5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane Fuel Octane

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
So your answer is yes?

Also, you are forgetting the fuel efficiency equation in this. The manual states for "best performance and fuel efficiency", premium is recommended over regular. Do we actually know what that improvement is?

Well in reality, we should be asking what is the loss in efficiency when using regular, because we know they likely used the recommend premium for whatever EPA test they do.

If using my own personal cost delta....87 at $4.89 vs 91 at $5.24, over a tank of fuel (294 miles).

Say I lose 1 mpg with regular (12 mpg vs 13 mpg) vs premium, I would save $1.32 using premium over regular over a tank of fuel. To be even more conservative, if I lose only 1/2 an mpg I would have spent $3.48 more for premium over almost 300 miles of range, while making more power. At least with my actual scenario, I'm not throwing away tons of money to make more power.

Yeah this was the justifying and delusion i was talking about per usual here... Your trying way to hard and getting way to deep into it. 99% of folks on here use their trucks as intended or daily drives. None of us will use it as "best performance" meaning its max power, nearly ever. It will be slim to none, and "fuel efficiency" were talking nearly nothing or all in your head. (like most of the stigmas on this forum) I will speak from experience with the hemi like the rest of us have though.. as ive tested it and why i usually shut down this topic with people i talk to b.c welp... ive done it both ways. i drive my truck from my house to my parents house out of state, from the stop i fill up a full tank outside of my city, to the gas station down the street from my parents house, my gas light literally turns on as im rolling in and thats with 87. I did it with 91 as well, want to guess the result? bingo. gas light turned on as im rolling into the gas station. SAME exact scenario when towing my boat and all the other crap in the truck, from my house to the river i go to. i fill up at the gas station down the street from my house and land at the gas station i stop at when getting to the river with exactly a quarter tank left with 87. want to guess what the level indicator is at with 91? you guessed it again, quarter tank. Thats keeping the same fuel avg obviously AND driving the same way with both octanes... since then i have always ran 87. No point in wasting money. i am positive the Hurricanes will be the exact same thing like @Mountain Whiskey is stating.

again i do not disagree if its at MAX power, sure, but thats not a reality for most owners.

just say its what YOU do or will do. That would be better.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah this was the justifying and delusion i was talking about per usual here... Your trying way to hard and getting way to deep into it. 99% of folks on here use their trucks as intended or daily drives. None of us will use it as "best performance" meaning its max power, nearly ever. It will be slim to none, and "fuel efficiency" were talking nearly nothing or all in your head. (like most of the stigmas on this forum) I will speak from experience with the hemi like the rest of us have though.. as ive tested it and why i usually shut down this topic with people i talk to b.c welp... ive done it both ways. i drive my truck from my house to my parents house out of state, from the stop i fill up a full tank outside of my city, to the gas station down the street from my parents house, my gas light literally turns on as im rolling in and thats with 87. I did it with 91 as well, want to guess the result? bingo. gas light turned on as im rolling into the gas station. SAME exact scenario when towing my boat and all the other crap in the truck, from my house to the river i go to. i fill up at the gas station down the street from my house and land at the gas station i stop at when getting to the river with exactly a quarter tank left with 87. want to guess what the level indicator is at with 91? you guessed it again, quarter tank. Thats keeping the same fuel avg obviously AND driving the same way with both octanes... since then i have always ran 87. No point in wasting money. i am positive the Hurricanes will be the exact same thing like @Mountain Whiskey is stating.

again i do not disagree if its at MAX power, sure, but thats not a reality for most owners.

just say its what YOU do or will do. That would be better

How is it delusional when it literally says in the manual for best fuel efficiency to use premium?

You're unwilling to even consider that fuel efficiency actually plays a role in the total cost scenario? Maybe the delusion is on your side here.

Also, I did give the scenario with zero improvement in fuel economy, did you read what I actually wrote at the end when I stated that in that case it actually probably is worth it if you're just cruising to use regular?

Just say its what I do.... where did I say I took a side on this, I was only arguing in my original post when someone stated it has zero benefit, it clearly has a benefit which you admitted in the above post, whether it's worth it to you is not my point.

Last edited:

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
How is it delusional when it literally says in the manual for best fuel efficiency to use premium?
We all know, the original post stated that to, as well as any other manual, obviously. And many others know it wont make a difference but, we are on a forum where people dont like hearing "dont need to go OEM" or "dont need to follow what manual says with oil/gas" or like to be wrong/told otherwise. The point was it wont make a difference for us and my statements made that clear as well. (and made it clear it will likely be the same with the Hurricane as mountain whiskey said)

You're unwilling to even consider that fuel efficiency actually plays a role in the total cost scenario?
I just proved that the efficiency is exactly the same as ive tested it and SEEN it with many other the years. Only difference is the price and hole your burning in your pocket... again... as mountain whiskey said likely with the hurricane as well.

I stated that in that case it actually probably is worth it if you're just cruising to use regular?
I proved that when i stated i towed as well. only times these specs are critacal is... again.... when using max power which we know... again.... is a very very small portion of the community.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
We all know, the original post stated that to, as well as any other manual, obviously. And many others know it wont make a difference but, we are on a forum where people dont like hearing "dont need to go OEM" or "dont need to follow what manual says with oil/gas" or like to be wrong/told otherwise. The point was it wont make a difference for us and my statements made that clear as well. (and made it clear it will likely be the same with the Hurricane as mountain whiskey said)

I just proved that the efficiency is exactly the same as ive tested it and SEEN it with others other the years. Only difference is the price and hole your burning in your pocket... again... as mountain whiskey said.

I proved that when i stated i towed as well. only times these specs are critacal is... again.... when using max power which we know... again.... is a very very small portion of the community.

Actually I pretty much agree with everything you said, again my main point is that it has a benefit, it's up to you and your scenario if it's worth it to you.

The fuel economy scenarios I put up are simply scenarios just to argue those possibilities, it may be different for other people maybe they do have a benefit for them or not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ECU is "tuned" to use either. Just a benefit with max performance which is hardly used in day to day driving. Of course if you think a slow, stock production pickup is "performance" well, then I am sure that there is a belief that tossing money in the burn barrel helps.
The ECU is not tuned to run on both. There is no octane sensor on these trucks. They are tuned to run what the recommended octane is in owners manual. The knock sensors allow use of lower octane by reducing timing when knock is detected, thereby reducing performance.

PetePA

Reaction score
So your answer is yes?

Also, you are forgetting the fuel efficiency equation in this. The manual states for "best performance and fuel efficiency", premium is recommended over regular. Do we actually know what that improvement is?

Well in reality, we should be asking what is the loss in efficiency when using regular, because we know they likely used the recommend premium for whatever EPA test they do.

If using my own personal cost delta....87 at $4.89 vs 91 at $5.24, over a tank of fuel (294 miles).

Say I lose 1 mpg with regular (12 mpg vs 13 mpg) vs premium, I would save $1.32 using premium over regular over a tank of fuel. To be even more conservative, if I lose only 1/2 an mpg I would have spent $3.48 more for premium over almost 300 miles of range, while making more power. At least with my actual scenario, I'm not throwing away tons of money to make more power.

Lets give you the most conservative scenario, zero gain or loss in mpg over a full tank. That would Be $7.92 more over the course of about 300 miles. I would definitely consider that amount of savings if I'm going to be cruising on the highway.
Agree and thanks for running some numbers. Was reading this thread hoping someone would!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
So your answer is yes?

Lets give you the most conservative scenario, zero gain or loss in mpg over a full tank. That would Be $7.92 more over the course of about 300 miles. I would definitely consider that amount of savings if I'm going to be cruising on the highway.
Put the pipe down and let the dream of milage fade. Reality will come.back again soon.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

just say its what YOU do or will do. That would be better.
Well said. (Better than my poop stirring way! 😄)

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The ECU is not tuned to run on both. There is no octane sensor on these trucks. They are tuned to run what the recommended octane is in owners manual. The knock sensors allow use of lower octane by reducing timing when knock is detected, thereby reducing performance.

Does Ram's Hurricane engine need premium gas?​

"The high-output Hurricane performs better with premium gasoline,” Killian explains. “But if you use regular 87 octane fuel, it would only be slightly noticeable to the person really maxing out that engine.”

Potatoe, potato, tomatoe tomaro. Runs well either way because sensors adjust the timing.

RAL

Reaction score
If the manual for the HO requires premium and you don’t use it, if there is a problem, however unlikely, related to fuel quality they could likely download the ignition data and give you a problem on the warranty. If the manual states recommended then you have more latitude and less concern. Point is that Chrysler shouldn’t be talking out of both sides of their mouth - the owner is being put in a bad position if the chief engineer is saying something different than the owners manual.

As everyone knows on the Hemi 5.7, 89 is recommended. The only time I use it is if I am loading the truck heavily, particularly in the summer heat. Otherwise I use 87 with no issues.

silver billet

Reaction score
So push the throttle an extra 32nd of an inch during normal driving and experience the same. Or flush an extra $30 bucks down the crapper each week. I am sure some like to do so.

Mother of mercy, the logic is weak with this lad. 🤦‍♂️

You heard it here guys, out of the horses own mouth. We can shut down the "engineers gear ratio" thread as us 3.21 guys were right all along.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Based on what the engineers said I'll use 89 around my area in the flatlands but 91 if pulling from Denver over the Continental Divide and 2 major 12,000' passes, even though at altitude you can actually get away with lower octane. I hammer to get around the semis on I-70 uphill. Entertaining and necessary.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Mother of mercy, the logic is weak with this lad. 🤦‍♂️

You heard it here guys, out of the horses own mouth. We can shut down the "engineers gear ratio" thread as us 3.21 guys were right all along.
It was shut down already.
Based on what the engineers said I'll use 89 around my area in the flatlands but 91 if pulling from Denver over the Continental Divide and 2 major 12,000' passes, even though at altitude you can actually get away with lower octane. I hammer to get around the semis on I-70 uphill. Entertaining and necessary.
Huh. Based on what the rep from Stellantis says, you will waste your money on mid and higher octane? Do it. Since you are into it, please donate a fraction of that cost, $2 or so to the Mountain Whiskey barrel fund. Aging barrels are expensive these days.

lonepeak

Reaction score
It was shut down already.

Huh. Based on what the rep from Stellantis says, you will waste your money on mid and higher octane? Do it. Since you are into it, please donate a fraction of that cost, $2 or so to the Mountain Whiskey barrel fund. Aging barrels are expensive these days.
Based on what Stellantis engineer says for the HO, 91 preferable 89 acceptable. If I pulling trailer or going from 4500' to 12,000' I'll use 91.

dcchris311

Reaction score
Do octane boosters even work? I’ve always thought it to be a gimmick.

Some do work at increasing octane ever so slightly but the $30+ boosters do work. Those will turn 93oct to 97-101 octance depending on how concentrated it is in your fuel. Honestly it's okay for a fun day at the track/strip or a nice joy ride but at that point just do a E20 blend. That'll safer than the $30 can which fouls the spark plugs.

dcchris311

Reaction score
This is the $30 booster that works but will foul your plugs. My octane rating is off but also depends on how concentrated it is in your tank.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Not that I want to use it but where do you find E20? Only E15 where I live and I stick with E10 or non ethanol at least for small yard engines.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I've always found it interesting how someone people fill up with 87oct and follow it up with a $14 octane booster.
Do octane boosters even work? I’ve always thought it to be a gimmick.
There are only a couple of expensive octane boosters that do enough to actually be beneficial. The stuff you are buying off the shelf at Walmart, or part stores, are a waste of money. If you can't just pump in the correct octane, adding a bottle of that crap isn't going to save your engine, and costs more than higher octane fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread