5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To remove Auto E-Brake Safety Feature

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the ridiculous feature that instantly slams on the emergency brake if your backing up with the door open can be bi-passed? I also had it happen when my rear park sense thought I was too close to an object. I have to squeeze my truck into my garage and often do this. It is driving me crazy.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
Does anyone know if the ridiculous feature that instantly slams on the emergency brake if your backing up with the door open can be bi-passed? I also had it happen when my rear park sense thought I was too close to an object. I have to squeeze my truck into my garage and often do this. It is driving me crazy.
I believe it is a setting inside the radio. Can't remember where exactly. I need to turn it off myself as it always gets me backing up from a slanted driveway.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the manual:
• The driver can override the automatic braking function
by pressing the gas pedal, turning ParkSense off via
ParkSense switch, or changing the gear while the automatic
brakes are being applied.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if ESC is not
available.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if there is a
faulted condition detected with the ParkSense Park
Assist system or the Braking System Module.
• The automatic braking function may only be applied if
the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding
with a detected obstacle.
• The automatic braking function will not be available if
vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• The automatic braking function may not be applied fast
enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of the
vehicle from the left and/or right sides.
The automatic braking function can be enabled/
disabled from the Customer Programmable Features
section of the Uconnect System
• ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state
for the automatic braking function through ignition
cycles.
by pressing the gas pedal, turning the rear system
ParkSense off via the Rear ParkSense switch, or changing
the gear while the automatic brakes are being
applied.

Depending on your model (you don't include your config in your signature) it's in the UConnect settings under Safety/Assistance. Change the "Warning & Braking" to "Warning Only" or "Off".

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You can disable the automatic breaking function (I'm not sure if you are asking this or asking of you can disable if from occurring only when you open a door, which I dont think is possible).

1536345758260.png

On the 12 inch Uconnect, there is a option in the settings menu, under the safety and driving assistance menu

1536346139935.png

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the manual:
by pressing the gas pedal, turning ParkSense off via
ParkSense switch, or changing the gear while the automatic
brakes are being applied.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if ESC is not
available.
• Automatic brakes will not be available if there is a
faulted condition detected with the ParkSense Park
Assist system or the Braking System Module.
• The automatic braking function may only be applied if
the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding
with a detected obstacle.
• The automatic braking function will not be available if
vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
• The automatic braking function may not be applied fast
enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of the
vehicle from the left and/or right sides.
The automatic braking function can be enabled/
disabled from the Customer Programmable Features
section of the Uconnect System
• ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state
for the automatic braking function through ignition
cycles.
by pressing the gas pedal, turning the rear system
ParkSense off via the Rear ParkSense switch, or changing
the gear while the automatic brakes are being
applied.

Depending on your model (you don't include your config in your signature) it's in the UConnect settings under Safety/Assistance. Change the "Warning & Braking" to "Warning Only" or "Off".

Great minds....lol.....and posted at almost the same time :)

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can disable the automatic breaking function (I'm not sure if you are asking this or asking of you can disable if from occurring only when you open a door, which I dont think is possible).

View attachment 4346

On the 12 inch Uconnect, there is a option in the settings menu, under the safety and driving assistance menu

View attachment 4347
Thank you. That seems easier than I anticipated. I will be happy to disable this feature

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 4346

View attachment 4347
I finally had time to try this out. I did find how to disable the rear Park sense braking assist. That disables the truck from auto braking when you get close to an object but it does not stop it from going into park if you open your door. It goes into an auto park mode. I do not see where this is possible to disengage. Any chance this can be done away with?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I finally had time to try this out. I did find how to disable the rear Park sense braking assist. That disables the truck from auto braking when you get close to an object but it does not stop it from going into park if you open your door. It goes into an auto park mode. I do not see where this is possible to disengage. Any chance this can be done away with?

I don't think it is possible. I've seen the same answer on a couple different forums.. " safety feature "

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I find myself frustrated by this shifter behavior too especially when backing up and/or hitching a trailer. It’s there for a reason though: The poorly designed shifter in 2014-15 Jeep Grand Cherokees resulted in a lethal accident when driver exited vehicle thinking it was in park, driver ran over and killed, and safety system installed to force vehicles into park whenever door is opened. My guess is this feature carried over to the Ram, would be surprised if you can turn it off.

The Ram shifter is somewhat polarizing, but does not suffer from the same UI flaw as the JGC one. Here’s an article describing the problems with the old shifter design driving the change: https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/27/...lectronic-gear-shift-recall-design-flaw-video

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are correct. I did Find out that if your seat belt is buckled, you can open the door and continue moving in forward or reverse. I guess if your buckled you can’t run yourself over! That should help but there will still be occasions that this is going to be a pain.

Hewmunga

Reaction score
Have any on you had the auto brake kick in even when there is nothing behind? I've had it happen multiple times when I'm backing into my driveway and I'm no where near the garage door or anything for that matter. Sucks that i have to disable the function

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have any on you had the auto brake kick in even when there is nothing behind? I've had it happen multiple times when I'm backing into my driveway and I'm no where near the garage door or anything for that matter. Sucks that i have to disable the function

Did you adjust the sensitivity level? Also, take a look at the TSB for the parktronic system listed under the electrical category and see if it applies to you.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/

Hewmunga

Reaction score

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't even aware that there was a sensitivity adjuster I'll have to check that out, thanks for the TSB link, very helpful. I'll have to find out when my truck was put together
I take it back..looks like you can only adjust the front collusion warning sensitivity.

I would definitely look to see if the TSB applies to your truck.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score

I've had it happen intermittently when my sensors have been dirty. A quick wipe seems to fix the issue for me, even if they don't seem dirty. Maybe it is the angle of the driveway combined with a small amount of dirt on them.

Hewmunga

Reaction score
I've had it happen intermittently when my sensors have been dirty. A quick wipe seems to fix the issue for me, even if they don't seem dirty. Maybe it is the angle of the driveway combined with a small amount of dirt on them.

Yeah the driveway is somewhat steep i also though that might have been the issue but it also happened to me in a parking lot reversing into a spot and it did the same thing. I wasnt even close to anything. Pretty embarrassing thing to happen in public. My truck has stayed pretty clean i wipe it down about once a week and i usually don't drive it during the week. I think im going to take it to the dealership and reference the TSB

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It happens to me backing into a steep driveway. First experience was not fun, didn't enjoy the second either. It's a learning experience.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is not possible to disable "auto park". This feauture is the result of a lawsuit. I haven't tried this on my Ram but my Grand Cherokee had this "feature". I discovered that putting on my seatbelt disabled the "auto park". I often open my door and look at the ground when backing up to a trailer to see small movements. The Ram's backup camera with zoom makes it easy so I haven't had to drive with the door open.

Hewmunga

Reaction score
Did you adjust the sensitivity level? Also, take a look at the TSB for the parktronic system listed under the electrical category and see if it applies to you.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/
It happens to me backing into a steep driveway. First experience was not fun, didn't enjoy the second either. It's a learning experience.

Hey guys just wanted to update yall, I took my truck to the dealership and referenced the TSB for the Parksense auto braking and they were able to update the module and im happy to say i havent had any issues with the truck auto braking on me when there is nothing near by

thanks 202snowman for the list of TSB's (y)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to update yall, I took my truck to the dealership and referenced the TSB for the Parksense auto braking and they were able to update the module and im happy to say i havent had any issues with the truck auto braking on me when there is nothing near by

thanks 202snowman for the list of TSB's (y)
Picked up Bighorn 11/24, build date is 11/2 I believe. Do you know the date of the TSB?

Users who are viewing this thread