannys were all the same but maybe not, or maybe its the combo of the 5.3 vs the hemi, either way knowing this im glad I got the ram, that 5.3 engine is a dog period and the ram has shifted perfectly so far

Also traded in my GM truck (2017 GMC SLT Sierra) with only 12k miles because of that crappy 8-speed transmission for a 19 Ram and haven’t looked back. Had a 2010 Ram Laramie and it was awesome. GM won’t get another dime from me.

NightRebel

Reaction score
Curious to know your overall take between your 17 ltz and new Ram. I love my 17 LTZ but trying to decide between a Rebel or Trailboss.

Same scenario as OP. Traded my ‘17 LTZ for my ‘19 Rebel and hands down no question no regrets instantly loving it. Haven’t missed the Chevy a single bit. I’d struggle to point out anything I’d miss. Even the same tranny story as OP. Talked to Chevy dealer about it shortly after I bought it. They just said they hear it a lot and nothing can be done.

At the same time I bought the LTZ I bought a new ‘17 Suburban Z71 and guess what? The dang tranny banged shifts in that one too.

My opinion of course, but I’d encourage you to think hard about going Chevy again.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
my brother bought a trail boss and its already been in shop with issues, of course i have had a few with my ram as well, i would never buy another chevy or gmc that didnt have the 6 liter

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded in my 15 GMC Fully loaded Z71 SLT. Truck was a total POS, Suffered from the infamous "Chevy Shake". Road like garbage at all speeds. AC condenser failed, Transmission would get lost and slam into the wrong gear, the final straw was when the paint started peeling off the rear drivers side door. Traded it on on my first Ram, which is only the second truck I have owned that wasn't either a Chevy or GMC. I'll never go back to GM, the K2XX platform was a disaster and probably why it's already been replaced after 5 years with the T1XX. I'm right at 10k miles on the Ram and so far it has been a fantastic Truck. The only thing I miss from the GMC is the steps in the rear bumper, everything else is hands down better on the Ram. Hopefully in the next few years some of the options on the limited/longhorn will trickle down to the Laramie like the adaptive LED headlights. I wanted this feature but didn't want the air ride that's standard on the limited and I don't like the country western motif interior on the longhorn. As long as this truck holds up and is reliable I'll be looking at another Ram in the next couple years.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I traded in my 15 GMC Fully loaded Z71 SLT. Truck was a total POS, Suffered from the infamous "Chevy Shake". Road like garbage at all speeds. AC condenser failed, Transmission would get lost and slam into the wrong gear, the final straw was when the paint started peeling off the rear drivers side door. Traded it on on my first Ram, which is only the second truck I have owned that wasn't either a Chevy or GMC. I'll never go back to GM, the K2XX platform was a disaster and probably why it's already been replaced after 5 years with the T1XX. I'm right at 10k miles on the Ram and so far it has been a fantastic Truck. The only thing I miss from the GMC is the steps in the rear bumper, everything else is hands down better on the Ram. Hopefully in the next few years some of the options on the limited/longhorn will trickle down to the Laramie like the adaptive LED headlights. I wanted this feature but didn't want the air ride that's standard on the limited and I don't like the country western motif interior on the longhorn. As long as this truck holds up and is reliable I'll be looking at another Ram in the next couple years.

ive actually been a little disappointed with my ram, already some small chips but i def miss the steps in the bumper, i hate crawling into the back of the ram, overall i love the huge screen and moonroof of the ram and its a good truck overall but i would still consider another chevy or gmc, just def not the 5.3

Rambro23

Reaction score
Haha, the limited interior made me walk away too. Couldn’t get down with the paisley designs. When will truck manufacturers learn that sometimes less is more? Give us more black out options for a sleek, stealthy appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread