5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not a Ram, then what?

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score
Since I just bought mine, I can clearly say Ram.

I shopped a pretty big segment of vehicles that can tow and haul a family. 3-row SUVs made my list, too.
F150, Expedition
Tundra, Sequoia
Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
Ram, Durango, Grand Cherokee L
Titan, Armada

I needed an all-rounder. Good on road trips, good for daily, towing, good storage/features, good interface, good looks, luxury feel without spending too much money. Something that I've earned with age but also functional. I was also looking for half-way decent fuel economy: I knew big vehicles aren't known for their MPGs, but I set out for one that would out-class the rest.

1st Place: Ram 1500. Best looking all around and best features. Most modern looking and driving. Best fuel economy with the EcoDiesel. I did a lot of homework on the reliability of the DT and the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel and found that it was one of the top rated for reliability. I can also attest, the EcoDiesel is one of the best engines I've ever towed with in a 1500.
View attachment 134055

2nd Place: New Tundra/Sequoia. Good looks (IMO). Modern features, modern looks, dependable, fairly luxiourous, and powerful. I always avoid first-model-years, let them iron out all the bugs: like this one. What put me off was that the new engine didn't hit the mark. I'm fine with it being V6, I'm fine with it being Turbo, I'm fine with it being Hybrid. But if you're going to build a V6 Twin Turbo Hybrid, super crazy mad-scientist ground-up build for the future of your company....why's it only getting 22mpg combined? The engine is the biggest failure, in my book.
View attachment 134061

3rd Place: F150/Expedition. I've never been a fan of Ford and I still call them Found On Road Dead. But I think all 3 of their trucks are worth considering. Comfortable, Functional, Modern, I can respect that they've put a lot of time and effort into their best-selling product. The Engine Choices are also pretty good. I simply don't think it's as refined as the other trucks.
View attachment 134063

4th Place: Titan/Armada. 4th and 5th place was a toss-up. I've been a Nissan fan all my life and I still enjoy my Frontier. Despite Nissan's funding problems, the Titan continues to look good and be good value for the money. It's a tough and reliable work truck built on a solid foundation, it'll last a nuclear war. The only problem is it's ancient. It's an uncomfortable ride, gas guzzler, ancient infotainment system. It has my favorite interior, aside from the screen looking like it's from 2012.
View attachment 134065

5th Place: Silverado/Suburban. I've been a Chevy fan, but somehow they always miss the mark. I think the Silverado is the ugliest thing they've ever made. It's boxy and clunky looking, every model looks like a Fleet truck. The interior is too inconsistent per model, but I don't like most I've seen, again, the interior looks like a fleet vehicle. Chevy has also struggled with initial quality and reliability, lately. Although I would consider their 3.0 Diesel Silverado/Suburban, I'm concerned I would have a lot of problems down the road.

View attachment 134066

6th Place: Durango/G.Cherokee L. I'm being hard on them because Stellantis doesn't offer a good SUV alternative to the Ram 1500. I really did want a good tow-capable 3-row SUV as my next car and because I was so impressed by the Ram EcoDiesel, I really wanted a comparable SUV. The L is especially nice inside and out, but it lacks the capability and the Diesel option that would've made me pull the trigger on one. They both sit on the line between nailing it and then suddenly remembering it's geared toward soccer moms.
View attachment 134068

Are you getting an SUV too? Mostly agree with everything here, but I liked the look of the Tundra's better before they changed them. What do you think about the Wagoneer?

Reverse

Reaction score
If I were buying now, I'd get the 'Pro' version of the F-150 Lightning - $41K is a smoking deal for an all-electric full-size pickup (compared to other electric vehicles). And that's before a possible $7500 fedral credit.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were buying now, I'd get the 'Pro' version of the F-150 Lightning - $41K is a smoking deal for an all-electric full-size pickup (compared to other electric vehicles). And that's before a possible $7500 fedral credit.
$41k is a pipe dream. First you need to find one available. Second, you need to find one that's not dealer marked up.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Are you getting an SUV too? Mostly agree with everything here, but I liked the look of the Tundra's better before they changed them. What do you think about the Wagoneer?
Well, not anymore. I was choosing between a Pickup and Body-on-Frame SUV, I ended up with my Ram.

I honestly would've preferred something like the Suburban or Expedition Max (even the Armada or Sequoia). I would've liked having the cargo/passenger volume without sacrificing tow capacity, but neither got particularly good fuel economy (compared to the Ram) nor did I trust Ford/Chevy build quality.

I also have this weird thing about Chevy. For the past 6 years, every time I step in to drive a chevy/gmc/caddy Truck or SUV, I ALWAYS hit my knee on the dash. Without fail, and I can't explain why. This applies to some Rental Surburbans, my father in-law's Silverado, and my neighbor's Yukon, which I was helping him unload a boat, last weekend.

Seriously, my neighbor is like 6'6, he drives with the seat back, so that's not the issue. I hopped up into his Yukon to back his boat into the water and *BAM!* I'm reminded I'm driving a GM.

Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, I think it's got the best looking interior on the block, it puts Cadillac to shame, IMO. Unfortunately, it's just too dang rich for my blood and I'm disappointed there is no EcoDiesel option.

$41k is a pipe dream. First you need to find one available. Second, you need to find one that's not dealer marked up.
I agree, I wouldn't count your chickens.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
41k is not likely in today's market. Also, what options do you get at 41K? 230 mile range and a 5,000 lb towing capacity?

kmilke22

Reaction score
the Chevy Trailbosses have been catching my eye lately on the road. I've never driven one or anything but from a pure visual I would check them out if Ram wasn't available. I was Ford all my life but I just don't like how the exterior/interior never seems to change (some ppl don't like change, just personal choice. Obviously price would be a factor, but when I get new vehicles, the exposure to new features and just the overall look and design appeals to me. I plan on keeping my 21 Ram for all of its life, so who knows by the time that comes around what trucks will be around...if any at the rate were going with EVs...

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking of POSSIBLY jumping ship and trading my Rebel. I really like the new Silverado LT Trailboss and might even consider the new Colorado ZR2 (once they get the bugs worked out of the Colorados). I've driven Dodge and Ram 1500s since 1996 and have absolutely loved the brand. For some reason it just feels like the brand is in the process of losing its soul. I don't know, maybe I'm just bored.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking of POSSIBLY jumping ship and trading my Rebel. I really like the new Silverado LT Trailboss and might even consider the new Colorado ZR2 (once they get the bugs worked out of the Colorados). I've driven Dodge and Ram 1500s since 1996 and have absolutely loved the brand. For some reason it just feels like the brand is in the process of losing its soul. I don't know, maybe I'm just bored.
If you are looking to downsize you might want to see what the rumored Dakota is all about if you can hold off the itch to make a change that long.
I had a 2019 Colorado and it just didn't do it for me. Cheap feeling interior is what turned me off. I do understand that they have made some changes so hopefully that is improved now.
Good luck with your decision.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new smal diesel in the chev is impressive. Very quiet. Great fuel economy. More power. 2 young guys at work just bought trail bosses with the diesel and I got to take one out to compare. I liked it. The new GM interior is much better and rhe digital dash and info system works really well. I’d probably go that way if I had to right now otherwise I’ll wait for the new refreshed ram. Not a fan of style of the Rev so hopefully they keep the gassers looking different.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
If you are looking to downsize you might want to see what the rumored Dakota is all about if you can hold off the itch to make a change that long.
I had a 2019 Colorado and it just didn't do it for me. Cheap feeling interior is what turned me off. I do understand that they have made some changes so hopefully that is improved now.
Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Geddyflea

Reaction score
The new smal diesel in the chev is impressive. Very quiet. Great fuel economy. More power. 2 young guys at work just bought trail bosses with the diesel and I got to take one out to compare. I liked it. The new GM interior is much better and rhe digital dash and info system works really well. I’d probably go that way if I had to right now otherwise I’ll wait for the new refreshed ram. Not a fan of style of the Rev so hopefully they keep the gassers looking different.
How did the Trailboss feel driving it? Did it feel cramped comparing it to your Rebel and was it a bit easier to drive and park? I think I will like the Colorado ZR2 if Chevy can ever get them built and on their lots. A sub $60k loaded mid size truck that will have a huge aftermarket selection sounds pretty appealing to me.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did the Trailboss feel driving it? Did it feel cramped comparing it to your Rebel and was it a bit easier to drive and park? I think I will like the Colorado ZR2 if Chevy can ever get them built and on their lots. A sub $60k loaded mid size truck that will have a huge aftermarket selection sounds pretty appealing to me.
It felt pretty close to the rebel - same kind of lift and tires. Interior looks smaller in the back but not by much. The new interior is waaaaaaay nicer that the last 2020 I looked at and that new diesel is pretty slick.Too bad ram didn’t stick it out and refresh our oil burner. I’ve read the 2024 Silverado zr2 will have the diesel as an option. That will be a sweet truck…

Geddyflea

Reaction score
It felt pretty close to the rebel - same kind of lift and tires. Interior looks smaller in the back but not by much. The new interior is waaaaaaay nicer that the last 2020 I looked at and that new diesel is pretty slick.Too bad ram didn’t stick it out and refresh our oil burner. I’ve read the 2024 Silverado zr2 will have the diesel as an option. That will be a sweet truck…
Thanks for the info!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would look hard at GM once the new v8 is released (probably 2025). RAM has always been the brand where you get more per MSRP and rebates were great. Now my mildly optioned Laramie is over $68k in a 2023. 26% increase since Aug 2020 build. Insane. That is the same MSRP as a better-optioned High Country. I know someone that got a 2022 Laramie SW Edition from Mark Dodge (it was built almost exactly a year ago) and MSRP is up $8k from $64k to 72k. RAM sales are down 17% and dealer inventory is increasing rapidly. But they are increasing 24 MY by over a grand and who knows how much and often price increases will happen duri g the MY. And the HEMI is going away but GM is developing an update and Ford is keeping the Coyote. Stenallis is killing the brand.

John Galt

Reaction score
As long as the interiors stay this nice and V8s are available I’d buy a Ram (In fact I just did).

If Ram drops the V8 I’ll be looking elsewhere for my next truck.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before buying my ram I was leaning towards the Cummins Toyota and the f-150 platinum eco boost . But the interior of the ram had me. Wish I knew what I do now about buying a 2019 5th gen and the problems that come with buying a 1st rendition of a face lift. I’ll never do that again!

6of36

Reaction score
I would look hard at GM once the new v8 is released (probably 2025). RAM has always been the brand where you get more per MSRP and rebates were great. Now my mildly optioned Laramie is over $68k in a 2023. 26% increase since Aug 2020 build. Insane. That is the same MSRP as a better-optioned High Country. I know someone that got a 2022 Laramie SW Edition from Mark Dodge (it was built almost exactly a year ago) and MSRP is up $8k from $64k to 72k. RAM sales are down 17% and dealer inventory is increasing rapidly. But they are increasing 24 MY by over a grand and who knows how much and often price increases will happen duri g the MY. And the HEMI is going away but GM is developing an update and Ford is keeping the Coyote. Stenallis is killing the brand.
Base MSRP has gone up $610, on a Limited between 23 and 24. Thanks to Joe Lieden, inflation has gone up over 20% since 2020. How much are eggs compared to 2020? Do you think prices would stay the same? Even my Social Security went up over 5%, which is way less than inflation this year, but 5 times what it has ever gone up.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you were to buy a pickup right now, what would you buy? Stick with Ram or different flavor?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

If I were going to buy a new truck today, it would be a Ford F-350 Supercrew 4x4 XL. I'd add the XL Off Road package, roof clearance lights, spray in bedliner, step rails, and maybe the Pro Power Onboard package. Would come out around $56k sticker and would be MUCH more capable as a truck and tool and family hauler.

In fact, I tried to get out of my lease early and do just this very thing last month, but Ally Bank is as shady as a forest. DO NOT ever lease with Ally.

6of36

Reaction score
Before buying my ram I was leaning towards the Cummins Toyota and the f-150 platinum eco boost . But the interior of the ram had me. Wish I knew what I do now about buying a 2019 5th gen and the problems that come with buying a 1st rendition of a face lift. I’ll never do that again!
Never buy a first year anything. That's why I ordered a 24, I won't trust the Hurricane engine for years.

Users who are viewing this thread