5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got my first taste of Ram sticking it to me!

Maconi

Reaction score
Any information on that TSB#? I’d definitely like to give that a read to learn if I need to bring the truck in to receive it or if it’ll come out quickly as a OTA
This is the only "TSB" (Star Case) that I could find that sounded similar to the OP's issue:

GqIpnYW.png

turkeybird56

Reaction score
ALL of the above why I stayed with 8.4 Ucon 4, with Carplay and Android, no NAV or other stuff. Radio will not even receive OTA. U have to go to dealer. Works for me. Hope U R able to get your problem resolved.

rlc2020

Reaction score
ALL of the above why I stayed with 8.4 Ucon 4, with Carplay and Android, no NAV or other stuff. Radio will not even receive OTA. U have to go to dealer. Works for me. Hope U R able to get your problem resolved.
When I get another truck this is my plan too. 8.4C is a nice radio with a great looking screen, but it's not worth the glitches.

CMENT

Reaction score
My struggles continue . . .

Took my 2019 Ram in for the "bricked" 12in Sirius issue yesterday morning. They called and said they fixed it, and the cost was $106. Got to the dealer to pick the truck up and they said they did a firmware update to fix it. I asked why do I have to pay anything since this was an OTA update that I did not approve or need? I said it is the same thing as if an employee from FCA flew to my house and removed a ball joint in the middle of the night with my permission. The service manager responded, "How do you know it was due to the OTA?" My reply was I am not an idiot and that this is a known problem and there is a TSB for it. He said there is nothing he can do and I need to call FCA. When I dropped it off I asked the service counter person "how many radios have you guys replaced?" and she said "quite a few, quite a few."
Anyway, I paid the $106 and asked "do I have to pay this again if the radio stops working?" and the service manager in a snarky tone replied, "only if it happens outside of 30 days." I grabbed my keys and went to the truck. Started the truck up, and you guessed it, the radio was bricked. The service manager came out to inspect and after confirming it was not working told me to leave the truck. I asked, can I get my $106 back and his quick reply was "no." WTF?
I have bought 5 vehicles from this dealership in the last 12 years and will never buy from them again, and probably not another FCA product either. This is utter BS. [I posted this in another thread too.]

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is still messed up. They had it for a day and a half playing games with STAR and cannot fix it. They finally ordered me a radio per STAR.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

Took my 2019 Ram in for the "bricked" 12in Sirius issue yesterday morning. They called and said they fixed it, and the cost was $106. Got to the dealer to pick the truck up and they said they did a firmware update to fix it. I asked why do I have to pay anything since this was an OTA update that I did not approve or need? I said it is the same thing as if an employee from FCA flew to my house and removed a ball joint in the middle of the night with my permission. The service manager responded, "How do you know it was due to the OTA?" My reply was I am not an idiot and that this is a known problem and there is a TSB for it. He said there is nothing he can do and I need to call FCA. When I dropped it off I asked the service counter person "how many radios have you guys replaced?" and she said "quite a few, quite a few."
Anyway, I paid the $106 and asked "do I have to pay this again if the radio stops working?" and the service manager in a snarky tone replied, "only if it happens outside of 30 days." I grabbed my keys and went to the truck. Started the truck up, and you guessed it, the radio was bricked. The service manager came out to inspect and after confirming it was not working told me to leave the truck. I asked, can I get my $106 back and his quick reply was "no." WTF?
I have bought 5 vehicles from this dealership in the last 12 years and will never buy from them again, and probably not another FCA product either. This is utter BS. [I posted this in another thread too.]

MY REPLY is see post # 43, why I stay away from brand new tech, but all IMHO................................

CMENT

Reaction score
Spent 2.5 hours with FCA customer service this morning. The first rep couldn’t help himself for talking over me and eventually he eventually hung up on me after putting me on hold.
The second rep said I was out of warranty even though I have the extended warranty and that the issue was with Uconnect and not FCA so they forwarded my case to Uconnect. Horrible customer service for an issue caused by RAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rlc2020

Reaction score
Wow, so you paid them to fix something that is under warranty, then it wasn't even fixed and you let them keep your money? no wonder they aren't treating you with respect...
I hate to say it, but you need to man up. I would have burned that dealership down if they talked to me like that and then tried to con me out of $106 and didn't even fix the issue...

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this not a new issue. For many years now, THERE has been a Disconnect between FCA and UCONNECT. it is only about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, neva was any Customer Service, all IMHO.............................. WHICH is why I got the Basic Uconnect 4 Radio which does not even do OTA updates.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what radio I have but I suspect it's one that doesn't know how to do updates because it doesn't have NAV or anything like that on it.

U

User_3336

working told me to leave the truck. I asked, can I get my $106 back and his quick reply was "no." WTF?
CHARGEBACK!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you pay?

ldoh

Reaction score
Spent 2.5 hours with FCA customer service this morning. The first rep couldn’t help himself for talking over me and eventually he eventually hung up on me after putting me on hold.
The second rep said I was out of warranty even though I have the extended warranty and that the issue was with Uconnect and not FCA so they forwarded my case to Uconnect. Horrible customer service for an issue caused by RAM.

I hate to hear these type of stories. Unfortunately it all comes down to whether the dealer wants to honor an extended warranty if it was originally purchased elsewhere. On the other hand, $106 seems like an odd compensation for diagnosing and "fixing" a bricked unit.

You gotta wonder when or if vehicle warranties are any good anymore but especially so with Ram's BS 3rd party LLC backed warranty. Buyer beware and pray you don't get stranded with a dealership from hell.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I don't know what radio I have but I suspect it's one that doesn't know how to do updates because it doesn't have NAV or anything like that on it.

U probably have a Uconnect 4 Radio. Both Carplay and Android capable so U use phone for maps, etc. IF U have no 911/ slash buttons on Mirror, than U have a plain ole NON NAV Uconnect 4. And no, the oTA capability is not built into that radio. If for some reason it needed to be updated, that would be DEALER only. U may have slightly different mirror, but this is RAM Mirror with 911 and such. This Mirror would be associated with radio/Uconnect with NAV/911 SOS built in.

Also check out this URL:

mirror.JPG

Capt. Derek

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. About two months ago they did an OTA software update that bricked my radio. No stereo, no bluetooth, no hands free, just a screen that’s says XM loading. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times for them to try all kinds of updates, flashes, etc before STAR would supposedly allow them to replace the radio. They finally told me the radio is ordered. Today I called for my weekly check in to see if my new radio was in and low and behold I was told that because so many trucks were affected by the faulty software update that they cannot replace the 12” unit. I just have to wait for someday for them to come up with a new software update that they hope will fix my system.....WTF? I have a 5 month old truck that has been broken for 2 months and that’s the answer I get? I’ve owned a half a dozen Rams and have never been the victim of shady behavior by Ram and well I guess my time is up. Not even sure how to respond to this, even the service manager advised that I call FCA and say this isn’t ok?
Lemon Law, an arbitrator will rule, (usually in your favor) and you don't have to use an attorney.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
U probably have a Uconnect 4 Radio. Both Carplay and Android capable so U use phone for maps, etc. IF U have no 911/ slash buttons on Mirror, than U have a plain ole NON NAV Uconnect 4. And no, the oTA capability is not built into that radio. If for some reason it needed to be updated, that would be DEALER only. U may have slightly different mirror, but this is RAM Mirror with 911 and such. This Mirror would be associated with radio/Uconnect with NAV/911 SOS built in.

Also check out this URL:

View attachment 72964
OK, I definitely don't have that. I'm glad about it. Personally, I prefer just a regular old radio although I admit the screen is nice for the rare times that I use navigation through my phone. I like the fact that when I don't need it I just disconnect the phone because I find the constant nav screens annoying.

smblt

Reaction score
Wow, how wide spread is this problem? They must have really screwed up if their software is causing irreparable hardware damage to the radio units. Is it allowing something to burn up? A flaw in the head unit design? Not that they will admit anything unless it becomes a class action or something.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online