5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ideas to “re-invigorate/renew” my truck?

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all, happy new year to everyone! Seeking some ideas from all of you on how I could “re-invigorate/refresh/renew” my truck - I have a 2019 Limited with pretty much every option that I originally leased. My lease came due in September, and with the chip shortages and general mayhem that was the auto industry I ended up buying it out instead of dealing with the strained inventories, price gouging, and overall lack of comparable replacement options available despite having significant equity; around $10k-$12k. Many of those same issues still exist now and may continue even with the market cooling as rates continue to rise.

That said, I can’t shake the feeling of wanting something new. After all, the reason I leased my truck was for the opportunity of getting into something new after 3 years and effectively continue doing that and so on and so forth but the current options are a bit lackluster and/or unavailable. In an ideal world, I’d give the Hummer EV a shot - limited inventory and dealer markups make this unrealistic, especially with my wife and I expecting baby #2 any day, now. The Sierra Denali Ultimate is intriguing, but feels like somewhat of a compromise @ $80k+ with no pano roof, air suspension or rear cooled seats even with supercruise the 6.2 and massage. Current gen F150 is underwhelming, save for the Lightning, but pricing has gotten pretty similar to Hummer EV levels that are difficult to justify. The new Tundra lacks a V8 and feels like too much of a sacrifice. A ‘23 MY DT just isn’t different enough; though the digital gauge cluster is nice and a TRX just isn’t terribly practical as a daily driver.

Which brings me to my whole “renewing” my truck idea. Any thoughts on what I can do to make it feel “new” again? I love my wheels/tires, so wouldn’t change those and can’t really think of anything else except maybe wrapping the bumpers body color (mine are chrome, and the only thing I really “hate”) or throwing on a full exhaust (Borla S-Type/Corsa Sport come to mind) to replace the Flowmaster muffler I had welded in.

Who’s got a creative, outside the box mind that can assist? Sorry for the long post but thanks, in advance for your ideas!

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Well here’s my take:
Interior: Think about custom wrapping the panels that have that horizontal line pattern OR wrap them in suede that matches your indigo interior. Custom steering wheel; see if an upholstery shop can reupholster it with something cool that matches your interior. A dashcam is a great addition that gives peace of mind. DDI seat jackers that raise the front of your seat. This sounds dumb but I swear it made me feel like I was driving a new truck!
Exterior: consider custom badges. I got mine from Ikonic badges. Think about if you want any auxiliary lights. I installed hidden rear lights and they help out at night backing up especially when using the camera. You won’t be able to wrap the bumpers since you have ivory tri coat paint but you can get them professionally paint matched and it would look fantastic - or even consider aftermarket bumpers if you like. One of my favorite mods are the white rock lights I mounted on the frame that turn on whenever I unlock or open the doors! They illuminate the ground all around and under your truck including the steps and they look factory - I’m not talking about the gaudy rock lights that are over done lol.
Performance: a good tune can really liven up performance a lot.
If you choose to do any of these I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how dramatic of a difference you’ll notice!

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Well here’s my take:
Interior: Think about custom wrapping the panels that have that horizontal line pattern OR wrap them in suede that matches your indigo interior. Custom steering wheel; see if an upholstery shop can reupholster it with something cool that matches your interior. A dashcam is a great addition that gives peace of mind. DDI seat jackers that raise the front of your seat. This sounds dumb but I swear it made me feel like I was driving a new truck!
Exterior: consider custom badges. I got mine from Ikonic badges. Think about if you want any auxiliary lights. I installed hidden rear lights and they help out at night backing up especially when using the camera. You won’t be able to wrap the bumpers since you have ivory tri coat paint but you can get them professionally paint matched and it would look fantastic - or even consider aftermarket bumpers if you like. One of my favorite mods are the white rock lights I mounted on the frame that turn on whenever I unlock or open the doors! They illuminate the ground all around and under your truck including the steps and they look factory - I’m not talking about the gaudy rock lights that are over done lol.
Performance: a good tune can really liven up performance a lot.
If you choose to do any of these I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how dramatic of a difference you’ll notice!

Whoa these are some great ideas I hadn’t even considered, thank you! Love the custom badge idea especially, and the auxiliary lights/frame mounted lights. Before the bumper wrap idea I had heavily considered paint matching but a lot of shops in my area won‘t touch chrome - might have to look into that, deeper. I had also considered a custom grille but there aren’t many options out there for the Limited…

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmm well there are quite a lot of things you could do, but when I see a request for us to spend the owner's money I always go offroad build lol
  1. I'd start with suspension, maybe throw a set of Fox 2.5 or Kings on it. Maybe even Carli Performance Package since it's a one-stop kit
  2. Add lights. like @5thgen.ram did, A-pillar lights, reverse lights, rock lights (underglow), and bumper lights. I did A-pillar lights with SDHQ brackets, chase lights installed on my bed rack instead of reverse lights, and BD LP6 on Dark Dunes bumper brackets.
  3. ICS Fab. dash mount
  4. bed rack
  5. decked drawer system
  6. sliders (White Knuckle Offroad)
You can look at my build thread to see what things look like.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Those rear hidden lights look great! Can you point me to where those were purchased?
Thanks! They are Sunpie rock lights from Amazon. I drilled holes in the valence the size of the lens then sanded down the back of the valence and the light & used 2 part epoxy to stick them into place lol. It’s held up flawlessly!

Okie22

Reaction score
Well here’s my take:
. DDI seat jackers that raise the front of your seat. This sounds dumb but I swear it made me feel like I was driving a new truck!
Any chance you have a photo of your DDIs? Mine just came in today but to me it seemed like they wouldn't fit

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I don’t have a pic on hand but I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I got mine

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How much money do you want to spend?

You could do a color change which would ask cover the chrome bumpers by having the truck plastidipped. If done properly it holds up great and is easy to remove in the future to do something else. Average price for a decent solid color for struck would be $3000-$4000. About the same as a vinyl wrap, but easier to remove.

For performance, as suggested, a custom tune with an unlocked PCM. Will make the truck feel completely different. Better throttle response, more power, could even get better fuel mileage. Add on the new exhaust, a CAI, shorty headers, and you will fall in love with the truck again.

Interior, , not much with the Limited since it's already decked out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can help you spend your money.
What do you do with your truck?
Highway driving, off road, hauling, towing, driving fast, go hunting, etc.
Do you care about the inside or outside looks? Do you like lights? Want to make your truck drive itself on the highways?

I have lots of things you can spend money on, if only I was a millionaire.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
How much money do you want to spend?

You could do a color change which would ask cover the chrome bumpers by having the truck plastidipped. If done properly it holds up great and is easy to remove in the future to do something else. Average price for a decent solid color for struck would be $3000-$4000. About the same as a vinyl wrap, but easier to remove.

For performance, as suggested, a custom tune with an unlocked PCM. Will make the truck feel completely different. Better throttle response, more power, could even get better fuel mileage. Add on the new exhaust, a CAI, shorty headers, and you will fall in love with the truck again.

Interior, , not much with the Limited since it's already decked out.
Plastidip the truck for $3-4k??? Hellll no lol. I’d rather set my money on fire

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To each their own. It's a great product when applied properly.

Every car in this video has been done with Plastidip by one of my friends. It allows you total customization without fear of damaging the vehicle, and is easily removed when you are tired of it, or want to try something else. My friend makes a living by plastidipping vehicles. That his sole source of income.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And you opinion about this is how I feel about rock lights and wheel well lights on trucks. It's the new "underglow" that was popular in the 90s, only on lifted trucks. And I didn't like it in the 90s either.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A supercharger and tune would certainly up the smiles factor, and having a perfectly clean truck without scratches/tears/etc inside and out goes a long way.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a high gloss Plastidip product.
I have never seen Plastidip look like that.
So you are essentially saving money on primer and having a failback color to remove it?

Or do you still sand the original paint to get an even surface? I don't know how that would work on a 5 year old car, wouldn't it be bumpy? Or is the 4-5k include full paint correction before applying the dip?

Av1

Reaction score
Yes, it's a high gloss Plastidip product.

That is interesting. Looks great, actually.

How durable is it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never seen Plastidip look like that.
So you are essentially saving money on primer and having a failback color to remove it?

Or do you still sand the original paint to get an even surface? I don't know how that would work on a 5 year old car, wouldn't it be bumpy? Or is the 4-5k include full paint correction before applying the dip?
A 5 year old vehicle shouldn't have that bad of paint. If it does, there are other issues Plastidip isn't going to fix. You do need a smooth base surface to get that finish. So depending on how bad the paint is yes, it could need some sanding to smooth it out. Any imperfections will show through.

If you think you are getting a quality full paint job for less than $10k you are not getting a quality paint job, and probably just called maaco.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is interesting. Looks great, actually.

How durable is it?
As durable as any other vinyl or liquid wrap. It can be sanded and polished like regular paint.

Users who are viewing this thread