5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to set up weight distrubution hitch

Jonz

Reaction score
I got a trailer a few months ago that came with a weight distribution hitch. It just dawned on me that I'm not 100% sure it's set up correctly. Previous owner had a 2015 f150 I think. I'm sure it's atleast close to being where it needs to be for my truck. The few times I've towed it did fine. But anyone know how to redo it and what to look out for? I've never set one up. I do have aftermarket airbags to help with squat if that matters. Any info helps. Thank you.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the manual from your hitch manufacturer online and just go thru the setup again. It won't be the same from a different truck make to Ram. Your airbags covered for you, so it's not an emergency.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are likely youtube videos for your specific hitch. Otherwise, the manufacturer's website usually has such things available. Two big things...Airbags are NOT a substitue for WDH, and CAT scale at your nearest truck stop is your friend.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Years ago when I was in your situation, I ran across a post that explained it like no other. Not only did it make more sense once you thought through it, but it made the rig look and drive perfect. I still cringe when I see folks driving around with the truck squatting and the trailer end way up in the air.

From memory:
  1. The hitch height levels the trailer. Adjust it until your trailer is level.
  2. The WD hitch angle levels the tow vehicle. It should wind up being the same pitch F/R with the trailer attached as it was unloaded. After step 1 is complete, change the hitch angle to level your truck.
  3. Changing one will impact the other so repeat all steps as needed until everything is level.

No idea where that post was but here is one roughly similar: https://davidsrvtips.blogspot.com/2009/02/hitch-setup_2781.html

Booch

Reaction score
Adjust the WDH to get the truck and trailer level with the trailer loaded, with the airbags empty. Then air up the bags until they just start to help.

The WDH bars should be relatively level/parallel to the trailer frame, too.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Level is not the end game. Properly distributed weight across all axles, AND being as close to level is possible is the goal.

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
The Weigh Safe hitch is the easiest to set up of any hitch I've had any experience with. You can adjust the tension with everything hooked up. So you can dial it in exactly..

Creep0321

Reaction score
Adjust the WDH to get the truck and trailer level with the trailer loaded, with the airbags empty. Then air up the bags until they just start to help.

The WDH bars should be relatively level/parallel to the trailer frame, too.
AirLift says to add air to bags prior to hooking up to trailer. Thoughts?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone within the past couple of weeks CALLED Air Lift and they said it didn't matter when you add air, posted in another thread here.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Someone within the past couple of weeks CALLED Air Lift and they said it didn't matter when you add air, posted in another thread here.
I did call them, they said to add air 35-45 PSI prior to hitching to the trailer, then adjust as necessary after hitched.

Booch

Reaction score
AirLift says to add air to bags prior to hooking up to trailer. Thoughts?
Your WDH should be setup without any assistance from the airbags. But yes, once you are ready to tow, put some air in them before you put load on them.

Users who are viewing this thread