5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle Shake.?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing they are iridium considering we have flooded cell batteries and incandessant cargo & third brake lights. The HEMI must REALLY shake without them.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing they are iridium considering we have flooded cell batteries and incandessant cargo & third brake lights. The HEMI must REALLY shake without them.

Our Hemis ran fine with coppers 2009-2013, the older versions of it ran fine before that, 2003-2008. Almost every vehicle before 2013, except Chrysler products, was running platinum or another precious metal plug, which enabled them to do 100k plug changes.
Copper is the best conductor, second only to silver, but its not that durable, hence 30k plug change intervals up until 2014 MY. Many reported that installing platinum plugs into their pre-2014 Ram would cause issues, ranging from rough running to breaking ignition packs.

They changed the ignition system a little at the same time they switched to iridium plugs, around late 2013, to better handle the plug material change. But they got their 100k changes to match the other OEMs.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking if they truly went to Iridium lol.

RHeller1

Reaction score
"NGK IR type spark plugs containing Iridium tip in the central electrode and Platinum pad on the side electrode. They have characteristics similar to the Iridium IX spark plug, but with better performance on static ignition systems, without distributor, combining durability and ignition of the iridium with platinum" Pull yours out, I bet it is an IR plug!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing how this turned into the "iridium spark plug thread".....
Lol no kidding. Regardless of what plugs are in now...I'm still guessing new Iridium XL plugs would help. I think those are the ones I put in the charger to smooth it out.

Aristizabalj

Reaction score
Oh and I'm at just over 23k miles.
Hi guys/gals, Mine has the same problem, sometimes shakes in a way that I think the truck will turn off, at this moment my truck is at the dealer for the second time for that reason, first time they updated the software and after 4 days that I picked up the truck it was exactly the same, they say they dont see codes and I guess they think I’m making this up, use 89 octanes gas as recommended from day 1, I don’t understand why the dealers don’t contact any centralized center where engineers receive the complains from all the dealers so the solution of one dealer could apply to another one, they just say they dont know about a problem like that but I see in the forums that is more common than what I thought, also have the problem of lots of water under the passenger floor mat which they didn’t solved the first time and said that it was spilled water. Hope they can solve both issues this time, this is my second Ram, bought this 2022 because of my good experience with my 2013 but what a frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread