5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
you are a chuckle a minute to believe a RAM 1500 weightranges from 4,778 pounds to 6,396 pounds unloaded, will ever get good mileage.

I said the best possible for the truck. I get 17-18 in the city and 21-22 on the highway at 75mph. I'm happy with that as my 3.92 ram got 12.5-13.5 in the city and 16 on the highway

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yes
but the person who started that thread said they have a non etorque

this thread is about the etorque

BowDown

Reaction score
but the person who started that thread said they have a non etorque

this thread is about the etorque

The driveshaft issue affects both etorque and none etorque trucks.
It was posted because Nsleone asked for the link and experiencing the same problem

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll just say it without being a jerk any more. eTorque is connected to the crankshaft via a belt, not the drive shaft. That Ram employee did a good job explaining the system, but he is still hyping it with exaggeration. Fact is, the only place that etorque makes a noticeable difference is when stopped at a traffic light.

If I had eTorque I would just leave it on because it does not use the starter to re-start the engine and saving gas at a traffic light is a good thing. My wife's car does use the starter, so we turn it off because I don't like the extra wear and tear. I did not know that it regenerates power in-between high rpm shifts. That has to have an effect on acceleration. The Ram employee exaggerates that feature by explaining that it eliminates slap shifts, where you bounce your head off the seat. I got a chuckle out of that one.
I totally agree that the only place etorque is noticeable is at a stop light. The rest of the functionality of the etorque system is not noticeable to me. I compare etorque versus non-etorque all the time. The wife's Limited doesn't have it and mine does. Nearly identically equipped Limiteds. The only noticeable difference between them is the stop/start at stop lights. With mine disabled there is no difference in driving experience.

As a side note, turning off stop/start with the button only turns off stop/start. All other etorque functionality is supposedly maintained. Although, as I mentioned already, that functionality isn't noticeable to me.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Not since my test drives almost a year and a half ago so I wouldn’t remember what the difference was, all I know is that it’s supposed to improve. I think the smooth downshifting should be credited more to the ZF than anything, I really like that transmission.
Yeah these transmissions are awesome. I like it as much as the PDK transmission in my wife's Porsche.

steveved

Reaction score
I have it and could live without it. Honestly, when I bought my 2019, I actually wanted the eTorque engine because I bought into the hype that it would save me 2mpg. Bull$hit. My 2019 gets worse fuel mileage than my best friend's 2016 Hemi Ram. So, in my mind, it was a waste of money.

I don't know what Ram claims now, but when the 2019 first came out, they claimed the eTorque would improve fuel economy and make it quicker to respond off the line. My fuel mileage says otherwise.

Honestly, I have 47k miles on my truck now and it has been problem free. I just feel like the little over $2k extra I spent for the eTorque, would have been better spent on accessories.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it and could live without it. Honestly, when I bought my 2019, I actually wanted the eTorque engine because I bought into the hype that it would save me 2mpg. Bull$hit. My 2019 gets worse fuel mileage than my best friend's 2016 Hemi Ram. So, in my mind, it was a waste of money.

I don't know what Ram claims now, but when the 2019 first came out, they claimed the eTorque would improve fuel economy and make it quicker to respond off the line. My fuel mileage says otherwise.

Honestly, I have 47k miles on my truck now and it has been problem free. I just feel like the little over $2k extra I spent for the eTorque, would have been better spent on accessories.
If they were still charging for the upgrade, I wouldn't get it either. Honestly, I don't know how they got away with it in the first place. And actually, I'm not 100% sure that it's a "free" upgrade for every trim level even now, maybe someone else can confirm.

But for $0 dollars extra, I don't see a significant downside.

KonaLaury

Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 Rebel without it but when it arrived after 4 1/2 months it had e-torque. The dealer's attitude was take it or leave it (we can order you another truck but understand that lead times are stretching out) so I took it. To be honest I have no complaints (so far :) ). The Autostop does not bother me at all. It is really transparent (you don't even know it is there) except on the hottest of days when the air coming out of the A/C at stop turns cool rather than cold.

I am not convinced that it really saves me much on gas but I have nothing really to base that on other than talking to friends with Rams without it and our mileage is not significantly different.

I have never experienced anything unusual when braking.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang. I can feel mine stop and start, and also when I’m stopping you can feel the truck stopping little harder on it own. Wife thought I was hitting the brakes harder for no reason.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it. Haven't driven a new ram without it so can't compare but I generally like it overall. The start/stop is stupid. It always seems to turn back on at the most inopportune times. So I keep it off most of the time but if I have my AC turned off and my sunroof open I will enable it if I'm very familiar with where I'm stopped. Having a modified exhaust makes me feel like a ****** when it randomly cranks up in a drive thru or something.

I do appreciate how smooth it transitions from start/stop. I can barely feel it. It's 100x better than that system on my wife's Pacifica which I permanently disabled. I like the regen braking, and it's cool listening to it Rev match for shifts.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Think I've seen that statement before, how did you do that?
By having a salesman ride along, asking him “okay…are you ready?” once the truck did an auto-stop at a stop sign, and then punching it. We were both surprised/impressed.

Note: this was the first eTorque-equipped truck to arrive on any dealer lot that we’re aware of. It was before my own was built (mid-2018). The full review with pics is an article here on 5thgenrams.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online