5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am due to replace spark plugs. What''s the best out there?

Dave08

Reaction score
Hi, I have about 29,800 miles running on my RAM1500 and I am due to replace it. What is the best spark plugs out there . Truck is for daily use for I would like to have a spark plug that reduces fuel consumption and is not that expensive. Any advise?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hi, I have about 29,800 miles running on my RAM1500 and I am due to replace it. What is the best spark plugs out there . Truck is for daily use for I would like to have a spark plug that reduces fuel consumption and is not that expensive. Any advise?
Your plugs have about another 70k miles left. This is not your dad’s 1970s engine...

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with those plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Stick with whatever plugs it came with. When it's time.

True story: I always used Champions in my 1995 Cherokee. One time I went to my parts store and they stopped carrying them. Said quality has gone downhill yadda yadda yadda and sold me some AC Delcos. No problem for months. Then I drove it from San Jose to Las Vegas -- about an 8 hour drive. Everything was fine until we got off the freeway in Barstow for lunch. Misfiring like you wouldn't believe, six hours from home. Since it didn't seem like it misfired at high speeds, we kept going. Still acted up when we got off the freeway in town. The next day, it was running perfect. Ran perfect for several days. Driving home, it acted up again after a long high speed run. I had the revelation that no matter what AC Delco says, the heat range was wrong. I put in some Champions I bought at Kragens (remember them?) and I never had another problem like that for the next fifteen years I owned it.

If you have a mileage problem, concentrate on the nut behind the steering wheel. That has more effect on economy than anything else you can control.

GaryT

Reaction score
I did have a 2012 5.7 Challenger, it had a 30K mile spark plug change interval, but I think they changed over to Iridium pugs in 2014 and moved the interval to 100K.

Dave08

Reaction score
Any modern iridium and platinum spark plugs are good for many many more miles than the old copper plugs. Manual states 100k interval

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE

Thanks man. I guess it boils down to their price. Where do you usually get yours? I saw a couple from Amazon.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When I did plugs in my BMW I got them from rockauto, it's the cheapest place to get parts but shipping can make it not worth it. I typically buy filters, plugs, wipers or any other maintenance stuff that I can buy ahead of time all at once to save on the shipping cost.

Dave08

Reaction score
When I did plugs in my BMW I got them from rockauto, it's the cheapest place to get parts but shipping can make it not worth it. I typically buy filters, plugs, wipers or any other maintenance stuff that I can buy ahead of time all at once to save on the shipping cost.
Hi, it makes sense to buy ahead of time all at once. I will probably try to research more for other parts I need. Thanks man.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
Hi, is there any brand would you recommend? Thanks.
While not needed, buy NGK, and iridium if available for your application. Been perfectly reliable in the wide range I’ve used them in. Used to use Bosch, but had complications in a couple race and turbo applications.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ignoring the spark plug change interval discussion, I've also always had good luck with NGK. I'm not a fan of Bosch for plugs or O2 sensors, at least for the older vehicles I've tried them in. The only other plugs I'd consider is Mopar. Not sure who makes them for Mopar (hopefully not Bosch LOL). I'd also recommend iridium for longevity.

Calsun

Reaction score
As soon as tetraethyllead was removed from gasoline spark plug life increased dramatically. It is much of the reason why today's engines last so much longer.

I used to regap the spark plugs every 5,000 miles and it was great to be able to avoid this chore. There was always a couple of plugs that were nearly impossible to remove and very tough to put the plugs back in without having them fall out of the socket and into the engine compartment.

Although plugs may last for 100,000 miles the plug wires may not. If you do have a miss with a cylinder it is worth checking the Ohms of resistance for the cables.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Yeah. Way too soon to change the plugs.
HOWEVER. You can still buy your replacements.
16 plugs is gonna run into some dollars, so to ease the financial burden you may wish to start buying your chosen replacement plugs a few at a time until you have all 16.

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread