5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get rid of autopark

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use a seat belt extender to disable autopark. Truck thinks I'm wearing my seat belt even when I'm not. And you can still use your seat belt normally when you do want to wear it. You can also just apply very slight pressure to the brake while moving without your seat belt.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You and me both. 🤷‍♂️ I see some wheel spin marks on the floor but not sure how that would happen with the emergency brake on unless “someone” floored the accelerator also. Again I see 👀 user error Of some kind.

🤔 At least he has more room in his garage now.
I am betting the (admittedly annoying) rear collision system kicked in, he opened the door to see what was happening, truck threw itself into park, and then he angrily threw it into drive and mashed the gas thinking he was backing out.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am betting the (admittedly annoying) rear collision system kicked in, he opened the door to see what was happening, truck threw itself into park, and then he angrily threw it into drive and mashed the gas thinking he was backing out.
I can see that. Good thinking. Regardless I hope the OP got things worked out. I don't wish any harm on anyone or their vehicles...

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those who like to open the door in Reverse to see the tire may I suggest using your side mirror - I believe on many trim levels you can even enable this is settings (side mirror tilt down in reverse) doesn't help in the forward to lift situation though. I used to use the open the door method but have tried to adapt to the new safety tech rather than override it when I can as it generally serves a valid purpose.

1500DFW

Reaction score
For those who like to open the door in Reverse to see the tire may I suggest using your side mirror - I believe on many trim levels you can even enable this is settings (side mirror tilt down in reverse) doesn't help in the forward to lift situation though. I used to use the open the door method but have tried to adapt to the new safety tech rather than override it when I can as it generally serves a valid purpose.

The lower tilt lets you see your wheel. But it goes so low you can’t see what’s actually behind you. It’s nearly unusable. I wish there was a way to adjust the level it goes to. Or just have one mirror move. My wife’s Mercedes’ widens and lowers just the passenger mirror. It’s way nicer.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The lower tilt lets you see your wheel. But it goes so low you can’t see what’s actually behind you. It’s nearly unusable. I wish there was a way to adjust the level it goes to. Or just have one mirror move. My wife’s Mercedes’ widens and lowers just the passenger mirror. It’s way nicer.
Comparing a Mercedes to a Ram won't end well

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's subaru is the same - just tilts the one mirror in reverse.

Last edited:

1500DFW

Reaction score

I know I know. But it shouldn’t be too far off for what these trucks cost. Overall I’m happy with my truck but a good ***** session once in a while makes me feel a bit better.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Limited had a higher MSRP than many Mercedes Benz's. :ROFLMAO:

I owned a couple GM trucks that allowed you to select one or both mirrors for the tilt in reverse function. One was a 2004 and the other a 2006. There's no good reason we can't have an option for that on these trucks.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I owned a couple GM trucks that allowed you to select one or both mirrors for the tilt in reverse function. One was a 2004 and the other a 2006. There's no good reason we can't have an option for that on these trucks.
You can also say that for the proximity entry in the Big Horn / Lone Star trims. There is no reason a $50k truck shouldn't have proximity key entry.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My Laramie does have tilt in reverse mirrors as part of the driver memory system in uconnect but it is either both or none.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Laramie does have tilt in reverse mirrors as part of the driver memory system in uconnect but it is either both or none.
Yeah, that's one of the biggest complaints for that feature in 5th gens. The other main complaint is that they tilt too far down.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the biggest complaints for that feature in 5th gens. The other main complaint is that they tilt too far down.

I wonder if it’s something that the Tazer may be able to control if they added it to a future update?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s something that the Tazer may be able to control if they added it to a future update?
Would be hard to do if the actuators don't have any sort of position sensor. It might just be an on/off function.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd have to agree, turned them on today and was backing the travel trailer into a site tonight and they were worthless - pointed so low they were useless and I had to turn the setting off again. My wife's outback is much better with the angle.

THFD334

Reaction score
Oh gotcha, yup, I was talking about Auto Parking brake.

Here is the manual: https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

On page 297 it talks about the Autopark system and how it can be operated and not operated.

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the
vehicle with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.
AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:

• Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and an 8-speed
transmission
• Vehicle is not in PARK
• Vehicle speed is 1.2 MPH (1.9 km/h) or less
• Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
• Driver’s door is ajar
• Brake Pedal is not depressed

The MESSAGE “ AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift
to Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.
Ran into this hooking up the horse trailer. Frustrating!

Buddy45

Reaction score
All this sounds good, but mine went in to autopark setting at stop light with brake on, door shut, & seat belt on. Message said hood unlathced, only have had this truck for four days and have never opened hood. Checked hood and it was latched.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
All this sounds good, but mine went in to autopark setting at stop light with brake on, door shut, & seat belt on. Message said hood unlathced, only have had this truck for four days and have never opened hood. Checked hood and it was latched.
That’s a new one. Maybe the sensor isn’t making full contact

Curlymurt

Reaction score
That’s a new one. Maybe the sensor isn’t making full contact
I've been having the chime come on and off for autopark disabled for a couple of weeks. It typically happens during normal driving. I haven't found a solution yet. I need to get the battery tested, but haven't had time. Sometimes those cause weird electrical grimlins.

Edit: just to give this some resolution without bumping the thread, I found the sensor directly in front of the driver's side front wheel had a loose connection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online