5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I only tow occasionally...

njt07

Reaction score
Do I need the trailor tow group on the 2021? Found a limited that has everything I want (and the pano that I dont...) except the trailer tow group.

I figure if I only tow occasionally I shouldnt need it right?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The limited will have everything you need for towing occasionally. You will only be missing the tow mirrors and trailer brake controller.

Most do not like the mirrors and the controller is easy to add later

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have the trailer tow group and have no issues. The integrated brake controller would be nice but the cost to add was insane at $400+ from the dealer. I added an aftermarket controller and it works great. I've towed everything from small utility trailers to travel trailers and 18ft flatbed and dump trailers with no issues. I find the standard mirrors with the additional small mirror top right work great even with a decent trailer.

njt07

Reaction score
the only new thing that would be ”fun” was the trailor turn wheel thing, but I’ve been doing without my whole so no biggie. Trailor brake control is a bit of a loss but I can get an aftermarket.

Nels

Reaction score
Don't need factory trailer brake. I use a bluetooth brake control but Curt. About $250. Works great and you don't have anything bolted under your dash.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Don't need factory trailer brake. I use a bluetooth brake control but Curt. About $250. Works great and you don't have anything bolted under your dash.
I don’t have a tow package. But I still got the trailer brake control. So many ways to configure.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would pay the money for the dealer to install the brake controller....works awesome. As far as towing occasionally, while you're actually towing it isn't occasionally, it's now so why not equip your $70k truck for that.

If you get surround mirrors/camera, in my experience that's plenty.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Tow Group add ons are the Power Fold Tow Mirrors, 360º Surround Cameras,
Mirror Reverse LED, Trailer Brake Controller, Trailer Steering Controller and four
TPMS Sensors for the Trailer were in the Glove Box.

So that was these groups:

AHC $995
Trailer Tow Group w/ Brake Control
Trailer Brake-Control
Trailer-Light Check
Trailer Reverse Steering Control
Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Power Trailer-Tow Mirrors
Aux Mirror Reverse LED

ALP $1695
Advanced Safety Group
Adaptive Cruise-Control with Stop & Go
Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
Lane-Keep Assist
Parallel and Perpendicular Park-Assist with Stop
Pedestrian Emergency Braking
360º Surround-View Camera

??? $445
Black Power-Fold Trailer Tow Mirrors

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one said anything about it depending on what you're towing. If you're towing up to a medium sized boat or small utility trailer you won't need anything besides a hitch. Your truck is pre-wired for lighting. And if what you're towing doesn't have trailer brakes a brake controller isn't needed either. Since you have the TBC you're set. You might want to pick up a set of mirror extensions If you are going to tow something wider though.

Drewster

Reaction score
Just looked again, it does have the TBC just not the tow group
That's probably what you want - the trailer mirrors don't have cameras, so you'd have a limited without the surround cameras, etc.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's probably what you want - the trailer mirrors don't have cameras, so you'd have a limited without the surround cameras, etc.
You'd be right except the truck he's looking at is a 2021. The tow mirrors now contain surround view cameras if the truck has that feature. They are also power folding and heated. The trailer-tow group doesn't even contain tow mirrors anymore, at least for a Limited (which is what he's looking at). They are a separate add-on, and not part of that package anymore.

Attachments

• 2021 tow group list.JPG
    2021 tow group list.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 14

Drewster

Reaction score
You'd be right except the truck he's looking at is a 2021. The tow mirrors now contain surround view cameras if the truck has that feature. They are also power folding and heated. The trailer-tow group doesn't even contain tow mirrors anymore, at least for a Limited (which is what he's looking at). They are a separate add-on, and not part of that package anymore.
Oooh, fancy - what do you want to bet that's what the DT's were *supposed* to have from the start?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oooh, fancy - what do you want to bet that's what the DT's were *supposed* to have from the start?
Haha...well they certainly should have. We almost got bit by that on our 2020 Limited. Thanks to this forum I was aware of that issue so we didn't get the tow package. A lot of other people were not so fortunate. Salesman didn't even know about that at the time.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This forum discussion is so hard to do. Because a simple question is asked. A simple answer is given.

And then the discussion happens. This package that package then this trim that trim.

For the OP. Asking about a limited. It has everything for occasional towing.

Most states require trailer brakes over 2000lbs...some 1000lbs. The truck he is looking at has them.

Not having tow mirrors is not a deal breaker. You can tow most any trailer without them.

Then we get into the guy wanting to haul a camper. Tow mirrors make that easier. But still not needed.

Then the guy comes who is looking at a Bighorn.
Well things just got real. A Bighorn can come without all the stuff needed to tow.
The Class 4 receiver hitch is not standard. You do not lose options just going with the regukar tow mirrors. The package makes more sense.

You also need to realize...you have to buy a ball mount also. You may need a Weight Distribution Hitch also. A WDH is recommended on trailers over 5000lbs.

Good times

Bob1966

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This forum has been very informative. Got a quick question, does anyone know the part number for the trailer tpms sensors for the 2021 1500 models. Have the correct tow package, was told at the dealership that only the 2500 and 3500 are the only ones that the extra sensors are included with the vehicle. I’ve contacted 3 dealerships parts departments and no one can figure out the correct ones to even order, kinda frustrating. Have also contacted Ram directly and nothing from them as well😬.
Much appreciate any insight.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This forum has been very informative. Got a quick question, does anyone know the part number for the trailer tpms sensors for the 2021 1500 models. Have the correct tow package, was told at the dealership that only the 2500 and 3500 are the only ones that the extra sensors are included with the vehicle. I’ve contacted 3 dealerships parts departments and no one can figure out the correct ones to even order, kinda frustrating. Have also contacted Ram directly and nothing from them as well😬.
Much appreciate any insight.
My opinion is that on the trailer, especially a camper, you want tire pressure and temperature readings if you want to be able to avoid a blowout. I would get (and I have) an aftermarket tire monitor so I could keep track of the temperatures and also get an audible alarm if there is rapid pressure drop so you can pull over before the tire takes out your fender and does lots of damage to the trailer.

So I would put that money towards a tire monitor, I chose EZ Tire but there are lots of them out there....I sit the display in the center recess on the dash where the 12v plug is.

Users who are viewing this thread