5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get rid of autopark

Bill G

Reaction score
I have major problem getting autopark disengaged when I am hooking up my RV. Sure wish I did not have this"feature" Any suggestions on how to totally take this unneeded item off of my 2019 Ram 1500

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure, it's usually off by default, maybe someone at the dealer turned it on. Go to Uconnect screen, under settings, you see Brakes, tap on that and you will see autopark and just uncheck it.

cra1g

Reaction score
Sure, it's usually off by default, maybe someone at the dealer turned it on. Go to Uconnect screen, under settings, you see Brakes, tap on that and you will see autopark and just uncheck it.

I think you're talking about the auto parking brake, and he's talking about the transmission automatically shifting to 'Park'.

If it's the latter, it's not something you can turn off permanently, but others have said you can just buckle the driver's seatbelt to stop it from happening (haven't tried it myself).

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I think you're talking about the auto parking brake, and he's talking about the transmission automatically shifting to 'Park'.

If it's the latter, it's not something you can turn off permanently, but others have said you can just buckle the driver's seatbelt to stop it from happening (haven't tried it myself).

Oh gotcha, yup, I was talking about Auto Parking brake.

Here is the manual: https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

On page 297 it talks about the Autopark system and how it can be operated and not operated.

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the
vehicle with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.
AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:

• Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and an 8-speed
transmission
• Vehicle is not in PARK
• Vehicle speed is 1.2 MPH (1.9 km/h) or less
• Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
• Driver’s door is ajar
• Brake Pedal is not depressed

The MESSAGE “ AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift
to Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the key to this is keeping the seatbelt buckled then? I didn’t think I had unbuckled mine when this happens? But maybe I did

It’s super annoying if you crack the door open to look back at the rear wheel when parking and the truck goes into P.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the key to this is keeping the seatbelt buckled then? I didn’t think I had unbuckled mine when this happens? But maybe I did

It’s super annoying if you crack the door open to look back at the rear wheel when parking and the truck goes into P.
I think this is due to that actor from Star Trek killing himself by getting out of his Jeep and then being crushed. After that they changed so it automatically switches to park if you have the door open and seatbelt undone.

ramhead

Reaction score
Just tested it. As long as the seatbelt is buckled it doesn’t work! Good find.

Yep...if anyone takes their truck to a car wash where you get out and it gets run through unoccupied, they have to buckle the driver's seat belt to have truck roll thru in Neutral.

Possum

Reaction score
At least there is a work around but man that's annoying. Probably causing a lot of stress on the transmission and motor mounts too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Divad

Reaction score
THIS YEAR JULY 9TH 2021 FRIDAY EVE AFTER OWNING THIS 2021 RAM LARAMIE 1500 TRUCK SINCE OCT. 2021 (WITH NO PRIOR INCIDENT) HAD THE VERY DANGEROUS AND TOTALLY UNNECESSARY INCIDENT (AT MY GARAGE AT HOME) OF THE TRUCK EMERGENCY BRAKE JAMMING ON AND, NOT KNOWING WHAT JUST HAPPENED EXCEPT THE TRUCK ACCELERATED AND LEARCHED FORWARD INTO THE REAR GARAGE WALL. (DAMAGE TO TRUCK $22K AND $20K TO GARAGE). Here is the BOTTOM LINE...
I spent 30 years in the Automotive Trade and I ALWAYS OPENED THE DRIVER'S DOOR TO ENABLE THE VISUAL OF THE DRIVER'S SIDE (LEFT) FRONT TIRE/WHEEL WITH RESPECT TO ALIGNMENT WHEN DRIVING ONTO A LIFT!
THEREFORE AFTER I PICKUP TRUCK FROM BODY SHOP, IF I CANNOT DISABLE OR REMOVE THE ENGAGEMENT OF THE EMERGENCY BRAKE AND THE SHIFTER JAMMING THE GEAR FROM DRIVE TO PARK WHEN OPENING THE DRIVER'S DOOR; THEN I AM RETURNING THE TRUCK AND WILL NOT OWN THIS OR ANY VEHICLE THAT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DRIVE WITH THE DRIVER DOOR OPEN AT A VERY SLOW CERTAINLY LESS THAN 1.2 MPH.
IF THE SITUATION ARISES THAT THE TRUCK NEEDS TO BE RETURNED AND RAM / CHRYSLER DOES NOT COOPERATE THEN I WILL BE GOING TO COURT!

IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1297.JPG

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I’m really confused by this post.
How long have you had this truck? Based on your dates, you’ve had it for negative two months. Did you mean October 2020?
The damage to the house looks significant, but I see what appears to be a largely damage-free truck sticking through the wall. Maybe all the damage is hidden, but I’m quite surprised to see what I see on the front end.
I’m also confused by what you’re saying happened. You say it engaged the emergency brake and shifted into park (when you opened the door), but you also said it lurched forward. Which is it?
And are you saying that this is suddenly a new behavior on your truck, that hasn’t happened in the negative two months that you have owned it?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Ok I’m really confused by this post.
How long have you had this truck? Based on your dates, you’ve had it for negative two months. Did you mean October 2020?
The damage to the house looks significant, but I see what appears to be a largely damage-free truck sticking through the wall. Maybe all the damage is hidden, but I’m quite surprised to see what I see on the front end.
I’m also confused by what you’re saying happened. You say it engaged the emergency brake and shifted into park (when you opened the door), but you also said it lurched forward. Which is it?
And are you saying that this is suddenly a new behavior on your truck, that hasn’t happened in the negative two months that you have owned it?
You and me both. 🤷‍♂️ I see some wheel spin marks on the floor but not sure how that would happen with the emergency brake on unless “someone” floored the accelerator also. Again I see 👀 user error Of some kind.

🤔 At least he has more room in his garage now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Me thinks Bill G should just stick to parking on the street...away from any buildings...or other cars...or people. :p

Scram1500

Reaction score
Devils advocate.... maybe the cruise control on and resume was bumped by accident, the steering wheel is a mine field of buttons

Nova90

Reaction score
So, you opened the door while the truck was moving slowly, the autopark engaged...then suddenly dis-engaged and drove forward thru the garage? I too find the autopark annoying mostly when backing up and taking a look at tire position, but have never had it disengage and suddenly drive forward. From the looks of the picture, you were not backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online