5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am due to replace spark plugs. What''s the best out there?

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Unless you are running forced induction or have a built engine, run the factory plugs.

As others have stated, do not worry about them until the 75k mark.

Dave08

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. This forum is really helpful. I decided to get platinum this time. I found this really nice article comparing different types of plugs. Here

Last edited:

Ilchik

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
Hi, is there any brand would you recommend? Thanks.
I see you've eventually chosen the platinum plugs, but I want to recommend upgrading to iridium plugs for users who will read this thread in the future.
Stock HEMI plugs are NKG's copper LZFR5CI-11 that run for about 30k miles. Platinum plugs run 60-80k and iridium is good for up to 100k miles, so it's better to use them instead of platinum ones. There is a good article on this topic, it also tells about ruthenium NGK LFR5AHX: Best Spark Plugs for 5.7 HEMI: How to Choose the Proper Ones
Seems like this material is better than iridium, does anyone have experience using it?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see you've eventually chosen the platinum plugs, but I want to recommend upgrading to iridium plugs for users who will read this thread in the future.
Stock HEMI plugs are NKG's copper LZFR5CI-11 that run for about 30k miles. Platinum plugs run 60-80k and iridium is good for up to 100k miles, so it's better to use them instead of platinum ones. There is a good article on this topic, it also tells about ruthenium NGK LFR5AHX: Best Spark Plugs for 5.7 HEMI: How to Choose the Proper Ones
Seems like this material is better than iridium, does anyone have experience using it?

Stock Hemi plugs used to be coppers; they are not on the 5th gens. If they were copper, they wouldn't last 100k or anywhere near it. Ever since the 2014 models (4th gens), at least, they've used iridium for the plugs in the 5.7s in the Ram 1500s.

The trick with the ruthenium vs iridium argument... If straight-up pure elements, iridium is toughest, with ruthenium being a little more conductive. However, according to many jewelers, platinum-iridium alloys are softer and not as hard as platinum-ruthenium alloys (assuming equal percentages of each). I bet the spark plug companies use alloys. This may also explain why ruthenium plugs are more expensive than iridium, despite ruthenium being cheaper. Platinum-ruthenium alloys are harder to work than platinum-iridium alloys.

Or the spark plug companies are marketing a cheaper metal as the new shiny toy that everyone should get, and charging more, raking in the dough. :ROFLMAO:

gpbst3

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. This forum is really helpful. I decided to get platinum this time. I found this really nice article comparing different types of plugs. Here
By the time you need new plugs there might be a better material. Like others said wait till your hit 70k then slowly start researching new plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online