5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to run a cable/wire from bed to inside cab?

wayn0r

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a weboost (Drive 4G-X OTR) and installed the antenna on the bed rack. Now I need to run a COAX cable from the bed of the truck to inside the cabin.

A few questions:

1) Are there any openings that lead from inside the bed to underneath the bed which I can use to run the COAX cable through (without going all the way to the rear lights opening)?

2) If 1) is not possible I'm thinking running the cable down in the space between the cab and the bed. What would you use to make sure the cable doesn't bounce around and damage the paint over time?

3) Would you run the cable all the way to the engine bay and get it in through the firewall? Or is there a way I can get the cable into the cab through one of the storage boxes on the floor of the back row of the truck? Do you see any issues with maybe drilling a hole into the bottom of the storage box and getting the cable in that way?

Thank you,

Peter

WPG

Reaction score
Did you figure out anything? I need to run a cable as well for a GMRS antenna. I looked at the storage box but the wire would restrict the closing of the lid. It appears to be a wire harness under the drivers seat and a box directly under next to the frame? I haven't taken it apart to see if that box has cab access or not.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not in front of my truck but there is a rubber grommet in the engine compartment below the brake booster(or nearby) from what I recall and the rubber grommet has a wire pass through hole that is sealed but it punches very easily with a hanger or something similar and will allow you to pass wire straight through to cabin.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WPG

-Nightwind-

Reaction score
Did you figure out anything? I need to run a cable as well for a GMRS antenna. I looked at the storage box but the wire would restrict the closing of the lid. It appears to be a wire harness under the drivers seat and a box directly under next to the frame? I haven't taken it apart to see if that box has cab access or not.

I’m also looking to run a GMRS antenna. Following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STOKED

Reaction score
If you get under the truck and look on the rear driver's side, about where the rear seat is, you'll see a plastic cap/grommet. It's not removable, but you can easily drill a hole through it to get a wire in there. That's how I ran the wire for my cargo lights. Obviously, you'll want to pull up the carpet before you drill through the grommet.

xemrac

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a weboost (Drive 4G-X OTR) and installed the antenna on the bed rack. Now I need to run a COAX cable from the bed of the truck to inside the cabin.

A few questions:

1) Are there any openings that lead from inside the bed to underneath the bed which I can use to run the COAX cable through (without going all the way to the rear lights opening)?

2) If 1) is not possible I'm thinking running the cable down in the space between the cab and the bed. What would you use to make sure the cable doesn't bounce around and damage the paint over time?

3) Would you run the cable all the way to the engine bay and get it in through the firewall? Or is there a way I can get the cable into the cab through one of the storage boxes on the floor of the back row of the truck? Do you see any issues with maybe drilling a hole into the bottom of the storage box and getting the cable in that way?

Thank you,

Peter

Hey Peter,

I just rec'd my 4G-X OTR and also have a Diamond Back cover.. Can you please share how you mounted the outside antenna? I was hoping to install on the bed, but the mount doesn't allow enough clearance for the Diamondback to close properly. Would love to see how you went about the mounting.

Thanks in advance!

EricS

Reaction score
Been a year, and not a word. Got a weBoost last night. Mounted it using a FireStik pickup truck stake hole antenna mount. Also looking for a way to run the coax through the back of the cab. Thinking of drilling a hole behind the back seat, grab a rubber grommet and some silicone to seal it up.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Been a year, and not a word. Got a weBoost last night. Mounted it using a FireStik pickup truck stake hole antenna mount. Also looking for a way to run the coax through the back of the cab. Thinking of drilling a hole behind the back seat, grab a rubber grommet and some silicone to seal it up.
Not a word? See post #5 for the best answer.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Here is the install for bed lights. I have not done an install but you may be able to follow and make some adaptions to the process.

Attachments

• Ram Bed Light Installation PDF 82215272AB.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 210

WPG

Reaction score
I got my GMRS installed, I have a few more items to add and will post the pics when I am done with all cable runs in the next day or so.
Behind the driver-side backseat, plug-hole pics show under the cab and under the carpet, then run along the seal plate to the slot under the radio. A small slit is already in the cubby hole, I opened that hole up to get the wiring to the GMRS and scanner.

Attachments

• messages_0 (6).jpeg
    messages_0 (6).jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 197
  • messages_0 (5).jpeg
    messages_0 (5).jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 178
  • messages_0 (1).jpeg
    messages_0 (1).jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20201012_163641.jpg
    20201012_163641.jpg