5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

if you have a hemi etorque

chris288

Reaction score
watch the video about the relationship between e-torque and the drive shaft...

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting, so does that mean the rough stop is from slack in the driveshaft?

No, because of minimally greased splines on the rear section of the driveshaft. I've taken mine apart and put a lot of Schaeffer 229 Ultra Red Supreme grease one the entire length of the splines and that problem is gone. The factory doesn't apply enough grease to the splines and the rear section will bind up some times. That bump you fill is it and the trans releasing that tension when the engine shuts off. The none e torque trucks don't feel it as often as they don't shut off at traffic lights but they too regularly feel the bump when it releases.

Set the E Brake and chock the tires then cut the two straps holding the black dust sleeve on the drive shaft, or just cut the rear clap off.

View attachment 102176

Unbolt the rear driveshaft flange from the diff pinion flange, 15MM socket then slide it out of the front section of the drive shaft. You do not need to remove the entire driveshaft, just the rear section of the rear 2 piece shaft.

driveshaft-1-jpg.84953

Grease then reassemble.
I don't know what this grease is, found a pic on another forum, I used a black moly high pressure grease I posted earlier.

You will need CV joint pliers and clamps but some used worm clamps. I used this:

lil-30800_xl.jpg

and these clamps

The above are not my pics, forgot to take pics nor did I remove the entire drive shaft, I only removed the rear section and greased the splines with red grease (where you see the white grease) problem hasn't returned

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Then it should be noticeable on an engine Dyno.
Engine dynos don't typically measure below 2k rpm and none are accurate that low. That's why you see pulls start at 2500-3000 rpm. I have a few 2500 pulls but the dyno still gets jumpy, 3000 rpm and up its fine

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Engine dynos don't typically measure below 2k rpm and none are accurate that low. That's why you see pulls start at 2500-3000 rpm. I have a few 2500 pulls but the dyno still gets jumpy, 3000 rpm and up its fine
I think that you are thinking about a chassis dyno. I'm talking about an engine only dyno

BowDown

Reaction score
there are several youtube videos on e-torque from the guy who helped develop it,,,, it only works on the 1st 1/2 revolution of the tire from a start with up to an additional 140 ft. lbs of torque on the 5.7, as well as helping smooth out the shifts by grabbing the drive shaft allowing not to free-wheel thus taking the slack out of shifting.

ive owned 2 non-etorque 5.7 1500's, before ordering my 2022 I test drove two e-torque trucks, they were indeed extremely smooth on the stop start, best ive ever witnessed, shifts are noticeably smoother as well no doubt.. my concerns were that there are a lot of cases of very low speed stalling and re-starting problems. i purposely ordered my truck with non-etorque and skipped ordering a limited because it was required.

I get that and you need to do whats best for you.
Me, I've read enough BS on forums to know that you shouldn't make decisions like this based solely on forum feedback. 10 people will make it should like 3 million trucks have design defects/safety hazards and the entire line needs to be recalled along with a class action suit filled against. Read the etorque thread or vibration tire thread.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
there are several youtube videos on e-torque from the guy who helped develop it,,,, it only works on the 1st 1/2 revolution of the tire from a start with up to an additional 140 ft. lbs of torque on the 5.7, as well as helping smooth out the shifts by grabbing the drive shaft allowing not to free-wheel thus taking the slack out of shifting.

ive owned 2 non-etorque 5.7 1500's, before ordering my 2022 I test drove two e-torque trucks, they were indeed extremely smooth on the stop start, best ive ever witnessed, shifts are noticeably smoother as well no doubt.. my concerns were that there are a lot of cases of very low speed stalling and re-starting problems. i purposely ordered my truck with non-etorque and skipped ordering a limited because it was required.
Unless there has been a change with the 22's that I'm not aware of but I ordered my 21 Limited in April without etorque. If you can't order a 22 Limited without it now then that would suck because the Limited is a really nice truck.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Yeah, an engine dyno would likely show it but I haven't seen any 5.7 engine dynos, only chassis
And I haven't either. Most 5.7 engine dyno's that I have seen have been testing different heads and intakes.

chris288

Reaction score
i stand corrected, when i tried to configure a limited the e-torque was standard, just tried to configure a 22 limited, 5.7 non etorque is available...

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean to each their own but I want to see an etorque on an engine Dyno to prove the 100-130 increase in torque. I think it's a gimmick advertising ploy.
There are published dyno charts, IIRC. But they may have been “theoretical”…

Keep in mind that the only bump is at the extreme low end of the RPM range, where the HEMI is making very little power. Hence peak torque and horsepower are unchanged.

x50

Reaction score
I didn't want auto stop/start so I got the 5.7 without the e-torque.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
watch the video about the relationship between e-torque and the drive shaft...
Okay, I'll just say it without being a jerk any more. eTorque is connected to the crankshaft via a belt, not the drive shaft. That Ram employee did a good job explaining the system, but he is still hyping it with exaggeration. Fact is, the only place that etorque makes a noticeable difference is when stopped at a traffic light.

If I had eTorque I would just leave it on because it does not use the starter to re-start the engine and saving gas at a traffic light is a good thing. My wife's car does use the starter, so we turn it off because I don't like the extra wear and tear. I did not know that it regenerates power in-between high rpm shifts. That has to have an effect on acceleration. The Ram employee exaggerates that feature by explaining that it eliminates slap shifts, where you bounce your head off the seat. I got a chuckle out of that one.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what the brochure says, but have you driven both back to back?
Not since my test drives almost a year and a half ago so I wouldn’t remember what the difference was, all I know is that it’s supposed to improve. I think the smooth downshifting should be credited more to the ZF than anything, I really like that transmission.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, because of minimally greased splines on the rear section of the driveshaft. I've taken mine apart and put a lot of Schaeffer 229 Ultra Red Supreme grease one the entire length of the splines and that problem is gone. The factory doesn't apply enough grease to the splines and the rear section will bind up some times. That bump you fill is it and the trans releasing that tension when the engine shuts off. The none e torque trucks don't feel it as often as they don't shut off at traffic lights but they too regularly feel the bump when it releases.

The above are not my pics, forgot to take pics nor did I remove the entire drive shaft, I only removed the rear section and greased the splines with red grease (where you see the white grease) problem hasn't returned
Adding that to my list of preventative maintenance, removing that thud on stop would make me a lot happier thanks!

chris288

Reaction score
ive had a non etorque 5.7 for 12 years and ordered another non e-torque 2022, e-torque most certainly does smooth out the shifts and the stop / start is flawless.

I didnt get it because of the potential 48v battery problems and the potential for slow speed stalling and restarting problems that ive read about.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Okay, I'll just say it without being a jerk any more. eTorque is connected to the crankshaft via a belt, not the drive shaft. That Ram employee did a good job explaining the system, but he is still hyping it with exaggeration. Fact is, the only place that etorque makes a noticeable difference is when stopped at a traffic light.

If I had eTorque I would just leave it on because it does not use the starter to re-start the engine and saving gas at a traffic light is a good thing. My wife's car does use the starter, so we turn it off because I don't like the extra wear and tear. I did not know that it regenerates power in-between high rpm shifts. That has to have an effect on acceleration. The Ram employee exaggerates that feature by explaining that it eliminates slap shifts, where you bounce your head off the seat. I got a chuckle out of that one.
I thought the torque management system on these trucks is what eliminated the hard shifts? Because I don't feel any snap to shifts in a non etorque truck

Users who are viewing this thread