5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

Scarlet Beast

Reaction score
After installing the 360 Surroundview Camera System, I decided to put this together to help others. I know there are several others who have done this. If you have any extra input, please let me know. I will start with the parts list first. Make sure to read the notes. You may need to find the correct part number depending on your configuration or color. It was about $1200 using used items. About $2200 new.

Parts List
1 of CVPM - 68318033AI (Uconnect 4) or 56029964AF (UConnect 5)- This goes in the passenger kick panel. It comes with the mounting bracket.
4 of Camera - 68144068AD - It is the same camera. To save money, I bought used mirrors off of eBay and took the cameras out of them. The mirrors don't need to be in good condition.
1 of Driver Side Mirror - 68276511AG - These vary depending on blind spot monitoring, cap colors, and other options. I bought used ones from eBay.
1 of Passenger Side Mirror - 68276510AH - These vary depending on blind spot monitoring, cap colors, and other options. I bought used ones from eBay.
1 of Front Camera RAM Mount - 68341467AC - This could be different depending on the grill you have.
1 of Front Camera Bracket 1 - 68341480AB - Holds the front camera in the RAM mount.
1 of Front Camera Bracket 2 - 68365873AB - Holds the front camera in the RAM mount.
1 of Tailgate Handle - 6RN80GW7AA - This will vary depending on the color and type of tailgate you have. Replace GW7 with your color code that you can find on the placard on the inside of the driver side door.
1 of 68529657AA - Tailgate handle spacer. This holds the camera in the tailgate handle.
1 of 16.5' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Front Camera to CVPM
1 of 10' Fakra Z - Female to Female Amazon.com - Driver Side Mirror to CVPM
2 of 6' Fakra Z - Female to Female Amazon.com - Pass Side Mirror to CVPM, CVPM Output to Radio
1 of 6' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Rear Camera from Radio to CVPM
1 of 3' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Tailgate Camera Adapter
2 of #6 3/8 Stainless Screws - These are needed to install the front camera in the RAM
1 of Front Camera Jumper Harness - 68322480AD - This isn't really necessary, but it allows you to disconnect the camera easier when removing the grill.
1 of Wiring Harness for CVPM - Jimmy07 can make this for you. Just send him a PM.

Keep in mind that some of the parts listed above need to be researched depending on options on your truck.

The install is pretty simple, but time consuming. I am not going to go into detail on each item. I will give an overview. You can find videos and instructions on removing the items on YouTube and here.

Front Camera:
You need to remove the grill. Once it is removed, you need to remove the RAM letters and replace it with the new one with the camera. Too me, this was the longest part of the build. You can install the jumper harness now too.

Rear Camera:
You need to remove the tailgate handle and replace it with the one with the new camera. And NO, you cannot use the old camera. The new cameras have a wider degree of view. Use the Tailgate Camera Adapter cable in between the factory cable and the new camera.

Driver's side and Passenger side:
Replace the mirrors with the new ones. You will need to install the cameras in the mirrors unless you bought used ones off that already have them installed.

Running the cables:
I ran the front cable down the driver's side and went through one of the firewall rubber gaskets. Make sure to seal it back. I then ran the driver's side mirror and this one together under the dash over to the CVPM. The passenger side doesn't need much running as it is right there. You need to remove the radio. You will unplug the rear camera and plug in the cable to run it to the CVPM. Then plug the other cable into the radio and run it to the CVPM.

CVPM Install:
Remove the passenger side kick panel and install the CVPM. You can hook up all the cables. The CVPM is labeled for the different cameras. Then hookup the wiring harness and run it over to the fuse box. Make sure to plug it into one that comes on with remote start.

AlfaOBD Changes:
You will need an MX+ or switch the cables around. Again, I am not going to go into this as there is information about it already. If you have issues finding the settings, use the search in AlfaOBD.

VehConfig 1: Rear View Camera- NO
VehConfig 2: CHMSL Camera- NO
VehConfig 7: Full Central Vision Processing Present- YES
ECUConfig 3: Rear Camera Present- NO
Radio & Connectivity: Rearview Camera Zoom Buttons Present- YES
Radio & Connectivity: Surround View Camera On/Off Softkey Present- YES
CustSetMenu 1: Rear View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- NOT PRESENT
CustSetMenu 1: Rear Camera CSM Present- NO
CustSetMenu 2: Rear View Camera Delay CSM Present- NO
CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- YES
CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Delay CSM Present- YES
Cabin Net: CVPM Central vision processing- ENABLE

Once you do this, you should be able to at least see the front and rear cameras in the surround view display. You will now need to calibrate the surround view cameras. This is what you need the MX+ for. Plug in the MX+ using the SGW Bypass. You'll have to calibrate the cameras when you're done. Find an area that you can drive straight at about 4mph for about 400'. Connect to the CVPM in the radio module list. Run the camera calibrations individually for each camera.

Enjoy your new camera system. If you have questions, please post them in here. If I get more time, I will add more details. If anyone has more details to add, let me know and I will add them.
Looking to procuring the parts for this but my problem is my grill doesn't seem to be possible without modifications. I search the backing plate and it says the 68341467AC is compatible with my grill. I don't see how. Anyone that's done this on a 2019 Rebel have anything to add?

Daverous

Reaction score
Had to buy the whole grill to do it factory, boss. The rebel grill doesn’t have removable badging. You can fab something for cheap or spend the cash for a 21+ grill, your call. For what it’s worth I sold my factory grill for 300 and spent 450 on the replacement. Worth the 150 to me.

mjdrebel

Reaction score
Had to buy the whole grill to do it factory, boss. The rebel grill doesn’t have removable badging. You can fab something for cheap or spend the cash for a 21+ grill, your call. For what it’s worth I sold my factory grill for 300 and spent 450 on the replacement. Worth the 150 to me.
Do you have the part number for the grill.

I have a 2921 Rebel and want to start ordering the parts.

billybaloneey

Reaction score
I have acquired 2 used side mirrors in rough shape, but they have cameras. Is there a simple/easy way to test them, (the cameras by themselves), to see if they are still functional. The connection appears to be a coax cable...a center pin and a braded sleeve. I assume the center pin is the video feed as well as the voltage to power the cameras and the braded sleeve is ground (just guessing). In addition to testing the camera video functionality, can anyone confirm if the operate on 12v or 5v or some other voltage

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have acquired 2 used side mirrors in rough shape, but they have cameras. Is there a simple/easy way to test them, (the cameras by themselves), to see if they are still functional. The connection appears to be a coax cable...a center pin and a braded sleeve. I assume the center pin is the video feed as well as the voltage to power the cameras and the braded sleeve is ground (just guessing). In addition to testing the camera video functionality, can anyone confirm if the operate on 12v or 5v or some other voltage
No, you need the CVPM to test them.

billybaloneey

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of collecting all the parts to begin doing the 360 Surround View Camera add. Bought 2 more used side mirror assemblies...with cameras...and with the 2 cameras I pulled out of 2 other crappy side view mirrors I'm all set on the optical side of the project. Received all the Fakra Z cables from Amazon. Received the CVPM module (56029964AF, the first picture), today. Couldn't find a used one on eBay, so I ended up getting a new one. (I have a 2022 12" Uconnect 5 radio/head unit). Placed an order with Jimmy07 for the wiring harness, it's in the mail. Still waiting on a new tailgate handle assembly.

Looking for conformation and/or correction about connecting the CVPM to the Uconnect 5 radio module. The second picture, I believe is the radio module, 2nd picture, is like what I have (I've torn into my center stack several times for other mods, but I never took a close look or remember seeing what cabling there actually is...specifically the Fakra cables.

1 - in the radio module picture, is the red/pink Fakra cable port (lower left) the current reverse camera cable connection?
2 - I assume that the red/pink Fakra cable port on the right side of the CVPM module is the output and it will now be cabled to the red/pink Fakra cable port on the radio module...if my question #1 is true?
3 - will the original rear camera cable now be connected to the CVPM module on the orange port labeled "BACK", via one of the mentioned Amazon Fakra cables needed?

Attachments

• CVPM Module-1.jpg
    CVPM Module-1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 57
  • RAM Radio Module-1.png
    RAM Radio Module-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of collecting all the parts to begin doing the 360 Surround View Camera add. Bought 2 more used side mirror assemblies...with cameras...and with the 2 cameras I pulled out of 2 other crappy side view mirrors I'm all set on the optical side of the project. Received all the Fakra Z cables from Amazon. Received the CVPM module (56029964AF, the first picture), today. Couldn't find a used one on eBay, so I ended up getting a new one. (I have a 2022 12" Uconnect 5 radio/head unit). Placed an order with Jimmy07 for the wiring harness, it's in the mail. Still waiting on new tailgate handle assembly.

Looking for conformation and/or correction about connecting the CVPM to the Uconnect 5 radio module. The second picture, I believe is the radio module, 2nd picture, is like what I have (I've torn into my center stack several times for other mods, but I never took a close look or remember seeing what cabling there actually is...specifically the Fakra cables.

1 - in the radio module picture, is the red/pink Fakra cable port (lower left) the current reverse camera cable connection?
2 - I assume that the red/pink Fakra cable port on the right side of the CVPM module is the output and it will now be cabled to the red/pink Fakra cable port on the radio module...if my question #1 is true?
3 - will the original rear camera cable now be connected to the CVPM module on the orange port labeled "BACK", via one of the mentioned Amazon Fakra cables needed?
Yes, the output of the CVPM goes to the rear input on the radio module. I covered it all above in the instructions:

"You will unplug the rear camera and plug in the cable to run it to the CVPM. Then plug the other cable into the radio and run it to the CVPM."

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
quick question on this subject: it does appear that you can install the camera’s in your existing mirrors, is there anything special required for this? Obvious where to drill the holes? anything special to attach the camera to the mirror?.. not having to buy mirrors will make this project make more sense$$ wise…. 4 cameras, Tailgate handle, figure out the grill, a module and some wires, and we be ready…. Parts list on page one is a lot of help… will make sure I will buy the right module for a 2021 non tow mirror..
Pete

2021dodger4m

Reaction score
From Jimmy
LX can’t do it (can’t connect to CVPM).
EX and MX+ can.
Also, the vLinker MC and MC+ can do it too.
What do you do when the Mx+ can’t connect to the CVPM. I tried plugged into the gateway and not plugged into the gateway.

St-na

Reaction score
What do you do when the Mx+ can’t connect to the CVPM. I tried plugged into the gateway and not plugged into the gateway.
Did You follow procedure: Post in thread '2019 ram 1500 tow mirror with 360' 2019 ram 1500 tow mirror with 360
If You have more questions use "search " button on top, type CVPM and You will see a reply on any questions You may have.

billybaloneey

Reaction score
I finally managed to collect all the parts needed for my 2022 RAM 1500 Lone Star, and install them, and I have images from all the cameras. I have all of the AlfaOBD commands entered. Yesterday I attempted the calibration procedue...the front camera calibrated almost immediately, the right camera calibrated after multiple tries. Could not get the left or rear camera to calibrate. I've followed all the suggested calibration steps mentioned in earlier posts. I'll be trying again today.

Question: Does the truck need to be driven in "reverse" to calibrate the rear camera?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I finally managed to collect all the parts needed for my 2022 RAM 1500 Lone Star, and install them, and I have images from all the cameras. I have all of the AlfaOBD commands entered. Yesterday I attempted the calibration procedue...the front camera calibrated almost immediately, the right camera calibrated after multiple tries. Could not get the left or rear camera to calibrate. I've followed all the suggested calibration steps mentioned in earlier posts. I'll be trying again today.

Question: Does the truck need to be driven in "reverse" to calibrate the rear camera?
No, you don't drive in reverse. Sometimes you just have to keep trying. Make sure you are on a road that has a lot of changes, like lines, curbs, etc. This will allow the system to pick everything up. And last, do all the cameras at once. No need to do each one.

St-na

Reaction score

Had the same issue, clearing faults solved the problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_105548.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_105548.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 31

billybaloneey

Reaction score
Second attempt at calibration yielded inconsistant results...the successful calibrations I did yesterday were not duplicated today...I did clear the error codes prior to testing...I tried the "Enforced Calibration"...the all at once calibration...it failed...I tried the "Only Cameras with Invalid Calibration"...that failed...and I tried all of the individual cameras. Yesterday I couldn't get the rear camera to calibrate...today I got it to calibrate once, then it failed on additional attempts. I have yet to get a successful calibration of the left camera. As I mentioned earlier, I have individual images from all 4 cameras so I know the fakra video cables and connections are good. I thought the CVPM would remember successful individual camera calibrations, but that does not appear to be the case. I'm suspecting I have a bad CVPM...placing an order of another one.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read through this post over a couple of days so I may have missed it. The first post has me a bit confused, which is not that hard nowadays. Are folks replacing the whole mirror with one that comes with the camera or are you buying used mirrors off of eBay and swapping out the bottom plastic with the camera hole and camera?

St-na

Reaction score
I read through this post over a couple of days so I may have missed it. The first post has me a bit confused, which is not that hard nowadays. Are folks replacing the whole mirror with one that comes with the camera or are you buying used mirrors off of eBay and swapping out the bottom plastic with the camera hole and camera?
Both, whatever is best for You and cheaper. Make You own decision.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Or, by the sounds of it, you can take apart your current mirrors, drill the hole in your existing mirror, (markings /brackets on the inside), install the camera, and put it all back together…..

2124Ram

Reaction score
I’m confused as well. I’ll be drilling holes in my mirror housings as well for the camera. Just don’t know if the camera’s in the mirror housing needs a bracket to be secured in the housing?
I’ve searched up and down and still have yet to find a definitive answer/pictures to this question. If the side mirror camera does need a bracket, what is the part #? If the side mirror cameras do not need a bracket, do they stay secured in the housing some other way?

Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I’m confused as well. I’ll be drilling holes in my mirror housings as well for the camera. Just don’t know if the camera’s in the mirror housing needs a bracket to be secured in the housing?
I’ve searched up and down and still have yet to find a definitive answer/pictures to this question. If the side mirror camera does need a bracket, what is the part #? If the side mirror cameras do not need a bracket, do they stay secured in the housing some other way?

This is been answered on the thread before. But the mirrors already have a place to screw into them. You just need to drill the housing. Then install the camera with a screw. There are pictures on here as well. Once it gets warmer outside, I will be doing it to my mirrors and I'll provide pictures and update the main post.

St-na

Reaction score

Post in thread 'Adding 360 Surround camera for 2019-21 1500 Rebel' Adding 360 Surround camera for 2019-21 1500 Rebel

Users who are viewing this thread