5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you go about Blacking out a Limited? Purchase a new front grille, wrap it instead, etc??

porcelliman

Reaction score
The mirror caps replace the chrome piece and is a factory piece. Find the color you want and buy it. First search the forum for the long thread describing how it’s done, or pay a shop. The caps are about $70 plus you’ll need a suction cup for $5 and a hair dryer or heat gun to get the mirror off.
I’d find a black edition Limited VIN and lookup the grill part number and buy it. You’ll pay a lot for it. If they’re even in stock.
Thanks for the advice. I went and looked for the mirror caps but I cant find my specific ones. My mirrors have the turn signal light ath the top corner versus the strip. I was also able to find the top grille piece, however, I cant find the four small pieces that fit around the headlights. The search continues.

porcelliman

Reaction score
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for and i just placed the order. Any idea how i find the pieces above and below the grille that go around the headlights? From what I saw it says it's for the Ram "Sports" model, but im not sure if that means it would fit or not since it doesnt show if it corresponds with the Ram Limited edition. Thanks so much.
Ok, so i THOUGHT that's "exactly what i was looking for". I just ordered that grille off of ebay, it said it would fit my 2019 ram limited, but as soon as I saw it i knew it wouldnt fit. The Ram Limited edition's factory grille extends slightly under the headlights on both sides. The new "blackout" grille referenced above does not extend under the headlights. When i attempted to put the new blackout grille on, it fit but there are gaps under the headlights. So infuriating. I have YET to see a black grille that will fit the limited edition. I didnt want to dip or wrap it, I cant get it painted, so im out of options here and it looks like i either deal with the chrome or just have it dipped/taped every couple of years. UGH.

jeep12joe

Reaction score
View attachment 137683
Here are a bunch of part numbers. I had my dealer put together a list of part numbers for Limited Night Edition parts a while back.

From last 4 80AD to 85AG are crew cab window trim pieces, black. 12 total between left and right side.

Applique grille is the piece between the grille and hood

Radiator grille is the main grille, with surround view camera.

Limited has a separate piece below the headlights too. I don't have a part number for those.

Mirror caps might be universal for Limiteds. I had them get numbers for Limited Level 1, but the surround cameras aren't part of the mirror cap so I'd think they would work with any Limited.

There are a couple misc emblems in the list too. Can't remember what exactly. The badges on the hood, doors, and tailgate are easy to find. I was mainly concerned with getting the window trim and grille numbers since none of the parts websites have a clear description of color it seems.

I plastidiped my grille, window trim, and mirror caps. It's already rock chipped after 2 months. I'm going to order the black trim and be done with it. Otherwise I replaced all the badges with OEM black.

I don't know how to get the door handle inset pieces. I wrapped them with 3M 2080. We'll see how long that lasts.

This was huge for me, thank you for posting it. I just ordered all 12 of the window trim parts, which is something I have been wanting to do for a while. For those unfamiliar, I used allmoparparts.com. My total, with shipping, was about $160 less than what it adds up to from the picture you posted.

TheSasquatch

Reaction score
Howdy All,
I'm hoping this thread has generated interest by more than just a few over the past couple of years so that more people can provide input on the "best" place to get the Night Edition parts to swap out the chrome!
I just bought a '23 Limited EcoDiesel with the Elite Package (quilted SeaSalt interior). This package does NOT allow for the Night Edition package simultaneously. So I'm on a journey to "Night Edition my chrome". I've got a '19 Limited that I did it all manually to about 4 years ago and had to wrap my grille. It has lasted "ok" but the wrap was a pain and expensive and hasn't "held up" all too well.
I'm hoping everyone who's figured this stuff out sees this thread and can provide any input / tips on where to order the parts from that's maybe better prices as well as where you've found the Night edition grille and the (4) small grille pieces that fit beneath the headlights, etc.
The last time I did this, I just ordered the mirror caps, door handles, and window / door trim from a Laramie as it was the same and it turned-out great. But I understand that the mirrors might have the blinkers in a different location on the Limited now?
Anyway, any input will help save a ton of time (and maybe money?) so I'd love any input!
Thank in advance fellas.
Jason
SLC, UT

kilogRAM

Reaction score
can anyone tell me the name of the trim piece above the headlights. i found the black grill, applique and mirror cap.
2020 laramie

kilogRAM

Reaction score
Not sure how long the vinyl will last which is why I swapped my chrome grill and header appliqué for black/color matched.

If you have patience grill replacement is worth it. You can see my thread. The most painful part is removing the plastic fascia below the headlights. They are held in tightly by clips so takes some patient maneuvering and muscle.

Since you have the limited, you will have an issue with the trim piece below the headlights that are unique to Limited. See different grills below. Part #6.

The grills comprise 4 pieces that snap together with some screws as well. The trick though is releasing all the clips since they snap really right and lock in. So you could try to disassemble and use the pieces you need. Having assembled a grill, I can tell you it won’t be easy to disassemble. But I’m sure it can be done with lots of patience.

View attachment 7871
Thank you for the info. do you know the name of the trim piece that goes above the headlights. is that part #6 in the diagram?

Users who are viewing this thread