5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to preserve that new car smell as long as possible

bigoldthor

Reaction score
How do you guys do it, if you do or if you care? What type of cleaners, conditioners, and protectants do you use that either help to preserve it or do the least to cover it up or replace it?

For leather, I've always had good luck with Lexol Cleaner followed by Lexol Conditioner (has mink oil in it). That helps with the *leather* smell, but not sure about the other surfaces, carpet, etc. Would like to keep it smelling new as long as possible.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Park it in a cool dark place and fill with dry nitrogen :)
I only use warm water with little Dawn in it to clean up smudges, mopar conditioner for the steering wheel.
The interior has so many plastic parts that the out-gassing has kept my truck smelling new for year and a half so far.
No smoking, pets or pizza boxes in my truck. (my lady friend is allowed to smoke but the windows go down)

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still smells new to me. I just take care of the leather & try to keep my boys out of it lol. Smelling the leather every time I open the door does it for me.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep it clean, don't smoke, carry wet dogs, or hot greasy food in the truck.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I tried a few different ‘new car smell’ air fresheners when it started to fade in my 2019, and the closest i found was this combo from amazon Chemical Guys 2-pack. I do a two-to-one spray of the new car and leather smell (despite not having leather interior ;)) and its a pleasant, reasonable facsimile to what I recall the truck smelling like when new. At least to my nose... YMMV

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use your Ramboxes or Bed for anything that will leave a smell in the truck like food.

Keep it clean and vacuumed. Don't use harsh cleaners with lots of scents. You can actually just use a damp no lint cloth for most things unless cleaning stains.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
No fast food in it, dont smoke in it, keep it vaccumed, use some nice smelling cleaner like the mothers pro or sprayway line.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
Nexzett "kok"pitt Premium for overall interior care. You can spray on anything. I also use their leather "lederpflege" for all the leather surfaces. If there are bad jean stains on the seats (i have indigo frost) is use their deep plastic cleaner. You can view all their stuff here: https://www.detailersdomain.com/#

for the record I'm not brand loyal to anything. I've just found their stuff to be the overall best. Outside I mostly use Adam's polishes. Wax I use Swissvax. It's pricey and left over from a previous ride I had.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use your Ramboxes or Bed for anything that will leave a smell in the truck like food.

Keep it clean and vacuumed. Don't use harsh cleaners with lots of scents. You can actually just use a damp no lint cloth for most things unless cleaning stains.
I do the same with my Ram Boxes. It's been handy with today's Covid19 regimen of takeout-only and "please don't get out of your car". When I pull up to the queue or into a designated parking space to pick up takeout, I open the Ram Box and get back in the truck, and when the food comes I ask the wait staff to set the bag in the Ram Box and close the lid. I just wish Ram had built in remote Ram Box lid releases like they did with the tailgate ;-)

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wish Ram had built in remote Ram Box lid releases like they did with the tailgate ;-)

Technically when the truck is unlocked the staff could open the Ram Boxes and put the items in there for you...but who trusts other people not to scratch them? :rolleyes:

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Look at Chemical Guys products. They have a few interior cleaners that have different scents. I use their Total Interior Cleaner & Protect and it has a good new-car scent.

Users who are viewing this thread