5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IHC 3/5 Lowering Kit on 2020 RAM 1500 4x4

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Lowering kit and bump stops that were recommended just showed up tonight. Calling shop to get everything scheduled tomorrow after work around 16:30.

For those who have lowered, is there any issues with exhaust hitting the axle that I should be aware of? Going to look at cat-back kits tonight.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lowering kit and bump stops that were recommended just showed up tonight. Calling shop to get everything scheduled tomorrow after work around 16:30.

For those who have lowered, is there any issues with exhaust hitting the axle that I should be aware of? Going to look at cat-back kits tonight.

Yes. You will most likely have to keep the stock exhaust. I don’t think anything aftermarket will fit after lowering.

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Okay, stock pipes and tips will stay, I found a thread on here where the guys running 2/4 kits and whatnot all just cut the factory mufflers off in place of a Borla ProXS 40353. I'll just have an exhaust shop cut and weld those on, remove the resonators with a short straight shot of pipe, then not worry about it beyond there.

Correction:
I will just be hacking the muffler off and having the shop weld straight pipe in it's place instead, keeping the resonators.
I was informed of this shop selling a complete delete kit, no booger welds required!
Ordered, will be here next week. One cut at 1 1/4" from the muffler, and then slip in place. Done.

-edit-

Next Wednesday we'll be dropping it off, pickup should be Friday. Also going to have them doing window tint down to a totally legal amount (totally)

Last edited:

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Tastefully lowered, looks nice!
I'll have to get some seat time to really evaluate the rear shocks from IHC, but I don't initially have any complaints with a motorcycle in the bed, and all the parts like the step side, bush guards, etc in the bed with it.

Ride height is fairly even, with the front end being a smidgy-widgy higher than the rear. I think that's more of a trait of the 4x4 than anything else, most all of the photos I've seen always look close like this.

15% tinted all the way around with ceramic, air lift 1000HD bags inside the coils on the rear.

Next up: audio! Just waiting on NetAudio to get the box built and ship everything.

Attachments

• 20240412_163723.jpg
    20240412_163723.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240412_163740.jpg
    20240412_163740.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 22

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Okay, shop didn't quite cut the stops enough on the knuckle, turn radius suffered a bit. Gonna pick up an aluminum grinder wheel tomorrow on the way home and take care of that carefully in the driveway. Looks easy to get at with the wheel cut to either direction.

gearhead321

Reaction score
Okay, shop didn't quite cut the stops enough on the knuckle, turn radius suffered a bit. Gonna pick up an aluminum grinder wheel tomorrow on the way home and take care of that carefully in the driveway. Looks easy to get at with the wheel cut to either direction.
I ground the stops completely smooth and still had reduced turning radius with the IHC kit.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
You still loose a fairly decent amount of steering angle with the IHC kit, I installed one of these and it helped.

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
You still loose a fairly decent amount of steering angle with the IHC kit, I installed one of these and it helped.

Hmm, that looks like just a different tie rod end. I know there's going to be some loss of steering when adding 6.5° of caster to the front end with the new upper and lower arms, but the left side hits the arm currently with a little "clack" when coming out of my steep *** driveway every day now, hence the grind down coming this afternoon.

How much benefit did that bump steer corrective tie rod end give you?

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Also went through and checked things much closer in solid daylight, I definitely need that adjustable track bar. Rear axle is shifted to the passenger side a few inches. Ordered a single point adjustable "town" bar from core 4x4 with the poly bushings. Time to tape some weighted string to the fenders on jack stands and do some adjusting when it gets here
😶‍🌫️

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Hmm, that looks like just a different tie rod end. I know there's going to be some loss of steering when adding 6.5° of caster to the front end with the new upper and lower arms, but the left side hits the arm currently with a little "clack" when coming out of my steep *** driveway every day now, hence the grind down coming this afternoon.

How much benefit did that bump steer corrective tie rod end give you?
If you look at it now your tie rods are at a pretty step angle inward (towards the rack body) the kits has a spacer that drops the ends to be more level and puts you back closer to stock geometry. I picked up another full rotation of the steering wheel, it doesn't have the factory turning radius but it was closer to driving a bus before I added the kit. It does sound like maybe they didn't grind enough from that side or the rack isn't centered. Also look at the springs, when I first did mine the sway bar kept hitting the springs. Core makes some good stuff, I haven't heard any bad things really about them, I built mine with some left over chromo tube I had.

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Are you talking about the rear sway bar hitting? I've not had any new fun noises yet for the most part while driving.

Also, would that bump steer tie rod end not hit the lower control arm?

Last edited:

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FoodMan,

What is your measurement from the ground to the front and rear fenders? Just curious what height you’re sitting at.

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
FoodMan,

What is your measurement from the ground to the front and rear fenders? Just curious what height you’re sitting at.
I'll pull the measurements tonight if I can find my tape measure when I'm home. Called the twisted metal guys, those bump steer tie rod ends should fit the 4wd front end. Next pay check I'll probably go ahead and order those.

Here's another video of a guy with a 2021 4WD, sits exactly the same as mine.

Last edited:

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
FoodMan,

Alright, here we go as it sits in my uphill driveway that's kinda tilted:
Driver Front: 35" Passenger Front: 34 3/4"
Driver Rear: 34 3/4" Passenger Rear: 35"

Pretty much exactly 35" all around, corner to corner.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Strange, my 2/4 drop sits at 33 1/2” all the way around. Well, the front sits at 33 1/2” and I just adjust the air on the rear so the truck sits level. Maybe yours sits higher due to being 4WD.

Last edited:

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Strange, my 2/4 drop sits at 33 1/2” all the way around. Well, the front sits at 33 1/2” and I just adjust the air on the rear so the truck sits level. Maybe yours sits higher due to being 4WD.
Yeah, the 4WD trucks sit significantly higher at factory height than the 2WD because of the front differential and CV axles, then the transfer case and drivetrain angle doesn't help either.

As for the tie rod end angle that TittoPollito asked about, they're actually not that severe at all underneath. They're obviously not flat, and the twisted metal tie rod ends would help, but I might just send it for now after that track bar gets here this weekend.

Like I said, weird spec truck for someone to lower, lol. Bighorn 4x4 quad cab on the 6'4" bed.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Are you talking about the rear sway bar hitting? I've not had any new fun noises yet for the most part while driving.

Also, would that bump steer tie rod end not hit the lower control arm?
Sorry I typically during the week only have a small window in the morning hours to relax and play on here.

No the front sway bar and end links rubbed on the coil springs and make kind of a popping noise as it hits each coil. You can especially hear it at low speeds like entering/exiting a driveway that is steep or has a pronounced transition to the roadway

TheFoodMan52

Reaction score
Oh, there's a crazy amount of space ve
Sorry I typically during the week only have a small window in the morning hours to relax and play on here.

No the front sway bar and end links rubbed on the coil springs and make kind of a popping noise as it hits each coil. You can especially hear it at low speeds like entering/exiting a driveway that is steep or has a pronounced transition to the roadway
Oh, I gotcha. I'll get up under it again tonight with ramps and jack stands to go look around at everything again, but from what I recall there was a crazy amount of space for the end link and sway bar between all the other components on the front end for the 4WD version here.

I also think mine has a one piece driveshaft from the factory instead of the two piece, but I'll confirm everything.

I do hear some metal rattling noise when going over really rough **** in downtown Tallahassee with the roads that are falling apart, it may be the sway bar links you're talking about. Did you do anything on your truck to solve the problem you're talking about?

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Oh, there's a crazy amount of space ve

Oh, I gotcha. I'll get up under it again tonight with ramps and jack stands to go look around at everything again, but from what I recall there was a crazy amount of space for the end link and sway bar between all the other components on the front end for the 4WD version here.

I also think mine has a one piece driveshaft from the factory instead of the two piece, but I'll confirm everything.

I do hear some metal rattling noise when going over really rough **** in downtown Tallahassee with the roads that are falling apart, it may be the sway bar links you're talking about. Did you do anything on your truck to solve the problem you're talking about?
jajajaja man I feel you on the bad roads, I live in Sh!tvannah Ga for now. Running through SC on 95 is a poor choice for any vehicle.

One of the things to check is the hole the sway bar end links go through on the IHC lower control arm (I heard they fixed it) the ID of the whole is to big for the sway bar link (also check if they cut the thread shorter on the link so you can properly tighten it down) I had to make a hat bushing to take up the difference.

To stop the sway bar from hitting the springs I took the sway bar to a heavy equipment repair shop that does truck springs and had them slightly spread the sway bar open. It clears the springs by 0.1500" - 0.2000" so that is good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread