5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idle hours

2021QCBH

Reaction score
At 47,331 my last oil change I had 90 idle hours. I’m on the highway a lot and don’t let my truck idle unless I’m moving trailers around the barn lot etc. I remote start almost every day a minute before walking out so the truck is idled down and not going into gear at 1200 rpm’s. I might let it idle a while if it’s wicked cold or icy out but that’s rarely.

I wouldn’t be afraid of a truck with reasonably higher idle hours but that one is excessive.

My dad leaves his stuff running all the time. I always tell him I wish I had the money he has to just waste fuel like that.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would make more sense if the OP reversed those hours by mistake, 589 idle hours and 4042 run.

6of36

Reaction score
I'm betting that run timer (589) is listed wrong, that's a 78mph average. Anyone realize how fast you need to drive to have a 78 mph over 46k miles? Even for a police truck. Factor in all the time under the curve while accelerating to "speed". To offset 0-78mph, that truck would have had to consistently been driven over 115 mph
When they do pull out to chase a speeder, they don't drive 55 until they catch them. They would be driving 78 or faster.

6of36

Reaction score
Lets see a screenshot of those hours to make it legit!!
Do you take pictures of a speedometer of a vehicle you are thinking of buying? It's not his, he is only interested in it. Do you expect him to drive to it just to take a picture?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you take pictures of a speedometer of a vehicle you are thinking of buying? It's not his, he is only interested in it. Do you expect him to drive to it just to take a picture?
Yes and yes.
🤣

U

User_3336

Well, um. YES! Since this scenario is surely "out of the norm", YES YES YES, I would have taken pictures of the odometer and probably more of the car, and the hours used screen (its not hard to find in the EVIC).

This user and his first post seems to be a mystery. The OP just said he is "thinking" of buying it. He doesn't state if he's actually SEEN the vehicle, drove it, OR verified the information he has been given (or where ever he obtained the info). Was this on a website the OP seen? If so, why didn't they provide a link to the website of where it was? Where did the OP gain knowledge of this vehicle?

To many unanswered questions, IMHO, for the post to be even legit. so until I see more info posted from the OP, I still think we're bring pranked/trolled.

@6of36, you take away what ever you want to from this thread.

BowDown

Reaction score
When they do pull out to chase a speeder, they don't drive 55 until they catch them. They would be driving 78 or faster.

Drive 100mph then 45mph and watch how fast that average falls. You'd need to far exceed 100mph for a prolonged period of time to have a 78mph average for 46K miles. No way that number is from accelerating beyond 78 mph unless they were in 5+ miles chases every time

BowDown

Reaction score
I just don't need proof that a highway patrol car has high idle hours. It's a believable, although rare scenario.

High idle hours is absolutely believable. 78mph average for 46K miles is not believable

6of36

Reaction score
Cop car. 116,000 miles, 22,000 hours.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Maybe instead of 46,000 miles the odometer was set to kilometers, which would make it an average speed of 49 mph

6of36

Reaction score
High idle hours is absolutely believable. 78mph average for 46K miles is not believable
That was just dividing hours by miles. Not actually saying that was average speed, just saing it's possible by doing 78 MPH.

U

User_3336

I just don't need proof that a highway patrol car has high idle hours. It's a believable, although rare scenario.
you're assuming again (that this was a highway patrol car).

Last edited by a moderator:

BowDown

Reaction score
That was just dividing hours by miles. Not actually saying that was average speed, just saing it's possible by doing 78 MPH.

The math using the provided numbers come out to 78 avg mph. What I'm saying is that with the amount of miles that would be below 78 mph vs those needed to be above 78 mph for that average, its not reasonable unless that truck was used as the pace truck during a nascar race

6of36

Reaction score
The math using the provided numbers come out to 78 avg mph. What I'm saying is that with the amount of miles that would be below 78 mph vs those needed to be above 78 mph for that average, its not reasonable unless that truck was used as the pace truck during a nascar race
Highway patrol. they sit and then go 100 plus to catch the cars. Yes I do have time on my hands, I'm retired, and like to watch police chases on Youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread