5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to run wires through firewall of 2019 Ram 1500 from fusebox to engine compartment

Jason Allan

Reaction score
Looking for any information on how to run wires from inside cabin of my 2019 ram 1500 through the firewall into engine bay to the battery. Also looking for information on how to access fusebox under steering wheel.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for any information on how to run wires from inside cabin of my 2019 ram 1500 through the firewall into engine bay to the battery. Also looking for information on how to access fusebox under steering wheel.

I went through the large grommet in the upper left hand corner behind the steering wheel, it comes out at the top of the engine bay right behind the battery. Panel has two screws at the bottom, one on each side that need to be removed. Then I grabbed from the bottom with one hand and the top with the other hand, pops right out.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very easy for both. To get to the fuse box you just remove the trim piece under the steering column by removing the two bolts and then pulling until the clips release. Firewall access is easy via the grommet jloop mentioned. See pic below. Poke a hole whatever size you need. I use a little electrical putty to fill in around the wire/hole to make it water tight.

Attachments

• 76FBBB23-1C7C-4A2D-8D63-D60053C0EC90.jpeg
    76FBBB23-1C7C-4A2D-8D63-D60053C0EC90.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 372

Jason Allan

Reaction score
I went through the large grommet in the upper left hand corner behind the steering wheel, it comes out at the top of the engine bay right behind the battery. Panel has two screws at the bottom, one on each side that need to be removed. Then I grabbed from the bottom with one hand and the top with the other hand, pops right out.

Awesome thank you for the info Jloops!! oh 1 other question, can I poke a hole anywhere through that grommet without fear of damaging anything? Also do you have any idea what size of circuit tap I would need (what size of fuses they are in that panel? I'm trying to tap into an accessory fuse.)

Jason Allan

Reaction score
Very easy for both. To get to the fuse box you just remove the trim piece under the steering column by removing the two bolts and then pulling until the clips release. Firewall access is easy via the grommet jloop mentioned. See pic below. Poke a hole whatever size you need. I use a little electrical putty to fill in around the wire/hole to make it water tight.

awesome thank you Patsy1099!! one other thing .... can I poke a hole anywhere through that grommet without fear of damaging anything? Also do you have any idea what size of circuit tap I would need (what size of fuses they are in that panel? I'm trying to tap into an accessory fuse.)

Patsy1099

Reaction score
awesome thank you Patsy1099!! one other thing .... can I poke a hole anywhere through that grommet without fear of damaging anything? Also do you have any idea what size of circuit tap I would need (what size of fuses they are in that panel? I'm trying to tap into an accessory fuse.)

You shouldn’t worry about damaging any wires really. There is a cable/wire that is already coming thru that grommet in a tight sleeve. You can actually pull he entire grommet out of that hole. It’s just basically a large rubber plug. It will pull out and slide along that cable and you will be able to see daylight right thru the firewall. Then you will easily be able to get your wires thru and determine the size hole you need in the grommet and then just push it back in.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I think a micro fuse tap is what you’re looking for. I’d have to take my panel off to be sure. I am back and forth between completely different vehicles and so I’m not 100%. I’m fairly sure all the new vehicles use the micro fuses though so a micro fuse tap should work. Maybe @securityguy can chime in because I know he has done some cameras/radars and it might be able to confirm.

Eduardowitt

Reaction score
Hi. In ram 2500 2020 there is a plastic box info the engine bay, and a rubber inside the car. I just dril a hole from inside to outside. CDCF9C57-1511-4241-94F8-1DC18F4DED12.jpeg

Attachments

• E6A035D4-96D4-424A-BDE0-01BB1E8897DE.jpeg
    E6A035D4-96D4-424A-BDE0-01BB1E8897DE.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread