5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well do the painted front bumpers hold up?

DesertRat

Reaction score
I found a used '20 Sport with the painted front bumper but I am concerned how susceptible these are to rock chips and road debris since I live in AZ. I might be able to have a clear bra put on it, but that isn't cheap and doesn't really protect from rocks and harder hits.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I would strongly recommend a clear bra from a good tint shop. It'll cost you about 500 to do it but it will definitely protect that paint on the bumper. I have done it myself to protect my bumper.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three things are guaranteed in life: death, taxes, and painted bumpers will chip. There is no way around it. I had <50 miles on my truck before I had PPF (paint protection film) installed on the whole front end and first 18" of the hood. Not a chip since. I consider PPF part of the cost of going painted bumpers.

On top of that, good PPF is self healing. I was pulling into a diagonal striped parking garage and hit the concrete wall with my bumper. After I cursed myself and the front camera angle, I got out and looked and you could see the scuff in the PPF, but not a scratch on the paint. That paid for the PPF right there. And a few weeks later and you have to know where the scuff was. It self-healed to the point you basically can't even see it.

Users who are viewing this thread