5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IBS and Winch Power Connections

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: A very important caveat on bypassing the IBS for winch installations.

If you decide to bypass the IBS for your winch, always keep in mind that this is only for when actually using the winch. The winch must be detached from the bypass wiring when not in use as I show in my example via the Anderson connector.

If you leave the winch attached to the bypass wiring such as in a permanent winch install, it could provide an alternate path to ground through the winch itself that could likely disable the IBS in normal vehicle operation. Disabling the IBS is never recommended! This may cause potentially serious unknown issues to occur. Do not make this mistake. I've seen several reputable winch installers on YouTube erroneously suggesting this incorrect permanent wiring, so beware of this. I've also seen winch installers erroneously suggesting other incorrect wiring for bypassing the IBS.

Temporarily bypassing the IBS only when the winch is in use is currently the only known workaround for anyone who wants to use a winch on an IBS-equipped RAM 1500 since the consensus is that the OE IBS may not be able to safely handle the extra current applied by the winch. This is only a workaround until this issue can be resolved. Do this at your own risk, and only if you have no other choice as it may result in unknown issues occurring and may void your warranty for certain related issues.

The only proper way to wire a winch to an IBS-equipped vehicle is to either ensure that the OE IBS can safely handle the extra current from the winch or to replace it with a fully compatible IBS with a properly rated ampacity.
so basically you saying have like a quick release to battery for the winch terminals?

HAL9001

Reaction score
so basically you saying have like a quick release to battery for the winch terminals?
If you're installing the winch on a non-permanent use-by-use basis as I am, you can use an Anderson connector as shown in my installation. Once disconnected, there is no potential alternate path to ground.

If you're installing the winch on a permanent basis, you can use a typical battery disconnect switch on the negative lead going to the winch. The only problem with that is the hassle of installing both a positive and negative disconnect switch and always remembering to turn them both off after each winch use.

I'm trying to find out 1). If the existing OE IBS is actually only rated for ~200 amps as most think it is, and 2). if so, I'm trying to find out if there are any fully compatible higher-rated IBS models.

Automotive IBS modules appear to use the LIN 2.x serial network and, more specifically, the SAE J2602-1 protocol. If this is true in RAM's case, then I believe that many IBS's may be interchangeable even among different manufacturers. I'll try to research this further. It would greatly help if there is anyone here who is technically familiar with LIN and the SAE J2602-1 protocol or automotive IBS applications in general.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're installing the winch on a non-permanent use-by-use basis as I am, you can use an Anderson connector as shown in my installation. Once disconnected, there is no potential alternate path to ground.

If you're installing the winch on a permanent basis, you can use a typical battery disconnect switch on the negative lead going to the winch. The only problem with that is the hassle of installing both a positive and negative disconnect switch and always remembering to turn them both off after each winch use.

I'm trying to find out 1). If the existing OE IBS is actually only rated for ~200 amps as most think it is, and 2). if so, I'm trying to find out if there are any fully compatible higher-rated IBS models.

Automotive IBS modules appear to use the LIN 2.x serial network and, more specifically, the SAE J2602-1 protocol. If this is true in RAM's case, then I believe that many IBS's may be interchangeable even among different manufacturers. I'll try to research this further. It would greatly help if there is anyone here who is technically familiar with LIN and the SAE J2602-1 protocol or automotive IBS applications in general.
yes im using my winch on a when ever its needed basis which is never and will be attached to front bumper

HAL9001

Reaction score
yes im using my winch on a when ever its needed basis which is never and will be attached to front bumper
Ok, just be sure to disconnect the wiring, specifically the negative lead, when not in use.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what if i added a aux battery just for the winch and added a isolater that charges the battery while driving from other battery

what i been looking at is these two items

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/smart-start-sbi-12v-200a (200amp)

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1508379 (500 amp)

only considering the 500 amp cause winch can draw 450 amps and didnt know if the winch draws 450 amps from battery would it damage the sbi thats rated to 200 amps ?

or would it just mean the batterys is being drained faster then what it can recharge ?
sorry if its dumb question

Th8785

Reaction score
what if i added a aux battery just for the winch and added a isolater that charges the battery while driving from other battery

what i been looking at is these two items

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/smart-start-sbi-12v-200a (200amp)

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1508379 (500 amp)

only considering the 500 amp cause winch can draw 450 amps and didnt know if the winch draws 450 amps from battery would it damage the sbi thats rated to 200 amps ?

or would it just mean the batterys is being drained faster then what it can recharge ?
sorry if its dumb question
My personal experience would go with running the battery's together. It will help some, but truck will still need to be running. Agm batteries don't produce enough power to gold that kind of amperage for more than a short burst. That being said I'm not sure a battery isolater would be of much help, unless you are simply concerned with draining your starting battery. Also the charging relay may be tricky as you almost have to go off of the stock batt since there is no alternator to grab power from. I may be looking at this all wrong, but I've always been a fan of test and see. Keep an eye on the voltage, maybe run a secondary meter directly to aux battery to keep an accurate eye on it and be cautious

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My personal experience would go with running the battery's together. It will help some, but truck will still need to be running. Agm batteries don't produce enough power to gold that kind of amperage for more than a short burst. That being said I'm not sure a battery isolater would be of much help, unless you are simply concerned with draining your starting battery. Also the charging relay may be tricky as you almost have to go off of the stock batt since there is no alternator to grab power from. I may be looking at this all wrong, but I've always been a fan of test and see. Keep an eye on the voltage, maybe run a secondary meter directly to aux battery to keep an accurate eye on it and be cautious
yes i was gonna make sure to always have truck running … i just mainly dont wanna kill my start up battery

i read so many things lol so hence why im trying to get to something that has alot more positive results

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this is being blown out of proportion look how many V6 stock battery jeeps are running around with winches. I have not had an issue and have used my winch a fair bit. Can you do better from an engineering level yah, is it really necessary I guess individual comfort level comes into play. I am a “what if“ kinda guy and have never not had my micro starters in whatever vehicle I’m using from the truck to the SxS to the boat I just never will be in a situation I can’t help myself for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread