5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hubcentric rings with aftermarket wheels?

rtpassini

Reaction score
I bought some aftermarket rims. I couldn't quite get my caliper gauge in there, but the wheel opening is about 106 mm. The ram hub center is 83 mm. I can't seem to find any hubcentric rings to fit. Thoughts? Necessary?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hubs and wheels are machined to precise dimensions for good reason. Of course they are necessary. Get accurate measurements and track down the right size or get someone to make you a custom set.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just google it. I never seen the rings before. I have ran aftermarket wheels on car before, but never heard of these rings. Dose everyone runs these with aftermarket wheels?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just google it. I never seen the rings before. I have ran aftermarket wheels on car before, but never heard of these rings. Dose everyone runs these with aftermarket wheels?
Every time I've bought wheels from Discount Tire (4 times now) they give me a set of rings with them. I've never bought them separately.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never run them before with aftermarket wheels and I've never had a problem with vibration.

Now that I'm doing my own tire rotations, they do make it easier for a guy like me with a bad back to get the wheel back on the hub and get the lug nuts started... actually, a lot easier.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder when I order my wheels from custom offsets they will come with.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are the reasons of the rings?
Most people do not understand that almost all OEM rims and lug nuts are lug centric, including the Ram. Rings were used back in the days of Cragar style multifit slotted lug stud holes to fit different bolt circle sizes. With the Ram being lug centric, the lug nut taper centers the wheel. There is no need for hub rings unless you are using slotted rims and flat lug nuts and washers. The clamping force holds the wheel securely concentric in all driving situations.

Different lug styles:

1653304172714.png

Acceptable installation, look close, the hub is flat black, the wheel ends with gloss black. The Silverado also comes OEM with tapered lug nuts:

1653304384700.png

397STROKER

Reaction score
Bt10 is correct. The rings are common on on rims that fit more than on size lug pattern and were very common on bolt-on rims vs studs to make it easy to hold the rim centered to align the bolts.

rtpassini

Reaction score
Most people do not understand that almost all OEM rims and lug nuts are lug centric, including the Ram. Rings were used back in the days of Cragar style multifit slotted lug stud holes to fit different bolt circle sizes. With the Ram being lug centric, the lug nut taper centers the wheel. There is no need for hub rings unless you are using slotted rims and flat lug nuts and washers. The clamping force holds the wheel securely concentric in all driving situations.

Different lug styles:

View attachment 130193

Acceptable installation, look close, the hub is flat black, the wheel ends with gloss black. The Silverado also comes OEM with tapered lug nuts:

View attachment 130194
This was my thoughts. The lugnuts, being conical seat will take care of it. and center them. Ive never needed to use them in the past due to fitting on the hub, or the lug nuts. As you stated, I've had a set of old school cragar (those things freak me out. haha) and needed the special washers. My kids hyundai needed rings, but the lugnuts were flat faced.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they needed? Not if you have tapered lug nuts. Is it another check on the peace of mind list for something that directly affects the safety and reliability of your vehicle? Yes. I'd rather have the wheel sitting on the hub ring and anchored with the studs/lugs than the entire weight on the studs/lugs.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Different lug styles:

View attachment 130193

View attachment 130194
That's not right. The OEM Ram wheels are hub centric as are most OEM wheels.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not right. The OEM Ram wheels are hub centric as are most OEM wheels.
That's not right. The OEM Ram wheels are lug centric as are most OEM wheels.

I would agree that most manufacturers size their OEM wheels close to hub size, but you can check your lug nuts to confirm.

TVANVA

Reaction score
I've had some recent problems with Hub Rings.

My after-market HELO rims have 106mm wheel openings. I bought some 106mm to 78mm hub rings.

The wheel hubs have slight indents machined into them between the 78mm hub and the lugs.

It looks like the hub ring manufacturer attempted to fill this indent with a spacer (possibly to make the hub rig stronger?), but made it too thick.

The result was that the hub ring acted as a small wheel spacer, actually holding the rim away from the wheel hub.

When my dealership rotated the tires during routine maintenance, and torqued the lugs down super tight with an impact wrench, the hub ring splintered around the edge. Those shards now sat between the wheel hub and the rim and caused significant runout, so much that the truck shook at certain speeds.

I took the hub rings off and threw them away. Now the ride is back to normal.

I'm letting the tapers on the lugs hold the rims centered and it seems to work fine.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Different lug styles:

View attachment 130193

View attachment 130194
Disinformation warning!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had some recent problems with Hub Rings.

My after-market HELO rims have 106mm wheel openings. I bought some 106mm to 78mm hub rings.

The wheel hubs have slight indents machined into them between the 78mm hub and the lugs.

It looks like the hub ring manufacturer attempted to fill this indent with a spacer (possibly to make the hub rig stronger?), but made it too thick.

The result was that the hub ring acted as a small wheel spacer, actually holding the rim away from the wheel hub.

When my dealership rotated the tires during routine maintenance, and torqued the lugs down super tight with an impact wrench, the hub ring splintered around the edge. Those shards now sat between the wheel hub and the rim and caused significant runout, so much that the truck shook at certain speeds.

I took the hub rings off and threw them away. Now the ride is back to normal.

I'm letting the tapers on the lugs hold the rims centered and it seems to work fine.
That all sounds a bit strange. Wheels usually have a chamfer in the back side of the hub hole and centering rings may have a little shoulder to fit into the chamfer and prevent the ring from migrating away from the hub. If you put such rings in backwards it can make a mess similar to what you describe. Whether mis-design or mis-assembly, it sounds like someone did something wrong.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought some aftermarket rims. I couldn't quite get my caliper gauge in there, but the wheel opening is about 106 mm. The ram hub center is 83 mm. I can't seem to find any hubcentric rings to fit. Thoughts? Necessary?
I believe the stock hub is 77.8. I’m running at 78.1, not enough to even warrant a ring. No issues at all.
But if the difference was a lot more, would I install rings? Most definitely. Just that much more peace of mind, if anything. Doesn’t hurt any more than without it, and I can feel confident everything remains all good. Good luck👍

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Different lug styles:

View attachment 130193

View attachment 130194

The wheels are lug centric AND hub centric. And acorn lugs are what’s used on almost all vehicles now days. The aftermarket lugs are also acorn just a different profile.

The rings help center the wheel as well as more load distribution.

My vossens came with machined rings. Other wheels came with polymer rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread