5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to properly wash truck

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hit a local carwash as often as I can with an unlimited membership. It closes at 6:30 so I can't always make it. The amazing part is, it still has paint. Crazy, right?

Of course it still has paint. The question is how does it look? Whats acceptable to you may not be to someone else and what's overdoing it to you may be just getting by for that same person

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Still a beautiful red. Its not a fu-fu truck that has a rhinestone steering wheel cover and a toy poodle in a handbag hanging from the rear view. It lives in the woods at the end of the road. It shops at Home Depot instead of Homegoods. It does truck stuff and needs a bath so it can go out on the town and have fun before heading back to the woods. Its a truck.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Still a beautiful red. Its not a fu-fu truck that has a rhinestone steering wheel cover and a toy poodle in a handbag hanging from the rear view. It lives in the woods at the end of the road. It shops at Home Depot instead of Homegoods. It does truck stuff and needs a bath so it can go out on the town and have fun before heading back to the woods. Its a truck.

Great for you, others may want to take a little better care of their truck and still do all those things, nothing wrong with that. Different strokes

U

User_3336

Have someone else do it. If they don't do a good job of washing the truck who cares
Looks like they are more into each other, than washing the truck! LOL I knew it was a matter of time before someone would post something like that! HAHA

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand why some people put others down for wanting to keep their trucks as pristine as possible. Treat it however you want, but why try to make others feel bad for wanting more.
Because I'm fussy about my vehicles and try to keep them as pristine as possible, just about every one I've passed off had a short line of friends and family wanting to buy them and willing to give me more than a dealer could offer.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053750 miles.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in both camps here. I like my truck looking really good, and when I do clean it up I do a good job, but I also use it to haul a lot of materials and construction tools and find myself in dirty places, so keeping it pristine looking on a regular basis is just not realistic. I tend to do 1-2 good cleanup jobs on it a year, and then the rest of the year the best clean it might get is where I hose it off real quick to knock bird crap or dust off of it. I'm not a big fan of driving through a car wash but I've done it and will surely do it again. I like cleaning the truck but it's a lot of time, which is something I tend not to have in big enough chunks that I'd want to use it washing a car. ;)

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I bought my first new car 6 years ago. I spent $3,000 on an initial paint correction, film, coating. I had Opti-Guard on the carpets, Opti-Glass on the exterior and various trim pieces all covered with oily hydrophobic stuff that came with a 7 year warranty from OptiCoat. I had everything perfect and then went on a twice a year service plan with a great detailer that is amazing.

He lives 2 hours south which is the closest shop that offers PPF/Ceramic coatings that isn't just some kid with a carport.

I then proceeded to daily my car through our 6 month Winter. I would clean it all winter every week and used all of the expensive stuff that I bought from Chemical guys and even when it was like 20 below zero outside, you'd see me brushing my allow wheels and keeping the hard to reach bits beautiful. I also had the undercoating done on the bottom of the car and the engine bay.

One year goes by and its September and I'm prepping for winter again and I go to my shop and pay him another $600 for a full detail and refresh of some of the ceramic coating. He then spend half an hour going over all of the marks on my car, swirls, dings, piano black trim damage, scrapes on the wheel where the guys who did my wheel swaps screwed up one of the holes a bit and chipped off some of the aluminum and where my dog had scratched the hatchback getting in and out even though 9 out of 10 times I'd pick the dog up and let him out. I had even bought this carpet flip out mat thing to keep him from scratching up the rear hatch but that vinyl scratchy material when he puts his paws down scratches and swirls the paint anyway because it's an abrasive carpet material my dog slides on to get in and out.

...I was horrified. I babied this car and it was in utter disrepair!

Then I went to my Audi shop and they put it up on the lift and most of the OEM suspension components already were starting to rust through. My rear end links were rusted through and VW denied my corrosion claim after 12 months, 20K miles.

and so at that point, I decided "screw it. This is New Hampshire, I live on a dirt road, it's snowing October - May with salt on the road. I'm never going through this BS ever again"

I've had a lot of people ask me about my $76,000 truck and aren't I wrapping the entire thing? Hell no. Because New England Winters are vicious *******s. They'll destroy everything you put in them. When I move back to Florida, I'll take care of my stuff but for the last 2 years, I've washed my VW twice by hand and 2 more times, my detailer did it and he pointed out some new dings and scratches but nothing horrible.

The first year and thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours I spent keeping my car perfect did nothing to offset that damage from our salty/dirty/sandy roads. Simply not washing the car at all does no additional damage. My 7 year OptiCoat warranty is up in September and so I'm going to let him touch up all of the spots one more time for about $600 in labor and then I'm done with any products that supposedly protect the car.

The only way to protect a car is to not drive it.

sorry for the rant. good on you guys for wanting to preserve your stuff but I just don't see a point. It's an expensive truck but it's a truck.

Oh and another thing, the used car market is completely chock full of 95% of vehicles that the owners did nothing but go through a car wash once a month. It never saw a single coat of wax and people value them identically to the vehicles who had an owner / detailer that fussed over paint thickness, carbon coating, waxing. My point is, if you're selling the truck in the next 5-10 years, don't do anything. The next owner isn't going to give you the $5,000 you spent in detailing. They're going to roll up, "cool paint looks nice" then they're going to drive home, go through a $5 ****ty car wash and go about their day.
OCD isn't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread