5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am getting worse gas mileage than I expected

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Something amiss there.
Have you taken it out for a 65 mph highway run for at least 50 miles? My son was getting 15 combined (with less than 1500 total miles then he went for an hour at 70-75 mph and got 20 mpg. Same Limited 3.21’s as mine.

I did a 18 hour drive, from Texas to Virginia, 99% highway. The truck was completely stock at that time. When I got back I had 3,500 miles on the odometer and 17 mpg.

I am driving the truck from Virginia to California next month. I’ll see what I get then.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You cant solely rely on the dash either. Too many variables, plus it seems to only account for the last X amount of miles (or maybe time).

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed w/ @SilverSurfer15 there - I use aCar (on android) to tally actual gallons vs miles between fills to get numbers.

I just ran the tank down to the point of the range indicator saying 'Low' and did a full fill of 91 - getting 13mpg combined on trips that have been primarily stop/go (with autostop active).. I think 13-14 is pretty realistic w/33's and a Hemi

Wheeler

Reaction score
Best way to enjoy your truck turn off every single avg mpg current mpg gimmicks off and enjoy hemi rumble and head turns at traffic lights.
You won't go broke on mpg and you not going to be millionaire saving on gas
Unless you want to ride an stupidly over priced Golf cart with 4 wheels and a steering

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Best way to enjoy your truck turn off every single avg mpg current mpg gimmicks off and enjoy hemi rumble and head turns at traffic lights.
You won't go broke on mpg and you not going to be millionaire saving on gas
Unless you want to ride an stupidly over priced Golf cart with 4 wheels and a steering
^^^ This ^^^

I don't worry about it one bit, but it's still fun (for me), to play around on hwy trips since my city numbers are around 8.5-10 MPG (I have a stupid-short commute).

Cheers,

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^THIS FOR SURE. I removed the left and right vertical tape from my cluster that showed AVG and Miles to Empty. It cleaned up the presentation in my cluster, and I quit giving a SH** about my mileage...almost immediately (After 10 months of driving with them on). When my fuel light comes on, I get gas!!!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^

I don't worry about it one bit, but it's still fun (for me), to play around on hwy trips since my city numbers are around 8.5-10 MPG (I have a stupid-short commute).

Cheers,
I was doing 5 mile round trips and local driving and received my worst mpg so far at 10.38. Ram mpg very unhappy with cold weather & corresponding cold starts along with short trips. Best mpg 22.54.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^THIS FOR SURE. I removed the left and right vertical tape from my cluster that showed AVG and Miles to Empty. It cleaned up the presentation in my cluster, and I quit giving a SH** about my mileage...almost immediately (After 10 months of driving with them on). When my fuel light comes on, I get gas!!!

Same here, turn off Distance to Empty number and ECO light and drive like i stole it until gas light come on.

derp

Reaction score
the money part of MPG doesn't bother me a bit. the refueling interval is why I care. a 12 MPG tank has me fueling up twice a week. a 19MPG tank is less than once a week.

the difference between city and highway mileage is amazing. I drive with the pace in city and get awful stop and go fuel burn. I can fly like a rocket powered brick on the highway at 80 and the engine begs for more that the road just won't permit.

Users who are viewing this thread