5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypertech 3400 Speedometer Calibrator (Review and Final thoughts)

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone used the new Hypertech 3400 Speedometer Calibrator yet? I only saw a couple reviews for it on Amazon...and they were not good. The Hypertech support guys told me this is an updated version of theirs (and Rough Country's) older unit. They said the main difference is this one is in color and it is faster.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I received my Hypertech 3400 today and its off to a bad start. I am waiting for tech support response right now. So here are my initial impressions:

1. Someone said that you have to return it to stock if you take your vehicle in for service. THAT IS TRUE. Hypertech mentions it in every piece of paper that they include with it. That's a bummer.

2. It isn't built anywhere near as well as the Superchips Flashcal that I had for my Jeep. It is very lightweight and cheap feeling.

3. It doesn't work yet. It fails from the start at reading VIN. It will attempt to read the VIN for about 15 minutes then comes up with a "VIN READ ERROR". I downloaded their software tool and did the update (which passed); and it still doesn't work.

We'll see what their tech support response is; but honestly, I would just like to return it and get my money back right now. If it doesn't work from the start; what does that say about quality and reliability?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my final review: I just processed a return for this. After several hours, two emails to tech support, and three reloads of the software it still doesn't work. When I plug it into the truck, it goes to read the VIN and freezes up there. So basically, it does nothing. Maybe I could put in countless hours talking to tech support or have them send me another (although this one show no failures with their load and test tool) and I could get it to work. But, this thing is communicating with and writing to my ECU and I don't trust it now. I'm not willing to take a chance with it.

So, I called my Service Department to see if they are doing the calibration from the STAR case yet. They said they haven't done a RAM yet, but have done a couple of Jeeps. So, I'm probably going to be the first RAM they do.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, if anyone is interested. I have my truck at the Service Department today. I asked them to recalibrate for my tires (275/60R20). The cost was going to be $125. They just called me and said that they don't think they can do it because they can't go below 32.5 inches. Speed is off by 2 MPH at 50 and above. So, they are not going to do it because they are concerned that it won't work .

sirbojangles

Reaction score
I got hypertech off Amazon as well. i also had issues with it and returned it, ended up getting a tazor dt. Im happy with it, bright side you can do so much more with it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got hypertech off Amazon as well. i also had issues with it and returned it, ended up getting a tazor dt. Im happy with it, bright side you can do so much more with it.
So, does the Tazor DT have to stay connected; or does it push the programming then you can disconnect it?

sirbojangles

Reaction score
So, does the Tazor DT have to stay connected; or does it push the programming then you can disconnect it?
You can leave it in or disconnect it to my understanding you just loose some live features one of them being light show. I’ve just left mine in. But when I go to the dealer I unmarry it’s and disconnect it, if I remember correctly that it tells you to do.

Vilas15

Reaction score
So, if anyone is interested. I have my truck at the Service Department today. I asked them to recalibrate for my tires (275/60R20). The cost was going to be $125. They just called me and said that they don't think they can do it because they can't go below 32.5 inches. Speed is off by 2 MPH at 50 and above. So, they are not going to do it because they are concerned that it won't work .
My stock tires are 32". Id like to go to a 275/60R20 which is 33" so this is an issue for me. Are they saying they have an issue because the actual physical measured tire height is less than 32.5"? If i remember right the Star case had them measure the true tire height instead of using the theoretical size. I dont see how even inputting the minimum wouldn't make it more accurate. Like theres no way if they input 32.5 its off by more than 2 mph in the opposite direction right?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My stock tires are 32". Id like to go to a 275/60R20 which is 33" so this is an issue for me. Are they saying they have an issue because the actual physical measured tire height is less than 32.5"? If i remember right the Star case had them measure the true tire height instead of using the theoretical size. I dont see how even inputting the minimum wouldn't make it more accurate. Like theres no way if they input 32.5 its off by more than 2 mph in the opposite direction right?
Yes, the actual tire height measured less than 32.5" mounted and on the truck. They probably didn't want to risk having it still off a little even if they decided to enter the minimum. I at least respect the fact that they were upfront about it rather than just plugging in the lowest number they could.

Vilas15

Reaction score
Yes, the actual tire height measured less than 32.5" mounted and on the truck. They probably didn't want to risk having it still off a little even if they decided to enter the minimum. I at least respect the fact that they were upfront about it rather than just plugging in the lowest number they could.
Hmmm that throws a bit of a wrench in my plan to go up to that size. I wonder if a 285/60R20 would fit stock (33.5"). And no i dont want to install a hypertech or RC to adjust it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my Rough Country Calibrator today. It worked like a champ and my speed is dead on with GPS now. It seems like my shift points are back to normal as well. I'm very pleased. My 33" ties measured 32.125" on the truck, I calibrated for 32" because the calibrator only lets you select .25" increments.

mays9185

Reaction score
It has to have constant power while truck is off. Other wise it doesn't have enough power to work. Same with rough country so hope that helps.

sean707

Reaction score
I just put 35's on my truck and I purchased a rough country speedo calibrator.

Before I did the calibration, I checked the speedo with my phone GPS and it is dead on.... I called the tire shop and they said they didn't calibrate it. Has anyone had one automatically calibrate? is this even possible?

Users who are viewing this thread