5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

Hemidakota

Reaction score
There are published dyno charts, IIRC. But they may have been “theoretical”…

Keep in mind that the only bump is at the extreme low end of the RPM range, where the HEMI is making very little power. Hence peak torque and horsepower are unchanged.
Right but I would like to see if it's actually there since they are claiming this. I think all etorque is, is a stop/start system to save gas, increase mpg and appease the government. We 1500 owners are getting the shaft so the TRX can thrive. These trucks are really seeing some good gains with a Diablo tune and unlocked PCM. It's the route I'm going to go but I only have 6k miles on my truck and don't feel like voiding the warranty just yet.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Call me old school, a luddite, or whatever, but when the engine shuts off at a stop, I'm flashed back to my first car which when that happened, I would sometimes have to get out and push. I also tend to take care of and hang onto my cars for quite awhile - it's nice having periods of time with no car payments. To that end, I recently traded my [paid off] 2012 Lonestar in on my 2021 Limited Longhorn, thinking ahead to the future and not having a car payment and 15-yr-old truck when I hit retirement age in 6 years. We all have our reasons for buying these things, and they're all valid.

I picked mine because I got a great deal on a nice truck. It was 'Certified Pre-Owned' with 4800-ish on the odo (that's apparently worth around $11K off the original sticker price, BTW). E-Torque came with it as a consequence, but the previous owner had defeated the auto stop/start to my delight... or, so I thought. It seems to 'forget' that mod when the outside temp is below 60, so I now have to hit the 'A-Off' button in the morning when I head to work. Such a small thing, mildly annoying, but it is what it is... just gotta get used to it. Knowing this now, I would not willfully order a vehicle with this technology, if I were to buy one new and the option available.

I've never understood the false sense of security that we're somehow doing more to save the environment by using technology like this - it's more of a 'pay me now, or pay me later' kind of a deal. Sure, shutting off the engine at long stops might save a buck or two per tank of fuel over time (dependent on fuel prices), but it's a known fact that most engine wear happens at start-up, so there's a very real danger that this technology could wear out the engine even quicker over time. The electric assist being more environmentally friendly is also a false notion because while it might give peace of mind for saving a few gallons of gas in the long run, what happens to those discarded electronic components when they fail (batteries, et al)? They wind up becoming toxic waste that must be dealt with at some point in the future... not to mention, expensive to replace for the vehicle to keep operating... much more so than the few dollars saved per tank. "Pay me now, or pay me later," both in money and environmental impact. Politics aside, it's just the latest means to get more money out of people with negligible return on any actual benefit.

For those that have embraced it, enjoy it, hate it, or whatever - keep on keepin' on. We're ALL still entitled to our opinions, after all.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I am almost at 10K miles and the eTorque has been no problem at all for me. But if it did not have it, I wouldn't miss it either. So I can take it or leave it.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay, I'll just say it without being a jerk any more. eTorque is connected to the crankshaft via a belt, not the drive shaft. That Ram employee did a good job explaining the system, but he is still hyping it with exaggeration. Fact is, the only place that etorque makes a noticeable difference is when stopped at a traffic light.

If I had eTorque I would just leave it on because it does not use the starter to re-start the engine and saving gas at a traffic light is a good thing. My wife's car does use the starter, so we turn it off because I don't like the extra wear and tear. I did not know that it regenerates power in-between high rpm shifts. That has to have an effect on acceleration. The Ram employee exaggerates that feature by explaining that it eliminates slap shifts, where you bounce your head off the seat. I got a chuckle out of that one.

No, etorque makes a difference when towing and when moving from a stop light, I've towed a uhaul trailer with about 3300lbs of landscape stone and could feel it initially when leaving from a standing start. The non-etorque Laramie rental I had when the wifes car was in the shop didn't feel the same.
Is it a holy s this is a rocket ship? No. But you can feel an extra push as the truck gets moving. One of the engineers explained it very well, he said it was like the difference between you pulling a wagon load of rocks from a standing start with no help vs s 2nd person giving the wagon a small push when you were pulling to help get you started. Thats about the extent of etorque from an acceleration perspective. That said, despite the people having issues and the negative comments, I'm happy with it and would buy it again

BowDown

Reaction score
Adding that to my list of preventative maintenance, removing that thud on stop would make me a lot happier thanks!

It really makes auto start/stop in perceptible, like it should be or like the truck was when new and the driveshaft hadn't worn the grease away.
Make sure to grease the entire length of it because the suspension movement causes that section to extend and retract, the outer part of the drive shaft will travel the length of the inner and any bare spots will lead to this happening again

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
let me run this past some of you.
when an engine is started the starter spins a large ring gear on the flex plate, which if the crank shaft has on issue the flex plate is designed to fail.

now take the etorque, which according to Ram has a extra thick belt that torques on the front of the crank shaft.

where will the failure be? if there is a issue with the crank shaft or its moving parts.

granted this might lead to a major engine failure but with such a motor as the etorque I would believe the failure will be greater.

just a thought. maybe I am over thinking it.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Call me old school, a luddite, or whatever, but when the engine shuts off at a stop, I'm flashed back to my first car which when that happened, I would sometimes have to get out and push. I also tend to take care of and hang onto my cars for quite awhile - it's nice having periods of time with no car payments. To that end, I recently traded my [paid off] 2012 Lonestar in on my 2021 Limited Longhorn, thinking ahead to the future and not having a car payment and 15-yr-old truck when I hit retirement age in 6 years. We all have our reasons for buying these things, and they're all valid.

I picked mine because I got a great deal on a nice truck. It was 'Certified Pre-Owned' with 4800-ish on the odo (that's apparently worth around $11K off the original sticker price, BTW). E-Torque came with it as a consequence, but the previous owner had defeated the auto stop/start to my delight... or, so I thought. It seems to 'forget' that mod when the outside temp is below 60, so I now have to hit the 'A-Off' button in the morning when I head to work. Such a small thing, mildly annoying, but it is what it is... just gotta get used to it. Knowing this now, I would not willfully order a vehicle with this technology, if I were to buy one new and the option available.

I've never understood the false sense of security that we're somehow doing more to save the environment by using technology like this - it's more of a 'pay me now, or pay me later' kind of a deal. Sure, shutting off the engine at long stops might save a buck or two per tank of fuel over time (dependent on fuel prices), but it's a known fact that most engine wear happens at start-up, so there's a very real danger that this technology could wear out the engine even quicker over time. The electric assist being more environmentally friendly is also a false notion because while it might give peace of mind for saving a few gallons of gas in the long run, what happens to those discarded electronic components when they fail (batteries, et al)? They wind up becoming toxic waste that must be dealt with at some point in the future... not to mention, expensive to replace for the vehicle to keep operating... much more so than the few dollars saved per tank. "Pay me now, or pay me later," both in money and environmental impact. Politics aside, it's just the latest means to get more money out of people with negligible return on any actual benefit.

For those that have embraced it, enjoy it, hate it, or whatever - keep on keepin' on. We're ALL still entitled to our opinions, after all.

Most engine wear occurs at cold start, not any and every start up so that wear statement is incorrect. As to the environment. I don't believe in global warming and I don't care about the environment. I'm not pouring used engine oil down the storm drain but my concern about the environment only extends to my wallets environment, I don't want to spend money for idling fuel and want the best fuel economy I can get from this truck not for the environments sake but for my wallets sake.

My other car is a Z06 with an ERL built forged 434ci stroker motor that makes 720+ flywheel NA with no cats.; the environment isn't a large concern

BowDown

Reaction score
let me run this past some of you.
when an engine is started the starter spins a large ring gear on the flex plate, which if the crank shaft has on issue the flex plate is designed to fail.

now take the etorque, which according to Ram has a extra thick belt that torques on the front of the crank shaft.

where will the failure be? if there is a issue with the crank shaft or its moving parts.

granted this might lead to a major engine failure but with such a motor as the etorque I would believe the failure will be greater.

just a thought. maybe I am over thinking it.

What?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Most engine wear occurs at cold start, not any and every start up so that wear statement is incorrect. As to the environment. I don't believe in global warming and I don't care about the environment. I'm not pouring used engine oil down the storm drain but my concern about the environment only extends to my wallets environment, I don't want to spend money for idling fuel and want the best fuel economy I can get from this truck not for the environments sake but for my wallets sake.

My other car is a Z06 with an ERL built forged 434ci stroker motor that makes 720+ flywheel NA with no cats.; the environment isn't a large concern
so for one vehicle (truck) you care about millage

but for the Z06 you do not.

strange.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
lets say you shut your engine off last night and something went wrong. the next time you start it the ring gear and started will fail.
minimizing the damage.

now lets say you stop at a anyplace where the start/stop activates and something went wrong when you push on the peddle the etorque will still try to spin the engine causing greater damage then the regular starter ever could.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really makes auto start/stop in perceptible, like it should be or like the truck was when new and the driveshaft had worn the grease away.
Make sure to grease the entire length of it because the suspension movement causes that section to extend and retract, the outer part of the drive shaft will travel the length of the inner and any bare spots will lead to this happening again
Is there a thread on this somewhere in the forums? :0

BowDown

Reaction score
so for one vehicle (truck) you care about millage

but for the Z06 you do not.

strange.
Because racecar

Not strange at all. I want every once of power I can get from the car and will push it to the edge of it life to get it. The truck is my luxury no worries vehicle that I don't want to even have to think about. I want it to get the best fuel economy it can within reason. For those same reasons, I wouldn't by a street version of the TRX if it were made, I don't need two of them. I have friends with 1300 whp cars that drive a 27 mpg Acura daily and want it to get every mpg its supposed to, not strange at all

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It really makes auto start/stop in perceptible, like it should be or like the truck was when new and the driveshaft had worn the grease away.
what

BowDown

Reaction score
lets say you shut your engine off last night and something went wrong. the next time you start it the ring gear and started will fail.
minimizing the damage.

now lets say you stop at a anyplace where the start/stop activates and something went wrong when you push on the peddle the etorque will still try to spin the engine causing greater damage then the regular starter ever could.

You're already F'd at that point so what difference would it make?
If you're in a situation where something internally has failed or was about to (crank/rods/hydro lock situation) the etorque BSG trying to start the engine isn't going to increase the damage, the parts are already trash

BowDown

Reaction score
Is there a thread on this somewhere in the forums? :0

Yes

BowDown

Reaction score

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Because racecar

Not strange at all. I want every once of power I can get from the car and will push it to the edge of it life to get it. The truck is my luxury no worries vehicle that I don't want to even have to think about. I want it to get the best fuel economy it can within reason. For those same reasons, I wouldn't by a street version of the TRX if it were made, I don't need two of them. I have friends with 1300 whp cars that drive a 27 mpg Acura daily and want it to get every mpg its supposed to, not strange at all
you are a chuckle a minute to believe a RAM 1500 weightranges from 4,778 pounds to 6,396 pounds unloaded, will ever get good mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/