5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you get a Software update Message on your 12” radio ......DONT DO IT!

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just trying to prevent some of you from the disaster that some of us are facing with this most recent software update on the 12.1 Uconnect radios. There’s a thread in the Uconnect section of this forum with the details but basically the update is bricking the radios and they are on back order, don’t do the update!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just trying to prevent some of you from the disaster that some of us are facing with this most recent software update on the 12.1 Uconnect radios. There’s a thread in the Uconnect section of this forum with the details but basically the update is bricking the radios and they are on back order, don’t do the update!

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this. Are you currently having concerns with your vehicle? Please feel free to send us a private message. I would be happy to help!

Alison
RamCares

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
My update notification popped up over the weekend (only the second I've gotten since I got the truck in November '18!), no issues at all with it.

STR

Reaction score
I recently read update issues w/the HD Radio, Apple Car Play, Voice Commands, etc., in another thread. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I got a (second) call from my dealer about recalls. They had called me awhile ago about both the wiper recall and the Uconnect recall (some backup camera screwup). This weeks call, they told me they were only showing the wiper recall. Asked them if the Uconnect recall was done via OTA push update - YES.

Which means - we DO GET UPDATES, even if we aren't asked to approve them.

Just sayin...

Rick

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
It wasn't an option to not do it for me. It was either "update now" or defer until a later time, up to 2359 the same day. It was mandatory.

And it didn't go perfectly well for me.
  1. I lost all my XM presets, manually restored those.
  2. My phone connected at first then disconnected, I had to pair again, it worked then disconnected after a bit, paired again, seemed to hold, we shall see.
  3. Android Auto acted like it was never installed in my phone, it reinitialized and worked at first, then disconnected, wouldn't reconnect. Then worked again after second phone re-pair. We shall see.
  4. I lost my trip computer screen in the radio. I really liked it, too bad they took it away!!!
  5. I only drove with the update for 30 minutes, so we will see what else is happening.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It wasn't an option to not do it for me. It was either "update now" or defer until a later time, up to 2359 the same day. It was mandatory.

And it didn't go perfectly well for me.
  1. I lost all my XM presets, manually restored those.
  2. My phone connected at first then disconnected, I had to pair again, it worked then disconnected after a bit, paired again, seemed to hold, we shall see.
  3. Android Auto acted like it was never installed in my phone, it reinitialized and worked at first, then disconnected, wouldn't reconnect. Then worked again after second phone re-pair. We shall see.
  4. I lost my trip computer screen in the radio. I really liked it, too bad they took it away!!!
  5. I only drove with the update for 30 minutes, so we will see what else is happening.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My uconnect update was pretty much trouble free. I did get a notification that the update failed the evening I said complete the update now. The next morning I moved the truck out of the garage and it popped up with the successful notification. Never lost siriusXM presets. I have found that the favorite song notification is still crappy but when I do catch it and hit tune it goes to a working media screen. Before it would go blank but change to the song. Voice address works excellent.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My uconnect update was pretty much trouble free. I did get a notification that the update failed the evening I said complete the update now. The next morning I moved the truck out of the garage and it popped up with the successful notification. Never lost siriusXM presets. I have found that the favorite song notification is still crappy but when I do catch it and hit tune it goes to a working media screen. Before it would go blank but change to the song. Voice address works excellent.
Funny I have never been able to get the voice address function to work very well. Is it working better after the update?

Reaction score
My update went ok. I had some trouble getting android auto to work again but I did figure it out.

Nibis

Reaction score
Mine went fine, I started to leave work, it asked if I wanted to schedule it, I picked a time I knew it would work for me, left it out of the garage, all is well

Nickjansen

Reaction score
Mine went well and no problems too. Had done it about 5 days ago and just got into my truck this morning and my SXM radio station presets are back to factory but atleast it left The Highway channel on and playing. Which is the only reason the truck did not burn to the ground on the spot.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My update went ok. I had some trouble getting android auto to work again but I did figure it out.
Same here.

Also one thing I notice which I am really happy about is they updated the route numbers on the map. Mine were these tiny unreadable icons before the update. Now they are nice little sign looking icons that are plain and easy to see and read. I do still miss the detailed trip computer that was in the "information" section of the nav system. It is gone.

Adrian

Reaction score
I got my first prompt for an ota update recently and after it completed screen displayed will restart system or something like that. Then it went black and never restarted and I could not turn it on. Had to take it to the dealership to get it working again. They told me if it’s working and I don’t have any issues not to initiate any ota updates just ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread