5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you bought a truck that's not a Ram

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I would probably go with a Ford. I seriously looked at them before going with the Ram. I didn’t like the tiny turbo motors and aluminum bodies (hood and tailgate in the Ram are more than enough). I like the Ram 5.7 Hemi with no ESS. I’m talking the tradition “half ton” pickup. If I were going a more heavy duty truck, I would have to do a lot more research.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I would probably go with a Ford. I seriously looked at them before going with the Ram. I didn’t like the tiny turbo motors and aluminum bodies (hood and tailgate in the Ram are more than enough). I like the Ram 5.7 Hemi with no ESS. I’m talking the tradition “half ton” pickup. If I were going a more heavy duty truck, I would have to do a lot more research.
You can get a 5.0 in the f150, pretty much on par or a little quicker that the hemi.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to buy based on what's available today, almost certainly a F-150 Powerboost or F-250 Powerstroke.

If I were to buy next year, to include trucks that haven't been formally launched or made available yet, here's the light duty list:
  1. Sierra Denali 3.0 (only assuming the interior update is a big step up from what it is today, otherwise it's not on the list)
  2. F-150 Powerboost
  3. F-150 Lightning
  4. Toyota Tundra
Looking at 2500 series trucks, it would be the F-250 Powerstroke slightly ahead of the Denali Duramax.

All that said, I will be on the market for a new truck to replace mine this fall, so I'm quite looking forward to seeing the Sierra interior redesign and the Tundra. I'm certainly leaning towards just swapping mine out for a '22 3.0, but if the Sierra and Tundra are available when I start looking in 4-5 months, I'll definitely check them out.
I like where your head’s at. I could do most of these, but I’m still a sucker for a Power Wagon too.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
You can get a 5.0 in the f150, pretty much on par or a little quicker that the hemi.
That’s correct. I looked at F150’s in my area and couldn’t find anything close to the configuration I wanted. The F150 has ESS which I was trying to avoid.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I like where your head’s at. I could do most of these, but I’m still a sucker for a Power Wagon too.
I know I'm in the minority here, but the PW doesn't do it for me at all. The extent of offroading for me is gravel roads and parking in fields at wineries, concerts and such. I don't care for lifts or the aggressive rubber, or anything else that comes with the PW.

95% of my time is driving on pavement with a light load well within 1500 parameters. I say this as someone who's considering a 2500 class diesel that is way overkill for my use case, but the PW just doesn't do it for me.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here, but the PW doesn't do it for me at all. The extent of offroading for me is gravel roads and parking in fields at wineries, concerts and such. I don't care for lifts or the aggressive rubber, or anything else that comes with the PW.

95% of my time is driving on pavement with a light load well within 1500 parameters. I say this as someone who's considering a 2500 class diesel that is way overkill for my use case, but the PW just doesn't do it for me.
I like to imagine myself having a use for the PowerWagon, where I’m trucking through mud, powering up rutted hills, climbing rocks, and generally making my wife dig her nails into the armrest, but truth is, I’m not up to any of that stuff (maybe a little of the last one). Maybe one day.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha…I see the 12-year-old in you is alive and well ;)
Ha, you know it!

I'm taking the kiddos here in late summer/fall and I'm definitely even more excited about it than they are 😂

Gr8dane

Reaction score
Since 09 ive had a new journey ( complete lemon) 09 hemi, 13 Laramie then went '15 3.5 ecoboost. Not gonna lie the power and gas mileage left rams in the dust. 32 foot travel travel towed way better. Loved the new design of the rams though interiors blow them all away though until this year with ford its close. Way better ride in the ram due to coils which when I hooked up to the '13 Laramie bagged it right out. Also the Ford dealer was amazing. I went into the Dodge dealer and as soon as i said i was interested. Calls everyday trying to get me in when I told them i was coming in but it would be a month or so. Finally did and ordered a new 2021 sport. That was May 12th. Ive called twice just to see if I can get some kind of date and they got kinda snarky which really pissed me off seeing as they were borderline harassing me to come in. Now ive paid a few grand worked out financing and crickets. I told them ill leave it alone until 12 weeks are up then they better start screening their calls because I will call daily just for the payback. Needless to say if I wait a day longer than 16 weeks ill cancel my order and go back to Ford.

For an example I liked a Ford that was about an hour away in a small town of less than 10,000. Got a call to inform me they sold it on a saturday i said i was actually going down Monday to pick it up. Salesman opened the dealership up for me on a Sunday to look at new arrivals but i was keen on the one that was sold. So they swapped a truck from 1100km away, gave me a better price, waived freight and pdi, again opened up at midnight less than a week later with my truck. Also it was snowing and didnt get mats yet so she went back inside grabbed me a new set of husky liners for free and i was off. Unbelievable service and after that 3 friends went down and bought from there.

So dont get me wrong I cant wait to get my new Ram but the dealership I dealt with is less than desirable. EV is the future and im sure ill have some haters but the New Lightning..wow. I wonder what Ram will come up with for EV because as of now by the time im ready to trade in they should have all the kinks worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread