5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im feeling better about the purchase, Chevy tranny.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
long time chevy guy, I traded in my 17 ltz for new ram, the 5.3 shifted so hard at low speeds I couldn't stand it after 10k miles, they said it would adjust but it never did. Well my brother brought home a new trail boss a few weeks ago which is what I was considering and guess who is complaining about his transmission shifts already? I thought I read the new 8 speed trannys were all the same but maybe not, or maybe its the combo of the 5.3 vs the hemi, either way knowing this im glad I got the ram, that 5.3 engine is a dog period and the ram has shifted perfectly so far

Dreng

Reaction score
Curious to know your overall take between your 17 ltz and new Ram. I love my 17 LTZ but trying to decide between a Rebel or Trailboss.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
did you ever have any shifting problems with your ltz? the one thing I will say about chevy is the resale is great, I loved everything about my chevy but the transmission, and now that I have driven the hemi its better than the 5.3, the only thing I would do if I were you in getting a chevy is spend the money for the 6.2, well worth it to me

Dreng

Reaction score
did you ever have any shifting problems with your ltz? the one thing I will say about chevy is the resale is great, I loved everything about my chevy but the transmission, and now that I have driven the hemi its better than the 5.3, the only thing I would do if I were you in getting a chevy is spend the money for the 6.2, well worth it to me

No transmission issues st all with my Chevy but iv heard people complain. The 6.2 isnt offered in the trailboss and o drove the at4 with 6.2 and it shifted hard when you really hit the gas.

Mind if I ask what your got for trade in value on your truck? I'm being offered between 29 and 33k and I have everything but sunroof and the 6.2 with 43k miles

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I got 39.5 for mine with around 15k miles, is gmc still being emotionally attached to their new stuff, they didn't want to deal at all, hate that bc that truck is like a Cadillac compared to the rest of these, have you ever owned a dodge? this is my first

Roddog2220

Reaction score
dreng here is my take, like I said my brothers brand new trail boss is already shifting hard, if there was even a 20 percent chance of this I wouldn't do it, the shifts were that bad, but even if not, when I compared the features of the trail boss vs what I got im still glad I went with dodge, the 14 inch touch screen and moonroof is badass, has heated and cooled seats, and folding mirrors, he doesn't even have that and he spent more than I did

the other thing about the dodge though is you will have to get used to the turning radius which is much longer than the chevy, it has taken some time to get used to that

Roddog2220

Reaction score
GM has their own transmission (8 spd 8L90 M5U Hydramatic)...
RAM uses the ZF 8HP, an eight-speed automatic transmission designed and built by ZF Friedrichshafen.

good info, thank you, I couldn't remember who teamed up with who with ford, do you know?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For Ford It seems to be a 10R80 ...ten speed automatic transmission developed jointly between Ford Motor Company and General Motors

Hackmunch

Reaction score
chevy lol. the sticking lifters (eco mode design disaster) and that bs transmission. so glad i traded my 2016 silverado in for this ram.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
For all the people who switched over from GM, what's your take on the interior differences?

Dreng

Reaction score
For all the people who switched over from GM, what's your take on the interior differences?
Are we talking 19 to 19 model. I really enjoy my 17s interior and prefer it over either if the new trucks. For the 19 silverado its lacking center console storage space and with the small radio and small toggle switches the dash in the radio area just looks empty and cheap to me. The trailboss and lower models are worse because you have switches that are blank and dont control anything that remi ds me of what I dont have or couldn't get (in case of trailboss). The lack of options on the more desirable model which forces you to go with the pricier AT4.

For the 19 rams I do not like the look of the smaller radio and much prefer the 12 inch screen. I also hate the gear shift knob with a passion. I understand people get use to it but I'm shouldn't have to get use to something on a $60k truck. I like all the storage sp and ce and I like how the dash comes with more digital functions without buying a special package that isnt offered on the trailboss.

Comfort of the seats seem about the same to me. Overall layout of both seem great. These are just my opinions looking at both of them and trying to decide which way to go.

harleyrae

Reaction score
I will tell you this - hubby purchased new an 07 silverado 6.0. He has babied that thing and has less than 130,000 miles. he just had a transmission job done. he is not happy knowing he never dogged this truck. says he was on the fence since he had owned silveradoes since the 90's but he will not buy another one.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I already surprisingly have a few very small paint chips in my ram, hope its not a sign of things to come bc I don't rem every having any in a chevy, besides the chevy tranny it was solid, ive already had a few small issues with the ram but not surprising with the new models of anything, all I can say is my interior with huge screen and moonroof blows away my brothers trail boss but if it wasn't for those 2 features I would still be a gm customer but with the 6 liter and 10 speed tranny

XDBrad

Reaction score
Traded my 15 SLT Z71 at 80k miles, agree on retaining resale value as I got $30,500 trade in for it. The transmission shift was horrible and I was bit by the stuck lifter issue and took out the top end of the engine. Regrets? ABSOLUTELY not! Styling, ride, power, value, the whole package is leaps and bounds better to me.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Traded in my 16 Silverado LT for my Ram. IMO, there is no comparison in style, interior or power and tranny.

steveved

Reaction score
I traded a 14 Silverado LTZ for my 19 Ram 1500 Laramie. The interior on my Ram is an order of magnitude better than the Chevy was. In addition to me hating the transmission in my Chevy, it had a rear end vibration that the dealer could never get rid of.

I would not even consider the 19 Silverado. Hate the front end. I did look at a 19 GMC Sierra SLT with the 6.2 and the max towing package, but like another poster stated here: GMC was really not interested in dealing. Sticker on the Sierra was $64k and the best the dealer would do was $60k with my supplier discount. Paid $48k for my Laramie. No way that GMC is $12k better than this Ram.

Honestly, the only thing I miss about the Chevy is the bumper steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online