5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I only tow occasionally...

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell you from experience that if you kick something up and it hits a trailer tire, you don't need a monitor. You will know what happened. They are definitely nice to have so you can see temps and low tires or leaks though.
I tow what would be classed as heavy for a 1500 with a Limited without the tow mirrors, and have no problem, so as long as you are within capabilities and drive defensively you should be fine.

Bob1966

Reaction score
My opinion is that on the trailer, especially a camper, you want tire pressure and temperature readings if you want to be able to avoid a blowout. I would get (and I have) an aftermarket tire monitor so I could keep track of the temperatures and also get an audible alarm if there is rapid pressure drop so you can pull over before the tire takes out your fender and does lots of damage to the trailer.

So I would put that money towards a tire monitor, I chose EZ Tire but there are lots of them out there....I sit the display in the center recess on the dash where the 12v plug is.
Thank you bill-e,
Great points on the temp and alarms, kinda new to the travel trailing scene. We have an airstream and have read some blowout horror stories. Appreciate the advice, will check out EZ tire.
many thanks!

Bob1966

Reaction score
Thank you bill-e,
Great points on the temp and alarms, kinda new to the travel trailing scene. We have an airstream and have read some blowout horror stories. Appreciate the advice, will check out EZ tire.
many thanks!
And to add a follow up, Ram got back with me, the tpms sensors are included and should have been in the glove box at time of delivery. They are taking care of it, sent a claim number for the dealer to order them. Thought pretty good customer service!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And to add a follow up, Ram got back with me, the tpms sensors are included and should have been in the glove box at time of delivery. They are taking care of it, sent a claim number for the dealer to order them. Thought pretty good customer service!
Also, while tires, especially china bombs, do blow up on their own, always tell the insurance company that you hit something in the road so that everything is covered. Also, 95% of OEM trailer tires are only speed rated to 65mph so drive accordingly....speed is the main reason they're called china bombs.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This forum has been very informative. Got a quick question, does anyone know the part number for the trailer tpms sensors for the 2021 1500 models. Have the correct tow package, was told at the dealership that only the 2500 and 3500 are the only ones that the extra sensors are included with the vehicle. I’ve contacted 3 dealerships parts departments and no one can figure out the correct ones to even order, kinda frustrating. Have also contacted Ram directly and nothing from them as well😬.
Much appreciate any insight.

I got the Trailer Tow Group on my 2021 1500 Laramie and there are
four extra sensors for the trailer in the Glove Box.

I would have to look what the PN# is on what was included.

Malodave

OlsonNick

Reaction score
Here’s the part number on mine for anyone that needs it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 26

Bob1966

Reaction score
Mystery solved, just an FYI for those who have a 21 with factory trailer tpms package. The truck should be delivered with 4 sensors in the glovebox.
That kit # 68433188AA
The individual sensor part # is 68375992A
My truck was deliver without sensors, I contacted Ram. The did respond quickly, however sent me 4 sensors that are to be used to add a 3rd axle and will not pair with a 1500. Of course I’m learning this after having them installed😤.
That individual sensor part # is 68293199AA, again those will not pair up to a 1500 with factory trailer tpms package. Those are used to pair up a 3rd axle.
Hopes this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread