5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to start truck if key fob bettery dies

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Page 24 of the owners manual covers this. It's not even that deep, and has been covered already on this forum as well. You just simply hold the front of the fob (the lock button side, not the keyring side) against the ignition switch and push the button (with your foot on the brake, as normal)

zx3junglist

Reaction score
Like some, I didn't read the manual cover-to-cover and didn't see any previous mentions of it so I'm thankful. Per @riccnick I went and looked in the manual (in mine it's on page 27) and it says

In case the ignition switch does not change with the push
of a button, the key fob may have a low or dead battery. In
this situation, a back up method can be used to operate the
ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the
emergency key) of the key fob against the ENGINE
START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition
switch.

homedad

Reaction score
Can you drive it still. I was under the impression that the 5th gen needed the key in the vehicle to actually use it. Sort of if you start it but walk away with the key. Will it still operate or will it just shut off when you try to drive?

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Can you drive it still. I was under the impression that the 5th gen needed the key in the vehicle to actually use it. Sort of if you start it but walk away with the key. Will it still operate or will it just shut off when you try to drive?

Key?.. the Fob will still be in the truck, you're just putting it against the push button

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rambuzz mentions that the owners manual mentions a screw to remove in order to access the battery. I noticed he has a Laramie key fob in the video. On my same year Big Horn I did not have the push button start like his and the fob for that has a screw. I'm guessing the owners manual forgets to mention the two different fobs.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 011847 miles.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You can drive the truck without the fob, as long as it's running already. Once you shut the truck off and need to restart it again, that's where you need the fob again.

Users who are viewing this thread