5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

AzRoute66

Reaction score
I just picked up my Bighorn Backcountry yesterday. Since I don't have 'passive entry', my keyfob only has three buttons: unlock, lock, and panic -- am I subject to the 'relay attack'? Those functions don't seem to need the constant broadcasting by the fob. Do Faraday boxes for storage and Faraday pouches for walking around even apply/help me in any way?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up my Bighorn Backcountry yesterday. Since I don't have 'passive entry', my keyfob only has three buttons: unlock, lock, and panic -- am I subject to the 'relay attack'? Those functions don't seem to need the constant broadcasting by the fob. Do Faraday boxes for storage and Faraday pouches for walking around even apply/help me in any way?
I keep the key in a faraday bag, they work. but you have to make sure there is no leakage which i did.
However if someone gets in they can hook up a computer to the obd2 port and program another key
then it don't matter they have a key

mffdvr

Reaction score
Parking outside for the first time in a year. Kitchen and main floor remodel has the garage full of new hard wood floors, cabinets and appliances at the moment. I woke up on the hour last night to check on vehicle(s) well-being. I hate it...😫

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Parking outside for the first time in a year. Kitchen and main floor remodel has the garage full of new hard wood floors, cabinets and appliances at the moment. I woke up on the hour last night to check on vehicle(s) well-being. I hate it...😫
get a ravelco anti theft device.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man, I feel for you. I would hate to have to live in the ghetto. I understand though. You can't just uproot your life and move sometimes just because of the bad neighborhood. Watch for the Crack Hoes, they will set up to pull tricks anywhere.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you have the push button start it's still the same thing.

mffdvr

Reaction score
Man, I feel for you. I would hate to have to live in the ghetto. I understand though. You can't just uproot your life and move sometimes just because of the bad neighborhood. Watch for the Crack Hoes, they will set up to pull tricks anywhere.
LOL - It's not a bad neighborhood, even though some sketchy vehicle break-ins happen from time to time (happens no matter where you live anymore, really). I'm just hyper anal about **** - OCD in way perhaps. It's a personal problem that I've acknowledged :ROFLMAO: , but I can't shake it. I just prefer to deal with it and ***** about life and waking-up on the hour on internet forums LOL. I'm certainly got going to complain to my wife. Hell...that'd result in much worse mental trauma I'm sure.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if I mentioned it before, but it’s much easier and more likely that someone will use a tow truck to steal it rather than taking the time and effort to clone a key/remote in/etc. There’s not much you can do outside of physically blocking in the truck to prevent it from being dragged onto a tow bed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not that it sits outside often, but had a driveway camera added on to your security system tonight. Only reason truck was in driveway in this screen shot of the video was because they were still finishing up the install and needed to be above garage door where truck parks in garage. 4k video with analytic detection, deterent alerts if someone is in driveway longer than 10 seconds, and ability for two way communication through camera using app on phone
Screenshot_20220603-212101.png

mophead

Reaction score
Not that it sits outside often, but had a driveway camera added on to your security system tonight. Only reason truck was in driveway in this screen shot of the video was because they were still finishing up the install and needed to be above garage door where truck parks in garage. 4k video with analytic detection, deterent alerts if someone is in driveway longer than 10 seconds, and ability for two way communication through camera using app on phone
View attachment 131246
The pano is in jeopardy :unsure:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Did they film the show Weeds in that neighborhood? That is a clean, neat cookie cutter looking street!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did they film the show Weeds in that neighborhood? That is a clean, neat cookie cutter looking street!
Nothing cookie cutter in this part of the neighborhood. All custom builds. We are second owners of our house, but you bought the lot, then chose the builder for the house and the floorplan yourself when they were first built. Mine is a two story but next door neighbor has a ranch, and neighbor across street is a ranch as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like a clean well maintained neighborhood.
Definitely is. But calling it "cookie cutter" isn't accurate. It's newer with the houses started getting built in 2014. Ours was built with pretty much most of the upgrades. French door for front and rear of house. 4-car garage. Hardwood floors on main level. All Viking brand applicances. Premium carpet on stairs and in bedrooms. Huge walk in pantry, and closet in master bedroom. Jacuzzi tub in master bath.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Definitely is. But calling it "cookie cutter" isn't accurate. It's newer with the houses started getting built in 2014. Ours was built with pretty much most of the upgrades. French door for front and rear of house. 4-car garage. Hardwood floors on main level. All Viking brand applicances. Premium carpet on stairs and in bedrooms. Huge walk in pantry, and closet in master bedroom. Jacuzzi tub in master bath.
I understand. It just looked kind of that way with all the nice lots. The camera lense does not do it justice. No offense meant. Having a home custom built the way you wish is great. I just have a little prefab rambler back in the woods.

I worked for a nation wide builder that built cookie cutter neighbors of high end production homes of around $1m each. They were expensive but still just panelized homes with different options. Usually golf course communities.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
09D289E9-4541-4E49-900F-90A203EA77E0.gif

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
copied from the trx forum
"Hello from Ravelco Midwest! It has been suggested by several TRX owners that we enter the forums and let them know we are here. My family is happy to announce that we have brought the famous Ravelco device to the states of Kansas and Missouri. We are vehicle enthusiasts and have also seen the unfortunate side of being a victim of theft just over a year ago. We have strived to try and do our best to keep others from being victims of the same. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out."

ravelcomidwest.com

in case anyone wants to know

Jay905

Reaction score
So i’ve been reading all the replies to my original post and thanks to everyone you chimed in. Lots of good suggestions. I am leaning towards the IGLA anti-theft device, though A) I’m not sure when I’d be able to get one since they’re coming from Russia and B) they’re Russian made so not exactly sure I trust them….

But anyways, I wanted to let everyone on the forum know that thieves (aka a$$holes) tried to steal my 2022 Limited on Friday. Yeah, Happy Canada day…. Emphasis on tried.

One of the things I researched after my 2021 Sport was stolen was how these a$$holes are stealing F150’s, Lexus’, Rams, and other vehicles. Some are using keyfob clones, or extenders so they pickup its signal from inside the house and relay it to another person at the vehicle.

I had my FOBs in a faraday box, so that didn’t work for them. They did punch/break the window and managed to pop the lock which tripped the anti-theft. Which made me wonder WHY the truck’s horn didn’t honk.

This is why….

B847E5C4-9458-488A-9BA2-F7CCF0CA92E1.jpeg

They use a tool or coat hanger or something through the grill and yank out the pins from the connector. They do this first so … YOU HAVE NO HORN and it gives them time to mess with the truck silently.

So, they disabled the horn broke the window and got in the truck. They should have been able to steal the truck by plugging one of those tablet/computers into the OBD port. Except, I relocated it, and locked it up. They pulled out the connectors from the SGW and managed to do something to the truck because they wiped out my keyfobs, but maybe because they didn’t have access to the OBD, they weren’t able to program a new one.

According to my cameras they spent almost 10 minutes trying to steal the truck to no avail, so they left. And, unfortunately for one of my neighbours stole his 5th gen Sport. So clearly they had the tools to carry out the job, but the lack of an OBD port appears to have stopped them.

In the mean time, I’ve fabricated a new OBD lockbox and bracket out of 1/4” steel that completely blocks access to the SGW plugs and reinforced the horn wire with a cable so it’s virtually impossible to yank on it and pull out the pins.

Food for thought everyone if you want to … TRY and secure your Ram from being stolen. Still may look at the IGLA down the road.

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
So i’ve been reading all the replies to my original post and thanks to everyone you chimed in. Lots of good suggestions. I am leaning towards the IGLA anti-theft device, though A) I’m not sure when I’d be able to get one since they’re coming from Russia and B) they’re Russian made so not exactly sure I trust them….

But anyways, I wanted to let everyone on the forum know that thieves (aka a$$holes) tried to steal my 2022 Limited on Friday. Yeah, Happy Canada day…. Emphasis on tried.

One of the things I researched after my 2021 Sport was stolen was how these a$$holes are stealing F150’s, Lexus’, Rams, and other vehicles. Some are using keyfob clones, or extenders so they pickup its signal from inside the house and relay it to another person at the vehicle.

I had my FOBs in a faraday box, so that didn’t work for them. They did punch/break the window and managed to pop the lock which tripped the anti-theft. Which made me wonder WHY the truck’s horn didn’t honk.

This is why….

View attachment 133992

They use a tool or coat hanger or something through the grill and yank out the pins from the connector. They do this first so … YOU HAVE NO HORN and it gives them time to mess with the truck silently.

So, they disabled the horn broke the window and got in the truck. They should have been able to steal the truck by plugging one of those tablet/computers into the OBD port. Except, I relocated it, and locked it up. They pulled out the connectors from the SGW and managed to do something to the truck because they wiped out my keyfobs, but maybe because they didn’t have access to the OBD, they weren’t able to program a new one.

According to my cameras they spent almost 10 minutes trying to steal the truck to no avail, so they left. And, unfortunately for one of my neighbours stole his 5th gen Sport. So clearly they had the tools to carry out the job, but the lack of an OBD port appears to have stopped them.

In the mean time, I’ve fabricated a new OBD lockbox and bracket out of 1/4” steel that completely blocks access to the SGW plugs and reinforced the horn wire with a cable so it’s virtually impossible to yank on it and pull out the pins.

Food for thought everyone if you want to … TRY and secure your Ram from being stolen. Still may look at the IGLA down the road.
My goodness! This is insane… I wonder if they would be able to disable my aftermarket alarm without it going off first

Users who are viewing this thread