5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Add a Cargo Camera (Or Fail At It)

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
I decided to tackle adding a cargo camera to my 2020 Ram 1500. Based on the instructions that @Jimmy07 posted here, it seemed fairly straightforward. I purchased the following parts:

OEM LED Third Brake Light$372.68
12V Backup Camera$21.66
12V Outlet Circuit Splitter$27.73
RCA Pigtail$13.32
Radio Connector Terminal Sockets$9.07

The total cost for the parts, including taxes and shipping, was $444.46. I bought the RCA pigtail that plugs into the 4th Gen radio connector in the hopes that the terminal sockets would be the same for the 5th Gen. They're not.

The OEM LED third brake light has a molded feature that seems like it was designed for a cargo camera, but they don't (yet?) offer a version with a cargo camera built in. Consequently, the hardest part of this project will be installing the camera into the third brake light housing. Start by marking the exact center of the domed portion of the feature

PXL_20220402_124639690.jpg

Take an accurate measurement, ideally with calipers, of the width of the mounting collar for the camera. The collar for this specific camera measured at just over 17mm. The closest drill bit size I had, in a stepped drill bit, was 11/16", which is about 17.5mm. With the center of the plastic dome marked, drill it to size

PXL_20220402_125036865.jpg

Clean the hole up and test fit the camera collar

PXL_20220402_125050285.jpg

Now cut an access hole in the back side of the third brake light housing. I used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. Don't worry about the fact that the third brake light will be open, if you cut within the boundary of the gasket. There are already other intentional holes in the back of the housing. This is what it looks like removing a rectangular portion of the back side of the housing, across from the hole that was just drilled:

PXL_20220402_130529913.jpg

You can see that there's a direct path from this now open chamber to where the LED elements are.

PXL_20220402_130535629.jpg

I found I had a lot of plastic dust in where the LED elements are, as a result of drilling and cutting the housing, and had to blow it out with compressed air.

PXL_20220402_130608305.jpg

Test fitting the full assembly looks like this

PXL_20220402_131053616.jpg

Everything looked good so I used marine adhesive to seal the camera collar in place and then threadlocker between the camera and the collar. This ensures a watertight seal.

PXL_20220402_140226794.jpg

When I tested the camera, after it was installed and the adhesives had all dried, I found that it was just slightly off from level. This is because I used the mark on the body of the camera that indicates which way is up. That turned out to be too imprecise. If I was to do it again, I would assembly everything with the adhesives, and as soon as it was assembled, test the camera and dial it in to make sure it was level before the adhesives dried. Because I used threadlocker between the camera and the collar, the camera can still be removed, the threads cleaned, new threadlocker installed, and then the level dialed in. That was too much effort for me, for how little the level was off.

This is the installed assembly

PXL_20220408_180149881.jpg

Unfortunately, this is where the project ground to a halt. I have a 1500 Limited, with the 360 Surround View cameras. @Jimmy07 and I discovered, frustratingly after I had finished the hardware, that there's no set of configurations with AlfaOBD that will actually allow me to view an analog cargo camera feed on my UConnect. If I didn't have the 360 Surround View cameras, this would have worked.

Thanks again @Jimmy07 for all your help!

Cheers.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you for the work on this. I was wanting to do this, but I am working on adding the 360 Surround View so I guess I won't be adding this too.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if the backup camera in the tailgate is co-ax or solid wire. If co-ax, switching the backup camera to another camera in the brake light would give the either or result. ??????

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Nice work so far and thank you for being the guinea pig! This is a cool concept. I wouldn’t call it a failure yet.

I recently added the LED CHMSL to my ‘19 and was disappointed that they did not incorporate an additional cargo camera into the molded bulb portion on the right side of the housing. I have been looking for alternative ways to use the existing camera that is used for the digital rearview mirrors on the ‘21’s+, since us ‘19-20 owners are SOL due to BCM limitations. I have considered adding an auxiliary screen mounted either up high near the rearview mirror or on the passenger side of my Bulletpoint dual phone mount, which mounts to the dash cubby on top of the radio. It would be a nice setup to configure an auxiliary screen that was able to switch from both the existing camera in the LED CHMSL and an additional cargo camera like you added.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice. Looks Oem’ish which I’m a huge fan of. I might have to add this to my future to do list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ProjectsInMotion

Reaction score
I connected the RCA feed to my laptop and took this shot. This is what the cargo camera sees.

Cargo Camera Feed.png

This will be what UConnect will show you, if you connect it to your system and your system will support it.

Cheers

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put another OEM camera over the bed and an on/off/on toggle in the wiring. Truck will only see a camera, not where its mounted.

70runner

Reaction score
Dredging up an older thread, hoping there might be a solution to this mod. Would it work to wire this camera to the aux trailer camera input on an 8.4 w/surround, then activate the softkey with alfaobd?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dredging up an older thread, hoping there might be a solution to this mod. Would it work to wire this camera to the aux trailer camera input on an 8.4 w/surround, then activate the softkey with alfaobd?
Only if you have a 2021+ truck.

codyfisher

Reaction score
This is possible with the 360 camera. See here:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/video-input-with-dt-tazer-on-12”-360-camera-equipped-vehicles.19448/

Users who are viewing this thread