5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove driver's side dash speaker

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I have a rattle in what I think is the dash speaker on the driver's side. Is this easy to remove and inspect or should I go to the dreaded dealer?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. No dealer for just that. Little tiny screw driver you can pop one corner of the speaker grill up, then remove with hands. Speaker is held in by 2 screws diagonally situated. Might be that one is loose. If so use a stubby Phillips.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
No. No dealer for just that. Little tiny screw driver you can pop one corner of the speaker grill up, then remove with hands. Speaker is held in by 2 screws diagonally situated. Might be that one is loose. If so use a stubby Phillips.
Thank you so much!! I used a plastic paint scraper to pry off the cover very easily. I saw three screws, the most rearward of which was loose enough that you could wiggle it and make noise. I tightened it, but it almost felt stripped. I left the cover off to drive and listen for it. I appreciate your help!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! I used a plastic paint scraper to pry off the cover very easily. I saw three screws, the most rearward of which was loose enough that you could wiggle it and make noise. I tightened it, but it almost felt stripped. I left the cover off to drive and listen for it. I appreciate your help!
Hmmm....there should only be 2 screws. Do you have Alpine or HK?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Hmmm....there should only be 2 screws. Do you have Alpine or HK?
I have a Tradesman with the lowest level system. This is a picture from someone else's upgraded system, but I circled the screw that was loose in my truck. Screw.JPG

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Those are the kicker speakers that they have been talking about swapping in. The screw circled has nothing to do with the speaker, but glad you found it. Hopefully that is the gremlin that has been rattling.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Tradesman with the lowest level system. This is a picture from someone else's upgraded system, but I circled the screw that was loose in my truck. View attachment 50570
Ron is right..that screw is not part of the speaker itself, but if that screw was that loose, I would think it WOULD cause some rattling to the housing it's in from the speaker action. If you can't tighten it cause it's stripped, then put a slightly bigger diameter self-tapping style screw in it's place, see what happens.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Those are the kicker speakers that they have been talking about swapping in. The screw circled has nothing to do with the speaker, but glad you found it. Hopefully that is the gremlin that has been rattling.
Any idea what to do if the screw is stripped? It felt like it was screwing into a plastic piece. I don't think the screw would be stripped as much as the piece it's going in to.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Ron is right..that screw is not part of the speaker itself, but if that screw was that loose, I would think it WOULD cause some rattling to the housing it's in from the speaker action. If you can't tighten it cause it's stripped, then put a slightly bigger diameter self-tapping style screw in it's place, see what happens.
Thank you for the advice!

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Or you can put a toothpick in the hole before you put the screw in, that will give it some bite and tighten right up. Just break the toothpick off once the screw is started.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a rattle in what I think is the dash speaker on the driver's side. Is this easy to remove and inspect or should I go to the dreaded dealer?

A bit of advice. When you use any tool to remove interior items from soft-touch materials, such as the instrument panel, door panels, etc., I strongly recommend placing a barrier between the tool and the panel you are prying against. These soft-touch materials deform rather easily and prying against it can leave some ugly marks. I sometimes place a metal putty knife on the stationary surface that's receiving the prying pressure and pry against it. The wider the tool the better.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031303 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread