5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to cancell mopar protection plan?

Danoville

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I financed a 2019 ram 1500 in July this year and apparently the dealer used all kind of tricks to drain my pockets and well it worked for him, since it's my first time buying a brand new car. Long story short he charged me this:
$4,995 for 60,000/5 yr mopar max care
$1,995 for 50,000/5 yr schedule maintenance
$1,995 for some cheap wax

Now obviously he took advantage on me, I just totaled my previous car and had jobs going on and so.. anyeway
I realized the day after that the finance manger lied about that the package will lower the interest rate of the financing, I did some more research and found out how he overpriced everything.
I checked my options and after a month I went in and asked to cancel these add-ons. They claimed that the wax thing can not be canceled because it's taxed and some other lies but they gave me a form to cancel the warranty and said it might take up to 90 days. O-K.
Now to my question, on my copy of the cancellation form there is JM&A logo. I called them since it's been 90 days from the date I signed the cancellation form and the lady on the phone said there is no any case nor warranty with them to my vehicle. I called mopar because on their website I can see the details of the plan and their representative told me she doesn't see any cancellation request, but she told me I can personally send a request to their mail and gave me the address. Do I just write a letter with the details? can I take the dealer to small claim court? what do I do?

If anybody had any experience or have the knowledge how to deal with this situation please help me here. I'm a 26 yo, just got married and it's a lot of money for me!

Thanks in advance!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I financed a 2019 ram 1500 in July this year and apparently the dealer used all kind of tricks to drain my pockets and well it worked for him, since it's my first time buying a brand new car. Long story short he charged me this:
$4,995 for 60,000/5 yr mopar max care
$1,995 for 50,000/5 yr schedule maintenance
$1,995 for some cheap wax

Now obviously he took advantage on me, I just totaled my previous car and had jobs going on and so.. anyeway
I realized the day after that the finance manger lied about that the package will lower the interest rate of the financing, I did some more research and found out how he overpriced everything.
I checked my options and after a month I went in and asked to cancel these add-ons. They claimed that the wax thing can not be canceled because it's taxed and some other lies but they gave me a form to cancel the warranty and said it might take up to 90 days. O-K.
Now to my question, on my copy of the cancellation form there is JM&A logo. I called them since it's been 90 days from the date I signed the cancellation form and the lady on the phone said there is no any case nor warranty with them to my vehicle. I called mopar because on their website I can see the details of the plan and their representative told me she doesn't see any cancellation request, but she told me I can personally send a request to their mail and gave me the address. Do I just write a letter with the details? can I take the dealer to small claim court? what do I do?

If anybody had any experience or have the knowledge how to deal with this situation please help me here. I'm a 26 yo, just got married and it's a lot of money for me!

Thanks in advance!
I believe the wax part, as it's already been done. As for the warranty, I'd start by sending her the request via mail (after making a copy for your records). Of course, the warranty paperwork (assuming you have it) will have cancellation terms / procedures listed in it as well.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Agree, start getting items in writing. You got hosed on the Max Care portion, for sure;

$4,995 for 60,000/5 yr mopar max care - A 7 year, 125k, $0 deductible is going for $3,085. They should have told you that you can wait on this up until your 36k warranty is up.

john94si

Reaction score
i am cancelling mine also

CANCELLATION POLICY: If you are the original purchaser of the plan, and coverage under the plan has not expired or been terminated, you may cancel if you have not authorized transfer of plan coverage to a new owner. To cancel the plan, you may take your plan to any dealer. The dealer will contact us to request termination of your contract. If your vehicle is repossessed or rendered a total loss, and your plan was financed with your vehicle, your rights under this plan transfer to the lienholder.The lienholder is then responsible for requesting termination of the plan through the dealer where the plan was purchased. If the plan was not financed, any refund due will be paid to you by check in your name from FCA US LLC.
If there is no dealer in your area, mail your cancellation request, along with your plan provision, proof of payoff and current mileage on the vehicle to:
Mopar® Vehicle Protection
Cancelation Department
P.O. Box 2700
Troy, MI 48007-2700

On cancellation requests received* within the first 60 days from the original purchase date of the plan, you will be refunded the full amount you paid for the plan, provided no claims have been paid against the plan. In the event claims have been paid, or requests received* after 60 days, your refund will be based on the full amount you paid for the plan, less a pro-rata adjustment for time or mileage used, whichever is greater, less a $75 cancellation fee. We reserve the right to cancel the plan after issuance should it be discovered that: (a) the vehicle is ineligible or has been modified/altered to make it ineligible after plan coverage has been in effect; (b) failure of the customer to maintain the vehicle as prescribed by the manufacturer; (c) the odometer has been tampered with or has not been repaired by the customer; (d) non-payment of premium or (e) the vehicle is registered outside of the of the United States, Guam and Puerto Rico. Your refund will be based on the full amount you paid for the plan, less a pro-rata adjustment for the time or mileage used, whichever is greater, less claims paid.

A cancellation refund check will be made payable and issued to you if no lien exists. Whenever a lien exists, the cancellation refund check will be made payable and issued to the lienholder. Note: Plans sold beyond 12 months or 12,000 miles from the vehicle's original in-service date have a surcharge applied to the plan cost. $150 of the applicable surcharge is non-refundable after 60 days from the plan sale date. This statement does not apply to Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and Washington.

*Requests Received: The cancellation refund will be based on the date we receive written notification of the cancellation request.

I have a question that I did not see listed. Who can I contact for more information?
Please call Mopar® Vehicle Protection at 1-800-521-9922

Danoville

Reaction score
Ok so I contacted mopar again 2 weeks ago and I emailed them the information and proof that the dealer didn't send them my cancellation. They were actually very nice and helpful and two days ago I received checks in the mail for the full amount!
My next move going to be filling a small claim against the dealership and hope to get the money for the wax that was never actually applied on the truck. Then if i'll win I actually got a pretty good deal

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok so I contacted mopar again 2 weeks ago and I emailed them the information and proof that the dealer didn't send them my cancellation. They were actually very nice and helpful and two days ago I received checks in the mail for the full amount!
My next move going to be filling a small claim against the dealership and hope to get the money for the wax that was never actually applied on the truck. Then if i'll win I actually got a pretty good deal

We’re you able to cancel the maintenance contract as well? You said you got two checks so I assume one was for warranty and one was for maintenance?

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you got some of your money back....hope you learned a good lesson. If you ever buy a vehicle again...take somebody with you who understands auto negotiations and is big enough to smack the finance manager in the face. You got took......

Amprice4

Reaction score
I realized the day after that the finance manger lied about that the package will lower the interest rate of the financing,
This is actually illegal and the finance manager could get into big trouble if there was a way to prove it. You might want to talk to the GM of the dealership and just let them know that he has a rouge finance manager conducting shady business practices. I'm glad you got your money back!

cash4trash

Reaction score
Glad you got some of your money back....hope you learned a good lesson. If you ever buy a vehicle again...take somebody with you who understands auto negotiations and is big enough to smack the finance manager in the face. You got took......
Lmaooooo

Chris

Danoville

Reaction score
This is actually illegal and the finance manager could get into big trouble if there was a way to prove it. You might want to talk to the GM of the dealership and just let them know that he has a rouge finance manager conducting shady business practices. I'm glad you got your money back!

Oh the GM backed the FM when I went there to ask for my money back.. lol it's a croocked money machine under the name of russell westbrook van nuys.

Hell of a lesson. And after all I went through with this one I don't think I'm gonna need anybody with me in the next time. I just told part of the story it's too embracing. but what can I say, I had faith in people- no more

cash4trash

Reaction score
Oh the GM backed the FM when I went there to ask for my money back.. lol it's a croocked money machine under the name of russell westbrook van nuys.

Hell of a lesson. And after all I went through with this one I don't think I'm gonna need anybody with me in the next time. I just told part of the story it's too embracing. but what can I say, I had faith in people- no more
Yeah, the dealership

Yeah, there's some crooked salesman out there. They should only make the holdback plus a couple hundred dollars on a sale. I usually get part of the holdback on cars I purchase, or negotiate for family. The internet makes car buying a lot easier than before.

Chris

Justbry

Reaction score
As the saying goes “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.” The finance manager was doing his job to sell you those products. They aren’t bad to have. He could have charged you a lot less for them as they are all negotiable (unless you are in Florida) and you would have probably kept them. Overcharging the way he did is just plain out wrong and deceitful especially when he offered to give you a lower rate if you took them, that’s illegal. Good for you in cancelling and getting your money back, you can get your money back for the wax as well, contact the GM or owner, they will absolutely help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread