5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane Fuel Octane

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Which version SO or HO ?
Both. But I am sure that many will pretend they use the truck on the track daily so they run WOT at all times and require the extra expense of premium gas.

Does Ram's Hurricane engine need premium gas?​

"The high-output Hurricane performs better with premium gasoline,” Killian explains. “But if you use regular 87 octane fuel, it would only be slightly noticeable to the person really maxing out that engine.”

Doug Killian from Stellantis.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Both. But I am sure that many will pretend they use the truck on the track daily so they run WOT at all times and require the extra expense of premium gas.

Does Ram's Hurricane engine need premium gas?​

"The high-output Hurricane performs better with premium gasoline,” Killian explains. “But if you use regular 87 octane fuel, it would only be slightly noticeable to the person really maxing out that engine.”

Doug Killian from Stellantis.
Thank you, they sure screwed up the clarifications on that even the owners manual on the HO equipped trucks says premium is required. But I was secretly going to try 87 anyway. I am old enough to know what is marketed is not necessarily the whole truth.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I wanted to be the first of hundreds of these threads that are soon to come.....

The engine runs fine on 87 octane gas and you are tossing money in the burn pit to run premium......
View attachment 182072
This is the truth i like to hear on this site without anyone's feelings getting hurt. Cant wait for the justifications, delusions, or "peace of mind" comments! Cheers mate!🍻

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I wanted to be the first of hundreds of these threads that are soon to come.....

The engine runs fine on 87 octane gas and you are tossing money in the burn pit to run premium......
View attachment 182072

I agree with you that it should run fine on 87 if that's your choice, but is it a waste of money if the manufacturer actually states that best performance and fuel economy is achieved with premium?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I agree with you that it should run fine on 87 if that's your choice, but is it a waste of money if the manufacturer actually states that best performance and fuel economy is achieved with premium?

why would it be a waste of money? just curious.
How much of the time do you use your truck to it's maximum performance? 10 seconds in every 20 tanks? Probably less. A dollar a gallon more to sit in traffic =waste. Same as with the 5.7 Hemi...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How much of the time do you use your truck to it's maximum performance? 10 seconds in every 20 tanks? Probably less. A dollar a gallon more to sit in traffic =waste. Same as with the 5.7 Hemi...

Premium is 30 - 40 cents per gallon more in my neck of the woods historically vs 87.

But sure, if I wanted to go on a long trip cruising, 87 it is. But towing, 91 it is. My point is, how is it it a waste of money if it gives benefits, how you use it is different for everyone.

I would agree it's a waste of money if you got zero benefits for your 91 octane, where it's only in your mind. But if the ECU is tuned for it, then it has a benefit right?

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score

Its not that simple.
Higher octane allows more timing to be added at part throttle and low RPMs in addition to WOT. It also allows for more boost at those same points so it's far more than just WOT.
Same applies to an NA engine as well save for the boost.

Both of these combined allow for more power at a lower RPM saving fuel.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Its not that simple.
Higher octane allows more timing to be added at part throttle and low RPMs in addition to WOT. It also allows for more boost at those same points so it's far more than just WOT.
Same applies to an NA engine as well save for the boost.

Both of these combined allow for more power at a lower RPM saving fuel.
So push the throttle an extra 32nd of an inch during normal driving and experience the same. Or flush an extra $30 bucks down the crapper each week. I am sure some like to do so.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Premium is 30 - 40 cents per gallon more in my neck of the woods historically vs 87.

But sure, if I wanted to go on a long trip cruising, 87 it is. But towing, 91 it is. My point is, how is it it a waste of money if it gives benefits, how you use it is different for everyone.

I would agree it's a waste of money if you got zero benefits for your 91 octane, where it's only in your mind. But if the ECU is tuned for it, then it has a benefit right?
The ECU is "tuned" to use either. Just a benefit with max performance which is hardly used in day to day driving. Of course if you think a slow, stock production pickup is "performance" well, then I am sure that there is a belief that tossing money in the burn barrel helps.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The ECU is "tuned" to use either. Just a benefit with max performance which is hardly used in day to day driving. Of course if you think a slow, stock production pickup is "performance" well, then I am sure that there is a belief that tossing money in the burn barrel helps.

So your answer is yes?

Also, you are forgetting the fuel efficiency equation in this. The manual states for "best performance and fuel efficiency", premium is recommended over regular. Do we actually know what that improvement is?

Well in reality, we should be asking what is the loss in efficiency when using regular, because we know they likely used the recommend premium for whatever EPA test they do.

If using my own personal cost delta....87 at $4.89 vs 91 at $5.24, over a tank of fuel (294 miles).

Say I lose 1 mpg with regular (12 mpg vs 13 mpg) vs premium, I would save $1.32 using premium over regular over a tank of fuel. To be even more conservative, if I lose only 1/2 an mpg I would have spent $3.48 more for premium over almost 300 miles of range, while making more power. At least with my actual scenario, I'm not throwing away tons of money to make more power.

Lets give you the most conservative scenario, zero gain or loss in mpg over a full tank. That would Be $7.92 more over the course of about 300 miles. I would definitely consider that amount of savings if I'm going to be cruising on the highway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread