5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Human Nature

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why is it that we have a thread dedicated to how cheaply everyone bought their truck, but then when anyone has a problem they quote the sticker price, or higher?
I've seen a lot of gripes stating $60K, $65K, even $70K trucks shouldn't have an issue, but I don't recall anyone paying even $60K for it? I get human nature and all but I confess I find this amusing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is very much human nature, along with a few other noticeable quirks.

Seems like worry is a big one here lately. Rightfully so, considering!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's because the manufacturer suggests these trucks are worth that much, but doesn't deliver the value for the perceived/intended price.

You'll always say you got the expensive truck for a great deal... but it's still an expensive truck. Nobody pays MSRP.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if i pay 30k for something i would think it wouldn't have issues immediately if that helps you think about it better.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's because the manufacturer suggests these trucks are worth that much, but doesn't deliver the value for the perceived/intended price.

You'll always say you got the expensive truck for a great deal... but it's still an expensive truck. Nobody pays MSRP.

Yeah I agree with this. It is because the MSRP is the stated value. People aren't posting how cheap they bought something, they are posting how great of a deal they got versus the stated, and thus perceived value.

No different than if you bought a premium bottle of wine/scotch. If it is supposed to be a bottle worth 150 dollars, and I buy it at 70 dollars, I of course will be very pleased if it tastes like a 150 bottle. On the other hand, if it tastes like 2 buck chuck, I"ll rightfully scoff that I can't believe this supposedly 150 dollar value wine performs like a cheapo headache in a glass.

With that said, I'm happy with mine. But I don't fault people a bit for referencing the price tag of something when it fails to meet the standards inferred by the stated value of the product.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if i pay 30k for something i would think it wouldn't have issues immediately if that helps you think about it better.
But if you paid $10k for that $30k item, would you be as upset? Of course, but you would view it as $30k item regardless, even though you got a deal.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The early adaptors paid more, and tend to have more issues. That is the nature of new products. The current discounts and incentives are greater than back on May 5 when I placed my order. The MSRP of the truck has also gone slightly. Mine is a $50000 truck (with tax), and I think its worth it. Most of the early members anticipated new model issues.

Those who ordered trucks in March paid even more than I did in March. By the time mine was delivered, prices had gone down another $3000. With dickering and incentives mine was $7000 off.

When I bought my 2012 Gen 4, the last year before the mid-model refresh, I bought a tried and true platform, which never saw any issues. As the Gen 5 progresses, it will become more reliable and the prices might (possibly) even go down a little more.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of human nature, and guilty, it occurred to me today that I don't even read the threads about ordering, order status, or tracking anymore and I used to live on those. Seems like after mine got delivered I hung around until those in my "pledge class" got theirs and then moved on.
Those threads are now full of posts from younger pledges and I'm at a different stage of life/ownership.

Just pondering.

Cannonball

Reaction score
MSRP is a farce anyways.

Farce - noun: a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations.

That's literally how I imagine big business clowns in a room throwing random ridiculous numbers around to come up with MSRP.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Speaking of human nature, and guilty, it occurred to me today that I don't even read the threads about ordering, order status, or tracking anymore and I used to live on those. Seems like after mine got delivered I hung around until those in my "pledge class" got theirs and then moved on.
Those threads are now full of posts from younger pledges and I'm at a different stage of life/ownership.

Just pondering.
same here.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MSRP is a farce anyways.

Farce - noun: a comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations.

That's literally how I imagine big business clowns in a room throwing random ridiculous numbers around to come up with MSRP.

You obviously don't work in retail or manufacturing.

Car dealers work on some of the smallest profit margins of retail businesses. Parts and service keep them alive.

Beat up a dealer so they make "nothing" on a $60,000 unit then go out and spend $8.00 for a Starbuck coffee that costs less than $0.30 to make.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just pondering.
same here been there done that

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suppose another aspect of human nature is to purchase something (almost) totally brand new in design from any auto manufacturer and expect that it would be bug and problem free.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 005138 miles.

Cannonball

Reaction score
You obviously don't work in retail or manufacturing.

Car dealers work on some of the smallest profit margins of retail businesses. Parts and service keep them alive.

Beat up a dealer so they make "nothing" on a $60,000 unit then go out and spend $8.00 for a Starbuck coffee that costs less than $0.30 to make.

FCA Q2 2018 Profit:
" second-quarter earnings climbed 39 percent — and that for the first time, the company had reached his longtime goal of more cash than debt.

The company said Wednesday its net profit grew to $882 million "
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/829879002

No beef with you bro just saying I'm not concerned with paying as little as possible for a new truck. Without the dealerships, FCA without exist.

I'm sure they're fine. But I'm not in car manufacturing or sales so I honestly don't know

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA Q2 2018 Profit:
" second-quarter earnings climbed 39 percent — and that for the first time, the company had reached his longtime goal of more cash than debt.

The company said Wednesday its net profit grew to $882 million "
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/829879002

No beef with you bro just saying I'm not concerned with paying as little as possible for a new truck. Without the dealerships, FCA without exist.

I'm sure they're fine. But I'm not in car manufacturing or sales so I honestly don't know

I spent a number of years in automotive manufacturing (the company that actually built the Mustang convertibles when they were reintroduced and the Hurst/Olds among other cars) then in dealerships. MSRP really has nothing to do with the manufacturer profit. No matter what you pay the manufacturer makes the same amount. The manufacturer has been paid by the dealership as soon as it arrives on the lot. These prices have to cover development, testing, tooling, advertising, warranties and on and on. Then, why they are making these huge investments in land, buildings, people and all? To hopefully make a profit, which in my mind isn't a 4 letter word.

RT70808

Reaction score
MSRP is a farce anyways.

I am in the tech industry and witness these over inflated MSRP / List prices all day everyday. Most of our customers pay anywhere from 40-60% off list. I believe the over inflated list prices are a high mark, and things sell for market value. “Your new server is only $12,000, and that’s 50% off list” makes you feel like you got a deal. When I bought my limited, I told my salesman let’s talk real price. My sticker was 62k, and we negotiated down to 53k. Throw in TTL Etc... So full circle here, I do expect a lot out of a $55,000 truck! My wife’s 370z cost us 10k less and has had ... wait for it.... ZERO issues.

cjfioren

Reaction score
I get annoyed that I got mine for 49000 and it seems like everyone else got the same truck for 43000

Users who are viewing this thread