5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to setup WD Hitch w/Air Suspension

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Hi all,

Going to be towing my first camper this saturday with my truck w/air suspension. I was wondering what is the proper process for setting up the WD hitch with the truck. My concern is that the air suspension and WD hitch will be working against each other. Again I am totally new at this hookup procedure so if you can be as detailed for me that would be awesome! Thanks!!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is FCA take on configuring the Ram for proper towing with air suspension. 1. Trailer hitch weight should not be greater than 10% of total trailer weight. 2. If you are going to use WD bars, following is recommend. A. Place truck in jack mode B. Measure height of front wheel well opening from ground to the bottom of the opening.C. Attach trailer until full load is on the truck measure again Subtract C from B, divide by three and add B to the result, difference should be no more than 1/3 of normal ride height. Adjust until within specification.Turn off jack mode, truck will auto level using the air ride system.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks devil. I'm horrible at searching, I couldn't find the posts that specifically dealt with this.

I'll continue to look. Thanx for the info
I would have provided you with the links, but i was busy all night getting our camper ready for our first trip tomorrow.

16 more hours and I will finally get to tow with the 392 HEMI.

Hope you got it all figured out. Good luck.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance, the process seems pretty straight forward. Anybody else try it and found it wasn't that easy ?

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I would have provided you with the links, but i was busy all night getting our camper ready for our first trip tomorrow.

No problem DD, totally understand. I'm picking up my trailer in Pennsylvania tomorrow coincidentally. Plan to head to hershey and Harrisburg as first stops. Any suggestions on must-see spots for Family with two kids (ages 5 & 7)?

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score

Judging by your message I take it you finally not the bullet and got a new ram?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Judging by your message I take it you finally not the bullet and got a new ram?
I had to replace my 99 in a heartbeat...clutch went and the cancer won't pass inspection, so I bought a 2015 Tradesman Crew Cab Longbed with the 6.4l while I wait for the full redesign of the HD and what answers RAM gives to Ford's new gasser.

Hershey park is there...but not sure it is open yet. LOTS of history down there...Gettysburg is close.

Do you have a camping spot picked out?

Good luck and safe travels getting your new camper.

TBM1953

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance, the process seems pretty straight forward. Anybody else try it and found it wasn't that easy ?
I tried it but 1st I had to get hitch weight. I used the bathroom scale method and came up with 1020. Winnie says 740 dry. so I have about 280#s in batteries tanks and storage. I am using eaz-lift hitch so I need heaver spring bars as I have 600# from my old trailer. I bought 1200# bars but eaz lift says too much. I only have 1000 miles on this truck and I am thinking trade. Ram Sales folks said these air bags were made for trailer........This trailer towed fine with my GMC Sierra 1500 so another mistake I made. GMC has made a good offer. But California has a big sales tax and I may not go that route. I hate car shopping!!!!!!!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried it but 1st I had to get hitch weight. I used the bathroom scale method and came up with 1020. Winnie says 740 dry. so I have about 280#s in batteries tanks and storage. I am using eaz-lift hitch so I need heaver spring bars as I have 600# from my old trailer. I bought 1200# bars but eaz lift says too much. I only have 1000 miles on this truck and I am thinking trade. Ram Sales folks said these air bags were made for trailer........This trailer towed fine with my GMC Sierra 1500 so another mistake I made. GMC has made a good offer. But California has a big sales tax and I may not go that route. I hate car shopping!!!!!!!

What are your truck spec's now? (Your payload, rear end, cab, and drive system?)

1020 lbs tongue weight is not-not doable, but it's getting to the limit of what the DT Ram (and any half ton) can handle. If your truck is spec'd correctly, you should be good, with proper setup. Follow the instructions in the owner's manual for setting the weight bars, if you're confident about your tongue weight and payload.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought 1200# bars but eaz lift says too much.
With 1020 tongue weight 1200 bars sound right. What reason did they give? I’d use them. Your tongue weight will likely vary from trip to trip and those bars are pretty close to your measured weight. Plus you should account for the weight of the hitch itself and any cargo in the bed behind the rear axle, that weight needs to be “distributed” as well.

Are you having problems with the air suspension setup? I found it to be super simple. Much easier than the steel spring setup since the ball height won’t move around on you every time you add/reduce w/d tension while getting it dialed-in.

davefuze

Reaction score
This is FCA take on configuring the Ram for proper towing with air suspension. 1. Trailer hitch weight should not be greater than 10% of total trailer weight. 2. If you are going to use WD bars, following is recommend. A. Place truck in jack mode B. Measure height of front wheel well opening from ground to the bottom of the opening.C. Attach trailer until full load is on the truck measure again Subtract C from B, divide by three and add B to the result, difference should be no more than 1/3 of normal ride height. Adjust until within specification.Turn off jack mode, truck will auto level using the air ride system.
Why would FCA recommend against going over 10% TW, when 12.5% is the perfectly accepted ratio of TW, post-WDH being added?

Users who are viewing this thread