5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate modern vehicles [rant]

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
I get in my wife's 2024 Acura MDX. The seat automatically scrunches me up practically to the windshield. I press a series of buttons on the side of the seat, and slowly the seat returns me to a comfortable position.

Previously, in her last vehicle, a '19 4runner, I'd go to start it. Press the button. Nothing. Oh....that's right- the key fob is dead. I have to take the fob and press it against the start button. There. It started.

Once comfortable in the 2024, I put it in reverse. The side view mirrors automatically shift downward to give me a nice veiw of the tire meeting the road, not the 150 feet of driveway behind me. Why in God's name is it ever helpful to see the side of the tire instead of the road behind you when backing up?

In my own truck...the GPS is worthless. I like the touchscreen but the navigation is terrible. Have to type in an address? Better pull over and put it in park- even if it's your passenger who's putting in the address. Once you do enter the address, goodluck getting anything to come up. Better off just using your phone.

But wait! If you do use your phone, you better not have it plugged into one of the USB or USB-C outlets near the head unit or even the middle console, because that, too, will not let you- or or passenger- search things while the truck is in motion. It also will annoyingly sync the navigation, etc to the main vehicle screen without your consent.

Go to put some air in one of my tires with my kids in the back. Have to turn the car off. Why? Because some genius at RAM decided it would be cool to make the truck honk when it hits 32 PSI for 40 PSI rated tires, even though practically every gas station air pump now beeps when you've attained the pre-determined PSI level. So, I turn the truck off...

The list goes on, and on, and on...

Is it just me or were cars/trucks better in the 1990s/early 2000s? I'm sick of the over-technologization. It's only going to get worse. If I had the money and the space I'd start hoarding old basic analog vehicles.

/[semi-]old man yells at cloud

Users who are viewing this thread