5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hud reset

Shonuff1977

Reaction score
Just took delivery of 2021 limited and I am having issues with the HUD. No matter what I try it will not adjust up or down. Is there anyway to reset it?

As it is the hud is useless as I basically have to put my eyes level with the top of the steering wheel to see it.

Probably going to take the truck back to the dealer to address the issue but wanted to see if there was a simple fix here first.

Thanks in advance.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes. No matter what I set the hud height to it does not move
Understood...a trip to the dealer is your only option. It may be a bad unit that needs to be replaced. Mine has worked flawlessly and I tested everything before I left the dealer. Since the HUD is so new, and I've only had my truck for 3 weeks, I wish I could be more help. Very curious to hear what you find out and what the fix is. Is the brightness working?

Shonuff1977

Reaction score
Brightness is working. I tested mine before leaving the dealer too and it was flagged as an issue. Will post once I have a solution.

BNeal

Reaction score
Sounds like something broke - off to the dealer. But I will say, the HUD doesn't have enough adjustment for tall people. I have mine set as low as it will go, and I still can't sit up perfectly straight or the speed gets clipped at the top. I did find a scene with a shorter font that helped, but still not what it should be.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like something broke - off to the dealer. But I will say, the HUD doesn't have enough adjustment for tall people. I have mine set as low as it will go, and I still can't sit up perfectly straight or the speed gets clipped at the top. I did find a scene with a shorter font that helped, but still not what it should be.
Curious...when you changed to a shorter font...can you elaborate some more or was it just one of the available standard options and the font just came with that option?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Understood...a trip to the dealer is your only option. It may be a bad unit that needs to be replaced. Mine has worked flawlessly and I tested everything before I left the dealer. Since the HUD is so new, and I've only had my truck for 3 weeks, I wish I could be more help. Very curious to hear what you find out and what the fix is. Is the brightness working?
@securityguy
How does it work with polarized sunglasses? I had an X5 with HUD a few years back, but it did not work with them. Hoping the tech has advanced since then. It was pretty useless to me during the day since polarized glasses is all I wear.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@securityguy
How does it work with polarized sunglasses? I had an X5 with HUD a few years back, but it did not work with them. Hoping the tech has advanced since then. It was pretty useless to me during the day since polarized glasses is all I wear.
Actually don't know my friend...let me go out to the truck and put my sunglasses on...be right back!

Rayrayrebel

Reaction score
Mine is useless with polarized glasses on, plus I have discovered that I have a Pavlov instinct to look down at the speedo even though I don't have to. The more i drive mine, (had it since Black Friday) there is a small white orb reflecting near the display and i can eliminate it by moving my head, but cannot figure out what is causing it.

Shonuff1977

Reaction score
Update - something is wonky. A few days ago the hud completely stopped working. Then last night it came on and worked fine. Could adjust it and everything. That is until this afternoon, when it cut out again and wouldnt turn on.

leaving it with the dealer on Monday. Hopefully they can sort it out.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update - something is wonky. A few days ago the hud completely stopped working. Then last night it came on and worked fine. Could adjust it and everything. That is until this afternoon, when it cut out again and wouldnt turn on.

leaving it with the dealer on Monday. Hopefully they can sort it out.
Sounds like either a bad unit or a bad connection. Shouldn't be that hard to resolve. Keep us posted!

Shonuff1977

Reaction score
Just quick update. Finally got my truck into the shop. They spent the morning diagnosing the issue and ultimately concluded that the whole HUD module needs to be replaced. Which means they have to take the whole dash apart. UGH. Hopefully they don't mess anything else up while taking the truck apart.

Shonuff1977

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Hud unit was replaced and is now working just fine.
Now I just have to figure out why my electronic locking rear axle turned on and off 3-4x today - by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread