5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle Shake.?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys I've noticed a slight shaking from the engine when I'm idling in park for more than about 15 seconds after startup. I was thinking maybe those crappy stock copper spark plugs that FCA uses might be the culprit..why? Idk lol. Thoughts? Now it drives perfectly smooth without any issues so I'm not convinced that it's the motor mounts for that reason. Any ideas are appreciated!

U

User_3336

My brother has the same "idle shake". Mine's a 19 Hemi. Its annoying, but after it gets moving, its ok, and never does it again upon startup.
There are some other threads about this, but it gets derailed with other issues mixed in.
I have a 20, and it doesn't do it.
There was supposed to be a TSB to address this, but then again, the TSB covers several more issues.
Hard to get to to "replicate" the issue because time it gets to the dealer its ok. Only on a cold start first time for the day.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brother has the same "idle shake". Mine's a 19 Hemi. Its annoying, but after it gets moving, its ok, and never does it again upon startup.
There are some other threads about this, but it gets derailed with other issues mixed in.
I have a 20, and it doesn't do it.
There was supposed to be a TSB to address this, but then again, the TSB covers several more issues.
Hard to get to to "replicate" the issue because time it gets to the dealer its ok. Only on a cold start first time for the day.
Very good point. Maybe I'll throw some iridium plugs in next year and see how it responds.

jkm312

Reaction score
Has it just now started to behave like this? What kind of shape is your air breather in?
Mine did same thing for a short while. I put in about half a tank of 93 octane gas and it cleared up shortly within that same tank.
I've always ran 89 in it as per owner's manual.
Since then I changed filling stations, still run 89 and haven't had the symptom since. I buy my gas at the same filing station as long as I am home. Eliminates some variables.
I chalked mine up to a tank of lame gas.

U

User_3336

Its not the gas. Still does it no matter what grade you use.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has it just now started to behave like this? What kind of shape is your air breather in?
Mine did same thing for a short while. I put in about half a tank of 93 octane gas and it cleared up shortly within that same tank.
I've always ran 89 in it as per owner's manual.
Since then I changed filling stations, still run 89 and haven't had the symptom since. I buy my gas at the same filing station as long as I am home. Eliminates some variables.
I chalked mine up to a tank of lame gas.
It started being a little more noticable a month ago give or take a few days. Always use Arco 89 octane. Just did a full synthetic Mobile 1 oil change on her last weekend. Engine still runs silky smooth...just the random few shakes at idle that I notice. Maybe I'll try some 91 octane from Sinclair or Shell tomorrow (I'm on half a tank right now). I changed the air filter and cleaned out the housing about 3 months ago.

U

User_3336

It started being a little more noticable a month ago give or take a few days. Always use Arco 89 octane. Just did a full synthetic Mobile 1 oil change on her last weekend. Engine still runs silky smooth...just the random few shakes at idle that I notice. Maybe I'll try some 91 octane from Sinclair or Shell tomorrow (I'm on half a tank right now). I changed the air filter and cleaned out the housing about 3 months ago.
Brother's truck has the idle shake since new. He has 1100 miles on it. Appears to be an issue with the first gen 5's (2019's). He has used 87-89-91-93. Gas doesn't make any difference.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brother's truck has the idle shake since new. He has 1100 miles on it. Appears to be an issue with the first gen 5's (2019's). He has used 87-89-91-93. Gas doesn't make any difference.
Damn. He have the Etorque? I doubt that would make any difference though really. I'm still thinking spark plugs might make a difference...I know it made a huge difference in my Charger RT a few years ago...

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Damn. He have the Etorque? I doubt that would make any difference though really. I'm still thinking spark plugs might make a difference...I know it made a huge difference in my Charger RT a few years ago...

I had 140k miles on the sparkplugs in my previous truck, they had 1/2 the ground strap missing and the truck idled perfectly smooth. I changed all 16 and noticed no change. The only way to tell the truck was running was by looking at the tach, factory plugs are fine

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 140k miles on the sparkplugs in my previous truck, they had 1/2 the ground strap missing and the truck idled perfectly smooth. I changed all 16 and noticed no change. The only way to tell the truck was running was by looking at the tach, factory plugs are fine
Maybe they're fine... No way to tell without getting in there. But like I said... Even my charger idled rough until I put some iridium plugs in... Then it idled like butter. I'll probably wait until I got 30k miles on my Ram before I bother changing the plugs

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the stock plugs are (SP143877AB) repart numbered NGK lzfr5ci-11.
Those are iridium

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the stock plugs are (SP143877AB) repart numbered NGK lzfr5ci-11.
Those are iridium
Negative. the first number you listed is a Mopar part which are only replacement options for the OEM plugs, granted those are rebranded NGK Iridium plugs...they are absolutely not the stock plugs. They're either Nickel or Platinum. No Manufacturer in the history of American auto makers has ever used iridium plugs as OEM in any truck. (I just did a little research on it). Of course...my research could be incorrect...but I'm pretty sure no one here has pulled out their plugs on their 5th gen to find out yet.

RHeller1

Reaction score
If I remember right, they started using iridium plugs in like 2014, the same time they changed the replacement interval to 100k.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I remember right, they started using iridium plugs in like 2014, the same time they changed the replacement interval to 100k.
I just don't see it...there's no way it could be cost effective for them to use Iridium plugs for stock. Don't get me wrong...if somehow they are Iridium I would be excited lol. But you can also "technically" get 100k miles out of platinum or nickel plugs...but the last 25k miles or so would be a little rough. I'll try to do a little more research...and if possible; pull one of my plugs out...if I get the time

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck's had the shake since new, now over 11.5k miles. Figured it was part of having a Hemi. Especially noticeable if you're sitting at a red light in Drive. I'm wondering if it might be the Hill Assist so it's slightly straining the motor? I've never turned that off.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I just don't see it...there's no way it could be cost effective for them to use Iridium plugs for stock. Don't get me wrong...if somehow they are Iridium I would be excited lol. But you can also "technically" get 100k miles out of platinum or nickel plugs...but the last 25k miles or so would be a little rough. I'll try to do a little more research...and if possible; pull one of my plugs out...if I get the time

My 2014 Ram had iridium OEM plugs from the factory, and supposedly ever Ram Hemi has since the last half of that model year. Iridium conducts electricity better than platinum. Not sure their justification, but we do get the nicer plugs, hence the 100k spark plug change intervals. I have not pulled my 2020's plugs at all to check part #, but I can do that later out of curiosity.

My truck's had the shake since new, now over 11.5k miles. Figured it was part of having a Hemi. Especially noticeable if you're sitting at a red light in Drive. I'm wondering if it might be the Hill Assist so it's slightly straining the motor? I've never turned that off.

+1. Every Hemi I've ever owned (up to four now) has had a tiny bit of intermittent shake when idling, including my 2020. Never enough to have move the RPM gauge needle, but enough for me to feel.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just did some research on the Mopar plugs for 2020 Hemis, part # SP143877AB according to a few sites I looked at.
People who buy them say the plugs themselves are NGK, with part # lzfr5ci-11 on them. Those are iridium plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread