5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reduce MDS noise?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Other than disabling MDS, has anyone had experience reducing the bogging noise that MDS makes? I have a stock engine and exhaust. I like the MPG benefits of MDS, but I dislike the humming bogging noise it produces.

I've considered adding an exhaust to replace the engine noise with exhaust noise, but I'm sure the MDS noise through the exhaust isn't desirable either.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Other than disabling MDS, has anyone had experience reducing the bogging noise that MDS makes? I have a stock engine and exhaust. I like the MPG benefits of MDS, but I dislike the humming bogging noise it produces.

I've considered adding an exhaust to replace the engine noise with exhaust noise, but I'm sure the MDS noise through the exhaust isn't desirable either.
I never ever heard the MDS noise until I added an aftermarket exhaust.
If you do, it will magnify it...

Cheers

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just crank the tunes! :cool:
Okay, maybe not.
I never ever heard the MDS noise until I added an aftermarket exhaust.
If you do, it will magnify it...
^^I second this. I almost always disable MDS on my truck. It's the first "mod" I did. It's funny to me when people say they don't even notice it, because I could always feel and hear when it was active, even with stock exhaust. When I added an aftermarket muffler I wanted to see if it made any difference, and it's much more noticeable now when the MDS kicks in. Even my passengers have commented on it. Only way I know of to reduce the sound is to make the exhaust quieter. No way I can think of for reducing the vibrations though. But maybe if you can't hear it you won't notice it as much.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm very selective on when I use MDS. Below 50MPH = MDS/OFF, over 50MPH = MDS/ON. It works so much better this way. Sluggishness and tone are nearly or completely gone, works as one would think it should. It's simply to much work for 4 cylinders to accelerate/maintain 6000 lbs at lower speeds and I alway hear/feel it if I forget to disable it. But...I love my truck. Its probably the nicest/refined vehicle I've ever owned. Really doesn't feel like a truck, unless I'm actually using it as a truck (Which I do). She's been trouble free for almost 23K miles.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I'm very selective on when I use MDS. Below 50MPH = MDS/OFF, over 50MPH = MDS/ON. It works so much better this way. Sluggishness and tone are nearly or completely gone, works as one would think it should. It's simply to much work for 4 cylinders to accelerate/maintain 6000 lbs at lower speeds and I alway hear/feel it if I forget to disable it. But...I love my truck. Its probably the nicest/refined vehicle I've ever owned. Really doesn't feel like a truck, unless I'm actually using it as a truck (Which I do). She's been trouble free for almost 23K miles.
Very interesting! I'm going to try this out and see how I like it. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/