5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am getting worse gas mileage than I expected

Bradleys

Reaction score
Still on my first tank of gas, but I am averaging a little over 13mpg... Trying to stay off the pedal, but this seems lower then I was expecting. 15 in the city was the advertised rate and I am nowhere near that.

Thoughts?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still on my first tank of gas, but I am averaging a little over 13mpg... Trying to stay off the pedal, but this seems lower then I was expecting. 15 in the city was the advertised rate and I am nowhere near that.

Thoughts?

As mentioned there are many threads on this. But the 15 city / 22 highway is probably based on a truck with the 3.21 axle ratio and 18" wheels w/ street tires. If you have the 3.92 and the 22" wheels or the Rebel's 33" all-terrain tires, kiss any chance of that good bye! The issue is RAM blanket EPA rated all their trucks with those numbers, which can be quite inaccurate for a lot of trims.

I have the 3.92 rear axle and 33" tires with my Rebel and the best I was able to get on the highway was 17.5 mpg. I average 12-13 mpg around the city, about 14 mpg mixed.

However, I knew that going in with my truck's setup I wasn't going to get the mixed 18 mpg I got on my Ecoboost 2.7L which was about as fast as my Hemi, but got about 4 mpg more in just about all situations. However, I was willing to give that up for the sound & sense of occasion that comes with a Hemi engine.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it will go up some after awhile, closer to 15 probably. Although this may sound stupid, you should never trust the numbers on the sticker for any vehicle. They are almost worthless. If you look up how they measure them, it’s a joke. The only way to get a decent idea is look at a forum or fuelly.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I bought a truck... with a v8, 3.92, 22 inch rims. this is my 3rd hemi, 2nd with mds, and it is getting great numbers.. I suggest when you can, use the cruise...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was low until I got about 7,000 miles. I was getting 14 but I'm up to 17-18 with mixed driving now at 12,000 miles. It is an etroque but etorque or not the numbers will come up with break in.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting 9 so far .. :)
and that is babying it a bit to break in the motor ..
of course, I only drive like 3 miles a day to/from work.

I did put roughly 30 miles a day last weekend to drive it and get used to it and get some miles under the hood.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a few thousand miles to break in. It should improve a few MPG.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
for Rebel reference; I did a ~1700mi road trip alternating tanks of 89/91 and got ~17mpg. This was through 113* highways and a climb from a desert to 7000' overall as well.

Still on your first tank of gas? you've got a little while until the motors broken in and the ecu learns your habits... the best thing you can do is to drive as you do and let the ecu learn as well

Edit Update: 3.92 Gears, Duratrac 33's, eTorque Hemi (all stock), at about 10k ODO

Last edited:

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, Still on my first tank, 13.7 mpg, got on the highway, took it up to 70, let off the gas and the quick mpg said 99 ! WooHoo! But the pesky main on was solid on 13.7.
Reminds me of high school and my Cuda', 14 was about it so I am not gonna cry, no sir. Love the Hemi and I will feed it!

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Almost 20 MPG with E-Torque off, and MDS off. 328 mile drive mostly Interstate.
Otherwise city with E-Torque off, and MDS off is around 18-18.6 MPG.
I'm now at 18,700 miles.

Always best to reset the Fuel Economy for an accurate measurement otherwise its including the idling, which kills MPG.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
That’s better than my 11 combined—and I’ve been driving conservatively.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something amiss there.
Have you taken it out for a 65 mph highway run for at least 50 miles? My son was getting 15 combined (with less than 1500 total miles then he went for an hour at 70-75 mph and got 20 mpg. Same Limited 3.21’s as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread